Shippo - HST breakdown?

I've noticed the totals on the Shippo invoices are lump sum - no breakdown of HST/GST?  Am I missing that breakdown somewhere?

Also is there a way to go back and see the details/discounts/taxes on a particular label?  Any history I find has a single lump sum total.  Again am I missing this somewhere?

Thanks

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Shippo - HST breakdown?

I have noticed that they do not give any kind of breakdown. In fact they just give a lump sum of all the postage you have purchased in the billing period. I think you would have to do the breakdown by keeping track each time you do a label. I really preferred the way PayPal billed you each label.

I have been holding out each shipping label confirmation that I do with Shippo until I get billed to make sure I am being billed the correct amount. 

Really do not like the way they do their billings or invoices.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Shippo - HST breakdown?

Isn't it illegal not to have a break down of the taxes?

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Shippo - HST breakdown?

Not GST.

When it came in businesses had the choice of including it in the asking price (easier at the cash register) or adding it at purchase (making the product seem cheaper).

As I recall, only K-Mart went with inclusion, and found it a poor marketing strategy. Shippo may change their system when they get used to working in Canada.

Provincial taxes vary. And Ghu knows what's up with the HST/QST.

But only GST applies to postage. (I think.)

The seller does have to put his GST registration number on the invoice though. 

From a practical point of view,only GST registered businesses would find it particulary useful, since any GST paid is an import tax credit for them.  And many of those may have other shipping services set up already.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Shippo - HST breakdown?

HST and QST can also be on postage.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Shippo - HST breakdown?

@heroicdreamspickering wrote:

I've noticed the totals on the Shippo invoices are lump sum - no breakdown of HST/GST?  Am I missing that breakdown somewhere?

Also is there a way to go back and see the details/discounts/taxes on a particular label?  Any history I find has a single lump sum total.  Again am I missing this somewhere?

You are not missing the breakdown. Only the total purchase price including tax is shown.

GST/HST/PST is only charged on Canada Post labels for shipments inside Canada.

Go to the Shipments section on Shippo. Download the label again for Canada Post label tax details.

Or save the info when you print. Either save the paper half page or (in my case) save the PDF before printing it to your computer hard drive (I label mine by date so they pulled up if I need to look at them again).

Shippo shipments download.jpg

Canada Post expedited parcel label detail (for $13.24 label above):

CPC expedited cost.jpg

-..-

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Shippo - HST breakdown?

Isn't it illegal not to have a break down of the taxes?

The information is provided with the label at time of purchase. It's not required to be provided anywhere else.

Shippo/eBay act as agents on behalf of the eBay seller for the label purchase and the taxes are those charged by Canada Post (straight pass through).

-..-

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Shippo - HST breakdown?

@katlover1952 wrote:

I have noticed that they do not give any kind of breakdown. In fact they just give a lump sum of all the postage you have purchased in the billing period. I think you would have to do the breakdown by keeping track each time you do a label. I really preferred the way PayPal billed you each label.

I have been holding out each shipping label confirmation that I do with Shippo until I get billed to make sure I am being billed the correct amount.

Each label bought is shown in the Shippo Shipments section.

The main PayPal difference was the email that gave the tax breakdown, the online detail just gives the total.

You can request Shippo to reduce the billing $ value threshold for your account. If lowered from the default $100 value to $5 you should get billed for purchases every day.

As a cross-reference you can check your Canada Post Solutions for Small Business dashboard. The dashboard shows all your online label purchases (Canada Post / PayPal / Shippo) including tracking links. But it does NOT show what you actually paid, taxes are excluded from the cost shown. This is only an issue for Canadian destination labels.

What it does mean is PayPal and Shippo labels count towards your SfSB discount level.

CPC-parcel dashboard.jpg

-..-

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Shippo - HST breakdown?

Do you think they could make it any more complicated and time-consuming?  

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Shippo - HST breakdown?

I am not sure what is ypdc_dennis's motivation to be a Shippo shill, but that aside, it has been a long time since I have dealt with such a arrogant customer-hostile company as Shippo.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Shippo - HST breakdown?

The issue is I ship 60 - 100 packages a month. So "totaling" those up is a pain.   My listings are for my business so I need the tax breakdown.  In any case they finally replied that they know it's an issue and are working on it.  There should also be an easier way to review a previous charge than re-downloading the label - that's pretty bush league.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Shippo - HST breakdown?

The issue is I ship 60 - 100 packages a month. So "totaling" those up is a pain.   My listings are for my business so I need the tax breakdown.  In any case they finally replied that they know it's an issue and are working on it.  There should also be an easier way to review a previous charge than re-downloading the label - that's pretty bush league.

How did you do it with Paypal as they also just showed a total without specifying taxes and discounts? You could get the tax info from the Paypal email when you printed the label but now you can get that from the bottom of each label as you print it. It doesn't seem to cause any extra work in that sense unless I'm just missing something.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Shippo - HST breakdown?

@a1a23696 wrote:

I am not sure what is ypdc_dennis's motivation to be a Shippo shill, but that aside, it has been a long time since I have dealt with such a arrogant customer-hostile company as Shippo.

I don't see him as a shill at all. There is nothing wrong with explaining how something works or where to find specific information. People don't come to these boards to write about how wonderful a company is, they come to complain. That doesn't mean that everyone is having negative experiences.

I don't know what sort of problems you are having but if you come here and complain about them is there something wrong with someone explaining how that problem might be solved?

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Shippo - HST breakdown?

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I don't see him as a shill at all.

That doesn't mean that everyone is having negative experiences.

Can't agree more on these 2 points!

Except for the few problems I had with Shippo at the beginning, I now find it really easy to use (fingers crossed it stays that way).

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Shippo - HST breakdown?

Just keep in mind that if using SHIPPO or PAYPAL you cannot claim the GST you pay them as a credit since the CanadaPOST issued sales receipt you get is not issued under your company name rather it is under the name of either PAYPAL or SHIIPO.

This has been validate by CRC GST Regulations Department.

We have since contact CanadaPOST and advised them of the situation and they are investigating to see what can be done to change the current setup.

Also, we found out albeit inadvertently that CanadaPOST actually invoice PAYPAL Singapore for the total cost of all the shipping labels purchased monthly and on the invoice is a breakout of what tax amounts (GST, HST, PST) is included.

So PayPal Singapore pays the invoice not PayPal USA or even PayPal Canada.

Interesting to say the least.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

Shippo - HST breakdown?

You really should not use SHIPPO or even PayPal since they do not provide you with legit sales receipts that show they collected GST from you.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Shippo - HST breakdown?

I do agree that it's a real problem for sellers putting these taxes on their ITC credits. But I don't understand why you cannot claim them. As 'pjcdn2005' wrote, PayPal has always done the same kind of invoices no?

With that said, it does not affect me. I only sell personal stuff to downsize my too many collections.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Shippo - HST breakdown?

@futuretech_liquidations wrote:

... you cannot claim the GST you pay them as a credit since the CanadaPOST issued sales receipt you get is not issued under your company name rather it is under the name of either PAYPAL or SHIIPO.

Both PAYPAL and SHIPPO are supposed to be acting as agents on the seller's behalf.

Your company name is not required.

invoice ITC requirement.jpg

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

Shippo - HST breakdown?

I gave up on Shippo because they ignore their responsibility to provide a detailed sales receipt.

Just today  (March 8, 2018)  I decided to try Shippo again and I see nothing has changed.

When you ask Shippo CSR's for an answer, they ignore you.    Of course they are not in Canada and have no idea about taxes here.

Facts are, the receipt needs to show all the details just as the new PP receipts do:

including GST and HST when applicable.    

The lack of concern from Shippo makes me think maybe they are not collecting or remitting GST/HST from us and therefore cannot show us a receipt that proves this.  Therefore we cannot claim ITC's on any Shippo label purchase.

I am also starting to think that part of the savings we see  from using Shippo is the GST/HST they are not charging us.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

Shippo - HST breakdown?

Maybe Shippo is due  to have another Webinar? Definitely with the option to listen to current concerns!! 

Sept 13, 2017 Webinar for anyone interested. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqkTuUQGlb8&feature=youtu.be%2F%3Futm_source%3Dthank-you&utm_medium=...

-CM

Message 20 of 22
latest reply