Can't get past the "Experiencing Technical Difficulties" message

This is a continuation of a discussion started in 2014 that I responded to a few days ago. That discussion has now been locked, but the problem remains. When I attempted to reset my password I was repeatedly told that they were experiencing technical difficulties. A subsequent page suggested that I open a new account, thus losing my username and nearly twenty year history.

nearly every other internet business is able to reset passwords. It turns out, so can eBay, but it requires a resort to 19th century technology, the telephone. Despite being told online that I needed to create a new account, eBay was able to reset my password when I phoned them. This has obviously been an ongoing problem for years. It's about time that they fixed it.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

As I said above, I wound up calling them and they reset it. My point is that this is an unacceptable way of dealing with a routine password reset. In particular, the advice they give online is wrong. It wasn't necessary to open a new account and this misinformation is undoubtedly causing problems for a lot of long time ebayers. The previous thread shows that this issue has been ongoing for yers and has not been resolved.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I've been able to reset my ebay password online, it's odd that you weren't able to do so.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Like I seem to remember that I explained on that other thread, you need to call Customer Service. The thing you are describing is not normal. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

As I said above, I wound up calling them and they reset it. My point is that this is an unacceptable way of dealing with a routine password reset. In particular, the advice they give online is wrong. It wasn't necessary to open a new account and this misinformation is undoubtedly causing problems for a lot of long time ebayers. The previous thread shows that this issue has been ongoing for yers and has not been resolved.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

My point is that if this happened to you, it was not a routine password reset. Something else was at play behind the scenes and you were simply not made aware of it. Which is the reason that you have to call. Good that you did. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply