Shippo Stops Discount - Canada Post. Where to?

kayy983
Community Member

Hi all eBay sellers,

We all know Canada Post shipping rates are high, without discount from Shippo, where to? Go back to Paypal?

Do you have any sources that we can buy cheaper shipping labels in Canada?

Inputs are highly appreciated. Thanks.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Only those sellers who were already using Shippo, are affected by this change to the discounts. Not ALL sellers are impacted. Not ALL sellers are Shippo users. For many of us there is no alternative to Canada Post. Yes, for now anyway, sellers will be able to resume using PayPal, or find their own alternative. When eBay's new Adyen payment system takes over in a couple of years, there  will be more changes to payments and the shipping processes.....

For myself, nothing has or will change...until Adyen payments becomes mandatory...

I never signed on with Shippo so I'll just continue using PayPal until Adyen takes over, then I expect to be gone from eBay.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

If you continue to use your Solutions for Small Business account with Canada Post, you will still have access to Level One discounts and then in time with increased postage volumes also Level 2 and upwards.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@kayy983 wrote:
We all know Canada Post shipping rates are high, without discount from Shippo, where to?

If located in the right area of the country check out ChitChatsExpress or StallionExpress.

Also check your packaging to see if you can squeeze down to a lower level -- parcels have the volumetric weight modifier.

Knowing where the weight breaks are can also be useful: In Canada it is 750g, 1kg, then every 500g above that for parcels. Outside Canada parcel breaks are every 500g.

Packets do not have the volumetric modifier.

Small Packet Air  has 100g, 250g, 500g, 1kg (plus 1.5kg and 2kg outside USA)

Tracked Packet USA are 100g, 250g, 500g, 1kg.

-..-

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Since you posted with an account that does not sell, it is difficult to give specific advice.

As dutchman1001 says, if you are using Shippo, you have a Solutions for Small Business Card.

Both Shippo and Canada Post's SnapShip will now be giving the same discounts.

The advantage to Shippo is that it eventually charges your shipping costs to your Paypal account , while SnapShip charges fees immediately to your credit card.

You can also pay for any shipment with postage stamps, including parcels and tracked services. And several sellers on eBay (*cough*) sell discounted mint postage stamps for use as postage.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Wondering how much Canadapost likes those sellers that use a very large number of "cough" mint postage stamps to pay for their packages. $32.75 made up of 57 stamps of various denominations. Can you picture a Canada Post employee using a calculator to confirm the total? Could they calculate the math in their head? Or is that one of the next packages to, how shall we say gets maybe drop kicked during the sort process? You know they would "want" to!!! Ahhh, the things that make a person say Hmmmm!!! open_mouth

-CM

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I doubt they bother.

Most mail is handled by machines.

We send out out auction catalogues with between $5 and $25 worth of stamps on them, which the post office hand cancelled.

Cheap for us, except in staff time, and our stamp customers loved it.

Then we took them to the terminus, where they were hand stamped by workers on partial disability. Mostly they were set to figuring out difficult addresses, or re-packaging damaged mail. Our deliveries were actually greeted with smiles as a break from other more boring tasks.

But more to the point, mail isn't handled by people. It's handled by machines. And those only note that the package has tagged stamps. (Which gets esoteric and involves blacklights and fluorescence.)

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

But PayPal require being a business which was not the case with Shippo, as long as your shipping an eBay sold item you'd get the discounted shipping as an individual. That is the difference. So yes, many of us are affected and it sucks!!!

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Quote:
But PayPal require being a business which was not the case with Shippo, as long as your shipping an eBay sold item you'd get the discounted shipping as an individual.

Now that PayPal is not eBay's shipping partner PayPal requires that the user provide them with their Solutions For Small Business account number. Once registered PayPal will extend the SFSB discount.

I've not registered my SFSB account with them. They must have a registration link somewhere on their site though. Anyone know where?
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

As far as I know you only get a discount on Shippo and PayPal if you have a CP small business number. If you are getting the discount on Shippo, you must already be registered with a CP sb number.  If you don’t have one,  you don’t actually have the be a business to get one so you should register for one.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:

I've not registered my SFSB account with them. They must have a registration link somewhere on their site though. Anyone know where?

When PP first started requiring that business number a link came up the next time I tried to print a label.  If that isn’t happening now I’m sure how you would register your number.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

That registration screen popped up for just a short while at the time of the change over, have never seen it since. Haven't printed a a label from PayPal since Shippo arrived.
Message 12 of 12
latest reply