Is there any Seller Protection when dealing with a "maybe" damaged item received in the US?

I'm unfortunately dealing with a seasoned scammer potentially and am starting to shake my head what protection I have as a seller? This Buyer claims 7 days after receiving item arrived that its broken but hasn't sent me photos yet. Buyer got combined discount shipping two items together and completely got a deal on items won. Buyer purchased no Insurance or Tracking and my auctions clearly state no returns. Buyer admits her delivery carriers are always rough with her parcels and she has many damage claims but she admits she has not reported them. Buyer now expects full item refund. shipping refund and to keep "broken" item or i pay for return shipping to me.

I have offered refund for item and I provided tracking free.Item is family heirloom and not replaceable. Can Ebay seriously award her a refund for item shipping and me pay return? If so I seriously don't see how a Seller is protected from scammers or buyers misusing canada to usa "insurance" policies knowing Canada seller has disadvantage. She resells this same china and currently even is reselling same bowl she claims is broken on a different site right now. I am both a Buyer and a Seller and very fair but this seems ridiculously one-sidedly unfair no?!

Accepted Solutions (2)

Accepted Solutions (2)

Buyer purchased no Insurance or Tracking and my auctions clearly state no returns.***

So you sent it LetterPost or Light Packet? Those are the only two Canada Post services that are not insured for up to $100 against loss or damage in shipping.

These are limited to items less than 2 cm high. This means your item was almost certainly insured automatically.

Small Packet USA is not "tracked", but is insured by Canada Post. Expedited USA is "Delivery Confirmed" which is what Paypal calls "tracking". It is also insured up to $100 by Canada Post.

So.

Ask that the damaged item be returned for a "full refund". This is the standard practice based on Paypal's policies. While she should be using a Delivery Confirmed method, she may be willing to trust that you will in fact refund when it arrives, DC or not. (Dishonest people are less likely to be this trusting.)

The return will cost her something over $20 for Global Priority shipping. Much less if she uses First Class International which is not Delivery Confirmed.

Because of the other issues you mention, I think you should insist on the return, in the original packaging "so that I can learn what problems my packing may have caused". EBay and Paypal will stand behind the demand for the return and will not  refund until she can prove delivery.

When the item is returned, examine it. Remember, she may be completely honest and the damage may have been caused by poor packing and rough handling.* Or you may get back an entirely different piece.

If you get back the same piece and it is not as you described it, you refund BEFORE PAYPAL** does. Then you go to Canada Post with your insurance claim. Phone, don't go to the local PO and don't email. The phone clerks are much more helpful.

*The PO reminds us that packaging should be able to withstand their automated conveyor belt system. A parcel may drop two feet from one belt to another and then have the next parcel, which weighs 50 lbs, drop on top of it. Is your china ready for that?

**You do NOT want PP to refund and then come after you. Try always to settle before the customer goes to eBay/PP. If you lose a case, it goes on your record and costs you in restrictions on listings (number and value), lower placement in Search, and loss of TRS fee discounts.

***You cannot ask the buyer to pay extra for insurance or Delivery Confirmation. And as noted, these are either automatic with Canada Post or not available at all. Don't copy the Terms and Conditions of other sellers. They are likely to be wrong, especially if the seller is dealing with an entirely different postal system.

When you state "no returns" this does not prevent refund claims. They are not the same thing. And because saying no returns is a challenge a legitimately unhappy buyer may go directly to a Dispute instead of discussing and resolving the problem with you.

If you refund and provide funds for return , scammer may simply keep funds and not return. PayPal claim prevents that happening as must be returned with tracking.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Thanks Femmefan for the detailed information. Box was new and made to ship fragile items. Yes tracking was provided and Insurance but have you tried to get a canadapost damage claim refund? I have heard it is very long and not always given. A royal pain...

Buyer did admit packing was good. She finally sent me photos today, 4 bowls in it just like mine but she would not send me a closeup of bottom stamp for me to compare. She then escalated case to a claim and for ebay to decide.

This is where the info you gave does not apply in my case I guess. Since I gave detailed info on my end and my opinion on what this buyer is doing to misuse ebay buyer protection policies etc... and.... I WON! So in my case Ebay did listen to the Sellers side and have some empathy. Buyers and Sellers need equal protection here since without Sellers there is no Ebay!

Cheers

"Insurance protects you not the Buyer"....I have thought alot about this and It seems Insurance still protects the buyer to not the seller. I had a long convo with my mom about this (regarding china) She sends me family owned china, it breaks she gets reimbursed (hopefully) I am out no $ as the recipient.

But I receive China and sell it here, Buyer claims it arrives damaged, I then file claim, repay buyer and am then out the China(damaged and not resellable if I get it back) and the profit $? Since a claim is never enough to cover my cost(investment) and sold amount. So how is a seller protected at all and compensated if a buyer claims damaged or not received? The only Sellers I find that can eat a lost or damaged item is multiple listed common products or very low value items.

Hope I explained that properly! 🐵 Does anyone get what I mean, being a Smaller Seller here with usually unique items and not alot of the same inventory I get a few of "these Buyers" in a row I am not able to sell on here since my profit margin is not huge and my shipping I charge is also quite low to generate more sales and interest.

Cheers!

Yes it is a Bummer and I feel she should definetly have to provide photos of my damaged bowl for proof. She already started not as described claim through ebay. I'm definetly not giving in on paying for return shipping and I want my item back"
since it is a family owned vintage china piece. She has same one listed right now on another site. How do I know she didn't break that one and is using mine as a replacement?! She admits she files many received damaged claims. I do wish in this case Ebay took that into consideration that she has an admitted shipping issue on her end and is misusing this arrived damage policy. Keep item
provide no proof of damage and resell for triple amount on a different site? WOW if ebay allows that so easily and she is a long time Buyer here....its shocking I'm the first Seller to stand up and report her. Thankfully she is the first in 10 years I have dealt with like this. :o)"

PS..insurance/ tracking /no returns..have no role in not as described claims. Insurance protects you , not buyer.

Hi surrealgirl..  A bummer.  Normally, seller is responsible for delivering an item to buyer as purchased. Broken, proved by pictures,  seller would refund and provide cost of return if they want it back.

Now , PayPal.. if buyer files will refund payment including shipping but require return at buyer's expense. You can respond to the dispute/claim  (buyer refused request for pictures and you want item back)

You feel you are being scammed and without pics perhaps the way to go is refuse to refund and force the PP claim. Buyer then has to make a decision and if not broken, may back off.

Bummer because may leave poor feedback which can hurt but sometimes a line must be drawn.