I have a buyer asking me to end an item they are bidding on early and to switch the item

I have a buyer asking me to end an item they are bidding on early. Plus they want that same item switched from an auction to a buy it now. I have said no to both requests. Does this request violate ebay rules? 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I have a buyer asking me to end an item they are bidding on early and to switch the item

If they withdraw their bid, you are then free to do what you want, that is, if there are no other bids.  You can then add "buy it now".   Hopefully they will then buy.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

If they withdraw their bid, you are then free to do what you want, that is, if there are no other bids.  You can then add "buy it now".   Hopefully they will then buy.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@5688vivian wrote:

I have a buyer asking me to end an item they are bidding on early. Plus they want that same item switched from an auction to a buy it now. I have said no to both requests. Does this request violate ebay rules? 

Could be an impatient person or someone who thinks it's bargain/treasure and wants to buy it before anyone else discovers the auction.

The request does not violate eBay rules.

You can end an auction early if the price they have bid is an acceptable sale price. You are allowed to "... end an auction-style listing early and sell to the high bidder."

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/end_early.html

So no reason to cancel the auction and make it a BIN -- that way could cost you listing fees and no guarantee the requester will actually buy. Only reason to even consider a BIN switch is if the requester is promising a higher price than the current auction price.

-..-

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

How long does the auction have to run?

I'm guessing that this is for the FP Little People.

The auction ends in less than 48 hours, so I suspect he knows something you don't.

There's nothing illegal in what he is asking, but as a seller you should be watching out for your own interests.

Most bids arrive in the last few minutes of the auction.

Have you checked that none of them are particularly in demand?

If he is that frantic to get the doohickey, ask him if he also wants upgraded shipping which will cost (whatever Priority Post would be).

Offer the more expensive shipping service, before you cut out any other bidders.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

(I use 90210 as a zipcode for calculating US shipping costs.)

If he doesn't want it fast, then he wants it cheap.

Which means you will have other bidders.

Are we playing mind games?

Durn tootin'.

sadistic maniac.jpg

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I think your buyer is trying to get a sweet, sweet deal on that lot of Little People. 

What Buy It Now price does he expect? Surely not your opening bid. I would double it at least. You have a lot of Little People in that lot and they look to be in nice condition. As an aside, you say they are hand-washed but did you make sure the insides are dried? If not, you might find mildew issues.

-Person with a personal Little People collection

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Wait... the listing itself says that the Buy It Now (BIN) price is no longer available now that it has bids. 

There are two bids and both came from the same buyer.

Meaning he overwrote the BIN price when he or she started to bid..... But now wants it at Buy it Now.

I suspect this buyer is trying to wrangle a too-cheap deal from you.

What was your original Buy It Now price? It must have been 30 per cent higher at minimum. 

Is that what the buyer is now prepared to pay?

This smells funny to me. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply