is eBay lessening their fees to Canadians to help with the new Sales tax?

The new tax eBay is charging Canadians effective July 1/17 will make the percentage I give them on a transaction depending on the item including what they take for postage & of course PayPal will be approximately 18%. 

With this Canadian Tax will eBay and PayPal lessen what they charge us for using their site to help seller's charge a reasonable price to buyers, I sure hope so or prices will be too high to attract  sales?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

@maureenr5700 wrote:

... With this Canadian Tax will eBay and PayPal lessen what they charge us for using their site to help seller's charge a reasonable price to buyers, I sure hope so ...

Simple answer: No.

This will be (depending where in Canada you are) an extra 0.5 to 1.5% of the sale price for sellers who are not GST/HST registered, don't have a store, and don't have TRS status.

Those who are GST/HST registered will see no change (just some extra bookkeeping for the ITC).

-..-

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

will be approximately 18%. 

Or roughly what it has been since the introduction of Paypal circa 2004.

I allow 20% of my selling prices for monthly fees including listing fees and store rental. Usually I am pleasantly surprised that it is lower.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

will be approximately 18%. 

Or roughly what it has been since the introduction of Paypal circa 2004.

I allow 20% of my selling prices for monthly fees including listing fees and store rental. Usually I am pleasantly surprised that it is lower.

Numbers, numbers...

My eBay fees the last invoice were 11.52% of sales (if taxed that would have been 13.02%).

My Paypal fees for the same sales were 6.84%.

So 18.36% versus 19.86% taxed (Ontario 13% HST rate)

If I'd been able to make those same sales over on the A-river it would have worked out to 25.1% (professional) or 25.8% (individual).

-..-

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Its NOT a new tax...its a tax they should have been collecting as they've been providing a service for years. RevCan simply took away the exemption loophole that Ebay had bribed some previous government into giving them.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I allow 20% of my selling prices for monthly fees

I allow 20%-- but between TRS discounts and free listings, it is usually well below that.

Being a pessimist about my expenses, makes me happy at month end when they are lower than expected.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

"With this Canadian Tax will eBay and PayPal lessen what they charge us for using their site to help seller's charge a reasonable price to buyers, I sure hope so or prices will be too high to attract  sales?"

HaHaHaHaHa

Message 7 of 7
latest reply