Canadian sellers - Shipping calculator not showing results to US locations

Few weeks ago i had someone ask me for a shipping quote to the US is when i realized the shipping calculator was not generating results for Canada Post to the US.

Thought they fixed it but it happened again today and i see more/all my listings all of a sudden have the same problem. Apparently eBay knows about it but did not fix it nor alert Canadian sellers. Check your listings to see if this applies.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (9)

Answers (9)

It seems to presume the box size and weight stays the same.

So we've located the problem.

tyler@ebay

Perhaps that information could be passed to the technical team to help them focus on an answer?

This is now a well-established error with listings generated on ebay.ca using Calculated Shipping. ebay is aware of it but cannot give an estimate for a fix date. For whatever reason, the bug seems to be stuck to Air Parcel service. As we wait for a fix, it has been suggested that removing Air Parcel from your listings will allow the other proper postage options to show to their associated destinations, and that has worked for me.

I can tell you, however, that if you attempt to (temporarily) remove Air Parcel from listings as a workaround, please take note that doing so via Bulk Edit will not actually save the changes.

This is a bug with the Bulk Editor;  I've experienced this phenomena in the past with bulk editor bulk changes to international postage options, you can make the changes but they won't take. You have to make the changes via Revise Item one at a time, or using Bulk Editor but selecting the items One at a Time. Of course, if you have items of varying sizes/valued selected, you might want to do it that way anyway.

Either way, it presents a very time-consuming workaround, and one that is not ideal if you rely on sales to countries served only by Air Parcel. And one you'd need to undo when the Shipping Calculator is fixed. 

For now, I'm removing Air Parcel service from my Auctions only, as Add to Cart for Buy It Now (BIN) format listings shows postage as it should for international buyers looking to purchase BIN items. My business model doesn't rely on Auctions, they are mostly an after-thought here. And, as I've stated elsewhere at other times, my outside-Canada sales don't seem to be affected by this problem as significant as it is, since I use Buy It Nows and Good Till Cancelled listings. Oddly, my domestic sales have taken a sharp drop in recent weeks but those are not affected by the glitch. That sharp drop does, however, occur periodically in my category. Naturally and randomly. 

I just noticed that the shipping is messed up again in one of my eBay Stores, not both of them.

Just the one run by this ID.

The US is seeing only the exceptionally ridiculous tracking rate for a light packet item.

I removed the tracking rate and tried again, this time the calculator did not recognize 90210 or any other valid US postal code.

I switched around quite a bit trying to get it to behave itself but it's back to being an evil thorn in my side.

Thanks for your explanation. Appreciated. 🙂 So unfortunately, we are stuck with an illogical and incorrect calculator until they can figure out what they REALLY did to it to break it so badly.

-CM

So with the illogical information it is currently displaying, proves my point that it is still not working properly on dot ca but works as it should on dot com. It leaves a potential customer assuming(and we know what happens when customers assume) if they choose not to confirm with the seller for the correct/actual rate information options.

-CM

Momsqueen.....For your  Disney FROZEN Musical Magic ELSA & ANNA Listing, just curious, is the postage for multiple units by Xpresspost/Tracked Pkg USA set up using Ebay's shipping calculator or a calculation you chose? Rate displays as 75.24 for 4 units by Tracked Postage to USA and 49.84 by Xpresspost. Not sure of what your final package dimensions would be for this item but believe total weight would be over 1 KG and would not be ship-able using Tracked Service. 2nd Observation its displaying more expensive to ship by Tracked vs Xpresspost. This is seldom the case. Are you subsidizing postage for this item or is this same error I have been trying to get resolved since Nov 2017 with 0 success?

-CM

If anyone is still following this thread, the weekly chat is open. Please share your concerns about this with Tyler overnight for his response tomorrow. 

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Chat-Session/February-21st-2018-Weekly-Session/m-p/394714/highli...

Canada Post does computer system maintenance on the weekend. Perhaps the eBay data feed is getting screwed up.

There is a disconnect between the accepted dimensions of one of the commonly used Canada Post services and the equivalent USPS size.

The result is what you see.

The workaround seems to be to fiddle with the dimensions (increasing them by a centimetre or so) until the new listing shows the rate correctly.

This doesn't cause any Real Life problems, because the 'fake' dimensions are still on the same rate card as the real ones.

I don't know which service it is, because mostly I use Flat Rate (and free*) shipping for my products.

*Free Shipping means that the cost of shipping is included in the asking price. It doesn't work for every seller, but buyers love it.

Ask a Question