Item not received... Fraud ?

After buying an item a member (from Canada) contacted me to ask if I could ship at a cheaper price (and also avoid paying the sale tax...). I offered shipping the thing using standard mail, no tracking, but at his risk, to which he agreed. Now he has opened a case with ebay for an item not received... Pretty sure that I've been defrauded. Since there was an agreement, at the buyer's request, any chance ebay could setlle the case in my favor ?

View Entire Topic

When he asked to avoid paying the sale tax, it was a red flag that he was going to cheat you.

Unless you are registered to remit sales taxes in his province, you are not collecting or remitting taxes.

And he told you he wanted to cheat the government, so he told you he was dishonest.

Shipping is not part of Best Offers in part to protect sellers from predators like this.

If you ship without Tracking, you give up basically any Seller Protection that eBay offers, which isn't much to begin with.

Some sales are not worth having.

You will lose the Dispute, you may as well refund now to avoid adding a Defect to your selling account which is worse than the money you lost.

I am truly sorry that you had this experience.

All that being said, most of my listings are Free Shipping and most of my items go out by LetterPost with no tracking.  And I have perhaps one claim a year, over four active selling accounts.

But I am confident enough to be able to refuse to downgrade shipping, although I will occasionally accept a lower selling price.