NOW EBAY IS CHARGING US SALES TAX ON OUR MONTHLY EBAY FEES...THAT'S IT EBAY I AM DONE

WHAT ABOUT SALES OUT OF COUNTRY ..WE DON'T CHARGE THEM TAX ETC...THAT'S ANOTHER $150 A MONTH I HAVE TO EAT???..I HAVEN'T CHANGED ALL MY 2800 LISTINGS FROM THE LAST CHANGE AND SPENT ALL LAST SUMMER CHANGING THEM AGAIN OVER TO CDN $..IT IS BAD ENOUGH YOU CHARGE ON THE SHIPPING WHICH WE DON'T GET BACK WHEN WE HAVE TO REFUND BECAUSE THE BUYER BOUGHT 2 DIFFERENT ITEMS AND PAID INSTEAD OF WAITING FOR AN INVOICE...AFTER 4 YEARS OF BUILDING THIS EBAY STORE IT IS BY FAR MORE HASSLE THAN IT IS WORTH...GOING OUT OF BUSINESS SALE TO FOLLOW..

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

NOW EBAY IS CHARGING US SALES TAX ON OUR MONTHLY EBAY FEES...THAT'S IT EBAY I AM DONE

@the-dart-guy wrote:

WHAT ABOUT SALES OUT OF COUNTRY ..WE DON'T CHARGE THEM TAX ETC...THAT'S ANOTHER $150 A MONTH I HAVE TO EAT???..

So you're paying over $12000 in eBay fees per year?

If GST/HST on eBay fees is an $150 extra a month, then why are you not registered for GST ?

When registered the GST/HST paid to eBay becomes a ITC (Input Tax Credit) -- a deduction.

-..-

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

WHAT ABOUT SALES OUT OF COUNTRY ..WE DON'T CHARGE THEM TAX ETC...

Yes, you have a valid point...

GST/HST should only be charged on the monthly Store Subscription and on any FVF's related to sales within Canada.  

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Are you not registered for GST etc collection and remittance?

If you paying that much in tax on fees, you are well over the minimum required by the Canadian government. Have your bookkeeper or accountant fix that immediately, as audits are a painful experience.

If you are any GST you pay on purchases becomes a deduction and then there are input tax credits on the items you don't sell domestically.

Before we retired, we exported enough that those tax credits actually were a profit centre.

Seriously, if your bookkeeper doesn't know this, you need a new bookkeeper.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Yes same here,whatever listings I have up for sale I'll just let expire if nobody buys...I'm done selling too... enough is enough!

Spoiler
Smiley Mad
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

If your sales worldwide PLUS postage are over $30,000  you should be registered to collect GST/HST.

There are a couple of discussions elsewhere about..

(1) GST/HST

(2) Input tax Credits ...................... and then

(3) Why does eBay charge a fee on the price of an item plus postage

Go read those discussions 

First/......

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Canadian-sellers-to-be-charged-GST-HST-QST-on-all-fees-ef...

Second ....

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/GST-HST-on-eBay-Fees/m-p/319803#M52185

and more in Seller Central.

------------------------------------------------------

If your annual total for  sales plus postage have been over $30,000  you are in hot water.

Register to collect GST/HST  and you can deal with the tax on fess as an Input Tax credit..... and and the tax on eBay fees becomes no big problem... just some extra bookkeeping.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

The next question .....

Does Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) know that you are selling on eBay?

and if not... you are in very hot boiling water....

These discussions can be read by anyone on the internet... including CRA.

This gives me chills......

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Ok all you members..I know all about the tax thing Hst and GSt...that is not the point I was trying to make..It is the constant changes and charges that I have to spend months updating all my items...Charge on the shipping so a buyer buys 5 items and overpays on shipping then I refund the shipping on the 4 items cause I do not charge more than it cost, plus the padded mailer and now the ebay fees too...when I refund the buyer I do not get those fees all back and paypal takes their min..30 cents on each transaction so I don't get that back either..Some items I only make 30 cents...And the light packet shipping option taken away so the buyer in the USA just saw his shipping rate on a $4 items that has to go in a padded mailer rise from $6 to $8 and now after the first of the year when Ebay or Shippo stop giving us this temporary discount on the small packet option I will have to charge them $10 to break even..There goes half my USA business at least...I am just a guy near retirement with no company pension or benefits try to build something up to help in those years but really this Ebay thing is way more trouble and BS than it is worth.  Everytime Ebay or Paypal or Canada Post make these changes It requires me to spend endless night and weekends to keep up or my little profit goes up in smoke...Tired of it.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Each and every Canadian seller on eBay  has to face the same reality.

Canadian sellers are unique because we know how to adjust, and each of us is successful in our own way..

Canadian sellers  always find a way to make it happen.... We do make it happen

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

You say.......".I am just a guy near retirement" 

You just might be surprised to find out how many of the sellers  on eBay  are already retired..

They do this to keep functional ... mentally atleast.....   Sometimes my knees will tell me otherwise

Personally I say... I am crazy to do this...  but then I would be crazy not to do this.... I do quite well on eBay.

It is one thing to sell on eBay... and it is something very different  to lay back and count the bumps on the ceiling.

-------------------------------------

My mother made it to 94... because she stayed functional  in her crochet work  She kept a photographic record and they were gorgeous... absolutely and totally gorgeous  in the color and patterns  in each crocheted bed covering.

She could also sew-up  a comforted cover using scrap pieces of cloth...  dark very light colors..with a very complex design

She knew how to make it happen... She retired at age 64....  and said ..."what next"... One year later  she had lots to do..  Mentally she made it happen...  Physically it was a totally different story.

In her last years, her favorite words were   "the next one will be my last".... but then it quickly became ... "I need more wool to make another crocheted item.."   and guess who found more wool at a good price.....

She never sold her completed items... but she did give away many presents.....  to those that helped her in her last years...the home care people.

--------------------------------------------

Message 10 of 10
latest reply