How much do I refund?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently sold an item and the buyer claims that it is not look like the photo. Although I have no idea what he is referring to, I agreed to send him a refund, no problem. 

The buyer wanted me to create a refund label but my shipping company, Shippo, claims that this is not an option for international shipping. So I asked the buyer if it would be ok if I gave him a refund and he could ship the item back to me. He agreed, reluctantly I think, but said not to refund yet because he would have to find out how much it would cost to ship the item back to me and he would get back to me with the amount so that I would know how much to refund.

I was going to refund him the item cost and the shipping amount for the initial shipping but it looks like he wants me to pay for the 2nd shipping amount also.

Do I pay for the 2nd shipping also? Doesn't seem right since the item that he got was exactly as described. His reason for returning was that it didn't look the same as the photo. It's a red rose miniature figurine! 

What is your advice please? Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

I was going to refund him the item cost and the shipping amount for the initial shipping but it looks like he wants me to pay for the 2nd shipping amount also.

No refund without Return.

And let him know that if he opens an actual Dispute, it will simplify things since often eBay will send the return shipping label for the appropriate postal authority and then charge you.

It's amazing how often these problems disappear when you say Return and File a Dispute.

If you get it back there are two benefits for you.

You may learn something about how your packaging let you down or how better to describe items.  You will be a better seller.

You may find there is nothing wrong with the item and be able to resell it to a more appreciative buyer.

You won't make any money on the sale, perhaps not even on the resale, but we learn something new every day.

Whether we want to or not.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Which country is the buyer located? If they are in the US you can print a USPS label through Shippo. One of the posters recently posted directions on how to do it.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/How-to-Print-a-Return-Label-for-US-Return/m-p/449680#M12...

You didn't mention if they opened a return request but if they if do and the reason they use is that the item is not as described, broken etc (a seller related problem) and you want the item back.....ebay requires that you pay for return shipping and then refund for the item and original shipping once you get the item back.  Even if you think that the buyer is not being reasonable, ebay still requires that you either accept the return or refund without a return. 

In most cases I would ask the buyer to open a return request if they haven't already as then everything is transparent through ebay. Plus, if the buyer happens to be fishing for a partial refund but really want to keep the item, asking them to open a return may cause them to change their mind.