SHIPPO

I refuse to send my articles sold to a department called Shippo....I find it juvenile and ridiculous....an insult....as far as Canadians go, many will turn to Kijiji...
Shippo equals Kindergarten...
Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

SHIPPO

You will not be sending your sold items to another "department", just your customer as usual. Shippo is merely a platform for printing shipping labels.
Message 2 of 48
latest reply

SHIPPO

Shippo has a pretty good rep and it would be almost impossible to find anyone worse than Pitney-Bowes!

I'm not sure why eBay didn't go with Stamps/Endicia but certainly happy they dumped PB as a postage provider.

I don't understand where you got the idea you would be sending anything to Shippo?????

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 48
latest reply

SHIPPO

@recped wrote:

I'm not sure why eBay didn't go with Stamps/Endicia but certainly happy they dumped PB as a postage provider.

Multicarrier integration. That and Shippo has been buying marketshare, ie: they aren't charging much.

Message 4 of 48
latest reply

SHIPPO

@hlmacdon wrote:

@recped wrote:

Multicarrier integration. That and Shippo has been buying marketshare, ie: they aren't charging much.

Two good points especially the multi-carrier aspect.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 48
latest reply

SHIPPO

My concern is that SHIPPO was founded in 2013.

Babies.

They did get a contract with USPS in 2016.

I guess my (first year Boomer) reaction to the name is a suspicion that the company is a bunch of frat boys who are working daddy's rolodex. Yes, I'm old enough to know what a rolodex is.

The program may be okay. We'll see.

The chances that they will change hands in the next ten months are pretty high. Or they may buy out Pitney Bowes.

On the third hand, I have a good supply of discount mint postage stamps on hand, so I'm on the sidelines with popcorn.

Message 6 of 48
latest reply

SHIPPO

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Babies.

I guess my (first year Boomer) reaction to the name is a suspicion that the company is a bunch of frat boys who are working daddy's rolodex. Yes, I'm old enough to know what a rolodex is.

The chances that they will change hands in the next ten months are pretty high. Or they may buy out Pitney Bowes.

On the third hand, I have a good supply of discount mint postage stamps on hand, so I'm on the sidelines with popcorn.

Their value is in their api/cart integration and having that be a one shot deal for multicarrier. I gave them a look last year and found their web interface to be clunky (it may have improved since then) so I was surprised ebay didn't want to just use the API, but in retrospect that isn't an ebay strength. At the end of the day the resellers are all committing to volumes to get carrier discounts, and the levels of discounts that differentiate one reseller from another is not really anything that filters down to the end user really. At the moment they are burning VC cash to buy share with marketplaces and hosted ecommerce solutions. I don't see them buying out any of the entrenched players. If anything they are a gain share and acquisition exit company.

Message 7 of 48
latest reply

SHIPPO

So a 'take the money and run' bunch?

The software may be useable, but upgrading it from clunky in a year while expanding and using venture money makes me ever more queasy.

But I am old.

I've seen these guys before with their muffin baskets and flying cars.

I wonder when they sell out whether the new owners will be Chinese, Indian or German?

Message 8 of 48
latest reply

SHIPPO

@reallynicestamps wrote:

So a 'take the money and run' bunch?

The software may be useable, but upgrading it from clunky in a year while expanding and using venture money makes me ever more queasy.

But I am old.

I've seen these guys before with their muffin baskets and flying cars.

I wonder when they sell out whether the new owners will be Chinese, Indian or German?

Acquisitions tend to be slower in this space and more subject to regulatory scrutiny. They are on trend as well with where the market is moving. If I recall the sequence of events correctly, Shippo started out as a middleware provider leveraging endicia, as only Stamps/Endicia/Pitney had direct USPS api access. When endicia terminated their agreement with Shippo, Shippo was approved for what USPS now calls the epostage program which Amazon, Etsy, one or two others I believe are also a part of the program. In that sense they are quite differentiated from the typical middleware provider that is simply integrating stamps/endicia/pitney and have more of a long term leg to stand on. Stamps tends to gobble up everyone in this space, so they would be the likely suitor.

Message 9 of 48
latest reply

SHIPPO

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Babies.

LOL. When I saw the name Shippo, I thought it was a strange name and not inspiring confidence as a name. But then again, who thought Google would become such a a powerful name.

Hopefully the eBay-Shippo-Canada Post relationship will work out well. PayPal shipping with Pitney Bowes certainly left a lot to be desired in terms of reliability and updating to new Canada Post changes like additional countries for Tracked Packet.

eBay Canada could never get PayPal-Pitney Bowes-Canada Post to maintain the PayPal shipping modules in an accurate and timely fashion. Perhaps changing from Pitney Bowes to Shippo will improve the triple relationship but I suspect working with Canada Post has to be a real challenge for Shippo based on how Canada Post maintains and breaks their web site regularly.

Message 10 of 48
latest reply

SHIPPO

@grousetracks4 wrote:
I refuse to send my articles sold to a department called Shippo....I find it juvenile and ridiculous....an insult...

I fail to see where this an insult.

You are still free to buy your shipping wherever you want.

This is just eBay switching from using PayPal to using Shippo to handle the eBay discounted shipping.

as for the name: SHIPpo or sHIPPO = SHIP HIPPO

The company has been around since 2013.

-..-

Message 11 of 48
latest reply

SHIPPO

@pocomocomputing wrote:

LOL. When I saw the name Shippo, I thought it was a strange name and not inspiring confidence as a name. But then again, who thought Google would become such a a powerful name.

Two things there. One it is memorable (even if for LOL reasons) and helps with the mindfield of actually being able to find a domain name you can register, and two Valleyitis. You literally reduce your chances of getting VC money by 33.97% if you don't have a ridiculous name that can be chortled about while sipping $15 healthybro drinks.

Message 12 of 48
latest reply

SHIPPO

Anonymous
Not applicable

As long as we can use our PayPal Balance for payments to pay for the shipping labels.  Not everyone has a credit card which Canada Post is so stupid as they won't use PayPal as the other payment option.  The representative at Canada Post tried to get me onto to Canada Post website to print labels but they don't accept PayPal.  They said they can send me the invoice monthly but the problem is that I don't go to the bank, only once a year which is not ideal for me. 

Message 13 of 48
latest reply

SHIPPO

Will Canada Post accept cheques?

It does seem dreadfully oldfashioned.

Message 14 of 48
latest reply

SHIPPO

someone see a discount using shippo like they state?

for me they are 2$ more par pack, from the post canada price...its 20% more, i will not use them anymore

Message 15 of 48
latest reply

SHIPPO

They should be giving the eBay discount.  What service did you use and did you access them through eBay?

Message 16 of 48
latest reply

SHIPPO

@mc-bain wrote:

someone see a discount using shippo like they state?

for me they are 2$ more par pack, from the post canada price...its 20% more, i will not use them anymore

Canada Post currently has a temporary 15% discount on all shipping bought through Snap Ship. Expires July 31.

eBay's discounted rates through Shippo are only better than the discounted Snap Ship for Small Packet USA or Small Packet Int'l (Air).

Shippo has two Canada Post rates -- one is the eBay rate for Canada Post, and one is Canada Post using your regular SfSB discounted rate.

-..-

Message 17 of 48
latest reply

SHIPPO

Shippo discount will never come close to the Ebay/Paypal discount. The discount for CP is now calculated by each individual sellers volume of shipments that only starts at 200 + shipments per/month.. Before the discount was calculated by CP from the whole of  Ebay Canada shipments..

Message 18 of 48
latest reply

SHIPPO

@$ave$$$online wrote:

Shippo discount will never come close to the Ebay/Paypal discount. The discount for CP is now calculated by each individual sellers volume of shipments that only starts at 200 + shipments per/month.. Before the discount was calculated by CP from the whole of  Ebay Canada shipments..

Shippo rates for ebay transactions = ebay rates. The ebay/paypal discount you refer to is based on eBay's negotiated rates with Canada Post. They hold the contract, not paypal.

Message 19 of 48
latest reply

SHIPPO

@$ave$$$online wrote:

... discount for CP is now calculated by each individual sellers volume of shipments that only starts at 200 + shipments per/month....

The Canada Post Solutions for Small Business tier 1 discount starts at one parcel per year.

-..-

Message 20 of 48
latest reply