Does Shippo seem expensive to anyone else? I'm new but...wow.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone, I am a new seller on eBay and just discovered Shippo seems pretty expensive. I have a Solutions for small business account, I have my ebay and paypal connected, still for three parcels over the last week it has cost me cost me close to $75. Also the invoices don't seem very detailed, does it seem like the billing should be a little more transparent? I don't have exact dimensions handy, and also I do realize, being new I am probably ignorant, but I just found it a tad expensive. I really hate their billing system too, I expect to pay as I go, not find them yanking almost $60 out my paypal in one shot. Ouch.

The only large item was a metal detector but the other two were quite small and not heavy. Should I just stick with using Canada Post? I would really appreciate any advice please. Thank you and have a nice weekend.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Here are the standard prices for Canada Post shipping.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

And here are the Snap Ship rates:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/business/shipping/find-rates-ship/snap-ship.page

Shipping in Canada is expensive.

We have to do what we can to reduce our costs.

Let me tell you the good news about Cookie Jar Insurance.

You don't need to track everything. As Canadian sellers our metric for tracking is much looser than our US competitors.

And a good thing too, since they can track anything (domestic) for less than a quarter.

Cookie Jar Insurance means that rather than tracking everything, you add a small amount to every selling price as a self-insurance premium against disputes and claims.

Those pennies and nickels go into a virtual Cookie Jar.

Since most people are honest, those complaints will be few and far between**.

Cookie Jar Insurance takes the sting away.

If you get a complaint, BEFORE it turns into a Dispute, you settle the problem* with the money in your virtual Cookie Jar.

Most sellers who use Cookie Jar Insurance report that they make money on those premiums.

In some of your categories, including gaming**** and collectible toys, the demographic is such that I would be tracking.

And anything that is going by Parcel rates will be tracked in any case.

But if you can ship LetterPost/Lightpacket, consider using those cheap services. ***

*This doesn't mean you don't do your due diligence. You are allowed to ask for the item back (or a photo of the damage) before refunding.

**And frankly, most of those you do get will be justified. 

*** Again this works best for inexpensive items.

**** Some of my dear friends are gamers and I'm an SF/F fan, but ... heard of Gamergate? There are some not nice people out there.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

@Anonymous wrote:

... I am a new seller on eBay and just discovered Shippo seems pretty expensive. I have a Solutions for small business account, I have my ebay and paypal connected, still for three parcels over the last week it has cost me cost me close to $75. Also the invoices don't seem very detailed, does it seem like the billing should be a little more transparent? I don't have exact dimensions handy, and also I do realize, being new I am probably ignorant, but I just found it a tad expensive. I really hate their billing system too, I expect to pay as I go, not find them yanking almost $60 out my paypal in one shot. Ouch.

The only large item was a metal detector but the other two were quite small and not heavy.

If you are getting the eBay discounted rate through Shippo it should be better than the Solutions for Small Business rate for:

Canada: Expedited Parcel

USA: Small Packet Air, Tracked Packet, Expedited Parcel

International: Small Packet Air

Everything else should match your Solutions for Small Business rate through Canada Post.

Labels through PayPal currently have discounts for Small Packet Air (for USA and International).

Everything else should match your Solutions for Small Business rate.

The exception for October is Canada Post's Snap Ship free shipment Tuesdays. One free shipment per Tuesday (local time) of either Expedited Parcel or Xpresspost to an address in Canada.

-..-

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Here are the standard prices for Canada Post shipping.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

And here are the Snap Ship rates:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/business/shipping/find-rates-ship/snap-ship.page

Shipping in Canada is expensive.

We have to do what we can to reduce our costs.

Let me tell you the good news about Cookie Jar Insurance.

You don't need to track everything. As Canadian sellers our metric for tracking is much looser than our US competitors.

And a good thing too, since they can track anything (domestic) for less than a quarter.

Cookie Jar Insurance means that rather than tracking everything, you add a small amount to every selling price as a self-insurance premium against disputes and claims.

Those pennies and nickels go into a virtual Cookie Jar.

Since most people are honest, those complaints will be few and far between**.

Cookie Jar Insurance takes the sting away.

If you get a complaint, BEFORE it turns into a Dispute, you settle the problem* with the money in your virtual Cookie Jar.

Most sellers who use Cookie Jar Insurance report that they make money on those premiums.

In some of your categories, including gaming**** and collectible toys, the demographic is such that I would be tracking.

And anything that is going by Parcel rates will be tracked in any case.

But if you can ship LetterPost/Lightpacket, consider using those cheap services. ***

*This doesn't mean you don't do your due diligence. You are allowed to ask for the item back (or a photo of the damage) before refunding.

**And frankly, most of those you do get will be justified. 

*** Again this works best for inexpensive items.

**** Some of my dear friends are gamers and I'm an SF/F fan, but ... heard of Gamergate? There are some not nice people out there.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
My thanks for the answers. I am still sorting it out with Shippo, seems my Solutions for Small Business is not connecting properly but Shippo customer service has been very helpful.
Have a great day everyone.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply