Problem with Shippo and DHL

A warning for anybody using Shippo to create DHL shipments.  Check over all your invoices.   

For the past 4 months I have been getting overcharges on random shipments. The packages I ship are sometimes 1-2 pounds, but DHL will bill me for 40-50 or even 100 lb parcels.  On international shipments you can guess how much this adds up to!

I have tried to figure out where the problem is coming from but, I don't think either of the parties really care.  One of them however does have a serious problem.  Shippo blames DHL, and DHL blames Shippo.  The problem seems to involve the volumetric weight calculation which is determined by the package dimensions.

Here is an example:

-you enter 9x6x3" and 1 lb.

-Shippo  returns the correct price quote.

-You create the label, check the shipment history manifest and the correct dimensions and price appear in the Shippo shipment manifest.

-DHL however claims Shippo passed it volumetric dimensions for a 100 lb. box (they however could never prove this to me.  They refused to provide any dimensions on the problem shipments).  They do a re-weigh at the depot, but the values are ignored if you enter a larger weight on the waybill.  Basically they bill you for whichever weight is greater.

I have no more patience to deal with this issue.  So I have decided to dump both of these services.   Currently giving Shipstation a go.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Thank you for the insight. 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Your posting id is located eBay.com USA. Are you having this issue shipping from USA or Canada? Just wondering if this topic is relevant to Canadian sellers since most (all?) do not use DHL with Shippo.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Canada Post went metric in 1974.

It is possible that the problem is that by using Imperial measurements, you are getting incorrect information.

Rates can change on a gram or a centimeter.

Try changing to metric and see if that solves your problem.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I got a message that they are still investigating, if they get it resolved I will post the result.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply