I have to make an insurance claim with Canada Post. This is the 3rd item received damaged. Not happy

I just received 5 pics from a buyer; his 1:18 scale diecast car came DAMAGED!  the postal service must have played football with it.  I have my original pics, his of the damage and the shipping slip.  Have never done this before; but this is the third parcel damaged in shipping.  Enough is enough.  Anyone have experience/advice?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

One package could be the shipper's fault.

Three?

Perhaps you need to use stronger packaging.

I attended an eBay seminar some years (golly 15 years!) back, where a Canada Post official explained that our packages would rarely be handled by human beings. I've been in PO terminals and this is true. Conveyor belts and wheeled bins.

Now some of those belts have drops from one to the next of up to two feet. That's why there is a maximum size for packages, because bigger and they get stuck in the machinery.

And the heaviest parcels run around 50 lbs.

So your package may have a 50lb box drop two feet on top of it.

Can your packaging withstand that?

Now about your immediate problem.

Your buyer sent pics of a* damaged item and of the shipping slip.

What you need is a picture of the parcel and -- this is important-- of the markings that USPS and Canada Post put on all damaged packages explaining what happened. (Not very clearly, but at least they explain which postal service caused the damage).

Here's an example -- rather old-- of a damaged envelope with the appropriate postal markings.

cadiz disaster cover 1.jpeg

There should be a printed notice and either tape or stamps on the damaged parcel. Damaged parcels are also usually wrapped in plastic to prevent further damage.

Without these markings, it is possible that the buyer is showing you something already* in his collection that he plans to upgrade for free.

*I am old and cynical.

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Canada Post will cover damage to the box  if the item inside in the book is damaged.

If the item inside the box is breakable, and the item is damaged/broken in transit ... the damage is not covered by Canada Post.

It is the responsibility of the seller to package a breakable correctly  , and will not break in transit.

The keyword to the claim is.....  breakable.....  or not.....

A large oil painting was damaged in transit....  Painting was not framed behind glass.... Damage to the box in which the painting was shipped was obvious... a photo of the box and damage to the painting was forwarded to Canada Post.....  and Canada Post covered this damage.

If a framed  painting/watercolor,  behind glass,  was shipped  and the glass broke in transit,  this damage would not have been insured by Canada Post

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2017

agoglass
Community Member

Canada Post's insurance covers lost items only.  Does not cover damage. I learned this the hard way when a well packaged item with fragile stickers all over the parcel arrived at its destination , crushed and broken inside.

So don't bother paying for extra insurance, it doesn't help.

Firstly, I will assume you send your diecast cars in boxes as opposed to mailers. And that the boxes are shipping containers and not repurposed cereal boxes. Secondly, if a box is damaged in transit, you need photographic evidence of the box. Be aware that Canada Post will mark a box damaged in transit as 'damaged in transit' and there is a special adhesive pounch that gets added to the box containing that document. Also, the recipient can refuse the item on those grounds.

What was the value and/or scarcity of the item? I can think of one easy scam that involves free replacements via unwitting ebay sellers, especially smaller ones like yourself.