Badly behaving advertising on eBay.CA

Knott's Berry Farms - everytime it loops through the ad, when it starts again it grabs screen focus away from where I am attempting to do work -- Smiley Mad -- really not happy, although it now makes me appreciate polite advertisers a lot more.

Ad blocker is not an option for this machine or I'd be using it. These are stupid advertisers -- you got my attention alright but not in a positive way.  eBay needs to set standards for what's allowed as this advertising [bleep] is not good for the site.

-..-

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Badly behaving advertising on eBay.CA

mcrlmn
Community Member

You can use a modified HOSTS file to block ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and even most hijackers and possibly unwanted programs.

This is accomplished by blocking the connection(s) that supplies them.

A well designed HOSTS file can speed the loading of web pages by not having to wait for these ads, annoying banners, hit counters, etc. to load.
This also helps to protect your Privacy and Security by blocking sites that may track your viewing habits, also known as "click-thru tracking" or Data Miners.
Utilizing the HOSTS file is not a cure all, but it does provide a very effective layer of protection that I've used for years.

The file is updated every month.

If you just want to view, edit, or install yourself, here is the text version.

If you want to download, click 'Save as' in your browser.

You can simply copy the HOSTS file to the proper location.

Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC  

Note: the above locations are for the default paths (Windows folder location)

When prompted to overwrite select Yes.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply