Economy shipping expected dates needs to be lengthened.

I sell CD's and for international shipping, I use DHL which has it headquarters in Frankfurt Germany, so that means all mail sent internationally goes there first and then is sent to the country to be delivered.  I sent some CD's to Australia, Germany and Japan and they are first sent to Germany then on to Australia and Japan.

I checked and for Austria it is 10 days longer than for Australia.  Economy shipping can take a lot longer that is why it is cheaper.   For Economy shipping, you have to allow a week or 2 more for Australia and Asia as it goes to Germany first. 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

You're referring to the economy shipping on .com right? The new economy shipping option that they added on to .ca (finally) seems fairly generous...13-22 days to Australia.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Hi Pj, even the 22 days is not long enough, it should be 30 days on .ca for Australia, any late dings have been for there.   I also changed my economy shipping to surface mail for international.

On .com it is ridiculous and I sent them something too.  They don't have a surface mail equivalent. 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I don't know that expecting buyers to wait 30+ days for their package is generating the best experience for them. Are you sure it's worth that to them? I would certainly look for faster service as an option. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Hi Mo, I thought that I can offer economy which I have now changed to international parcel surface and then offer small packet air for $5.00 more.  Another seller said to only off the lowest one and to keep it simple.   When you are buying a CD for $5, you don't really want to pay another $13 for shipping.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Welllllll-- If they are buying it online, they can't find it elsewhere.

So demand is larger than supply.

But the demand might be more urgent.

I think we are into psychology of buying and selling here.

If I really really want something, is price more important than delivery time?

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

That's kind of my way of thinking. A month feels like a long time to me to wait to save a few dollars on postage. But that's just me. I mean, I can see waiting 15 calendars days without getting too impatient, but I don't think I would wait a month for mail order at this point in my life. Also, I'm kind of not buying from anywhere that would make me wait that long because it makes me skeptical it's coming from China or something and might be a knockoff. And then I might die of old age before getting the item and then what good does saving $5 on postage do me? My thoughts only.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I haven’t used it but I’ve heard that small packet surface can take up to 3 months in some cases.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Hi I am not using small packet surface, I am only showing as the shipping method I am using because of Australia.  It is all sent by air the next business day but going first to Germany then to Australia, the time allowed for economy shipping is just not long enough. 

One seller suggested that to me in a message to use the shipping method on ebay as small packet surface and it makes sense to me.  I don't want my Australian buyers to think they are going to get something in 2 weeks when they are not, it is more like a month.    In 2016 when I sent a bunch to Australia they all took 6 weeks, all late,  all arrived.  Fortunately my Aussie buyers were patient, honest and wonderful.

I am just trying to fit into the  mould that ebay has made.  I want to continue to sell to Australia at a good price and good price for shipping, only they may have to wait for it.  They may not have to wait too long but if they do, they will not be disappointed.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Aaaaaaand here is me who'd ask my not-eBay Japan sellers to ship surface (some would agree, some would refuse) to save money because I'm a very patient person. I'd pay for airmail if I really want them soon, but my orders are usually pretty heavy so the difference between air and surface can be $20-80. So far I haven't had anything lost yet *knock on wood*, just a few damages by Canadian customs when they do a poor job repackaging...

Back on topic: I do agree that economy shipping delivery estimates need to be extended. Sometimes things get stuck at the local customs / postal outlet and it's not our fault...

Message 10 of 10
latest reply