Failure to calculate shipping to USA or International is BACK

Further to the recent claims by ebay of their fix of the failure to calculate shipping for anywhere other than Canada, for items listed on ebay.ca.

This problem has reappeared.

Last night (March 1, 2018) I sold item 292379847644

This item uses calculated shipping (in metric)

Ebay.ca shows correct shipping to Canada (CP expedited mail and Xpresspost)

Ebay shows no shipping to USA or International.

The US option I have is Canadapost Expedited mail.

The International options are CP Xpresspost and CP Air Parcel

The Worldwide option is selected for international

(FYI, everything is set correctly)

The Ebay invoice for this item (remember it was purchased last night by a buyer in China), shows no shipping fee (ie a shipping fee of zero) - and NO, this item DOES NOT HAVE FREE SHIPPING.

I phoned ebay, and was told that a fix was rolled out a few days ago, but over the last 3 days they have received multiple reports of this problem reoccurring.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

My listings all look the same as they did before.

The error you describe is one that I experienced exactly once with a buyer in Hong Kong. This was Jan 21.

I believe what you describe is another variation of error, I don't necessarily believe it is tied to Calculated Shipping, per se, I suspect it is another manner of miscommunication between fields of data when generating postage to destination at the point one generates Send Invoice to Buyer. 

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

I see the error with the listing that you are, however, describing. 

Are you looking for assistance with troubleshooting? If so, please provide screenshots of the manner in which your listing is established. 

If not, consider other users suitably notified of the problem you are experiencing. If other sellers are seeing this, they will no doubt add their comments to the thread. 

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

@avionsunantiqueswrote:

Further to the recent claims by ebay of their fix of the failure to calculate shipping for anywhere other than Canada, for items listed on ebay.ca.

This problem has reappeared.

Last night (March 1, 2018) I sold item 292379847644

This item uses calculated shipping (in metric)

Ebay.ca shows correct shipping to Canada (CP expedited mail and Xpresspost)

Ebay shows no shipping to USA or International.

The US option I have is Canadapost Expedited mail.

The International options are CP Xpresspost and CP Air Parcel

The Worldwide option is selected for international

(FYI, everything is set correctly)

Your post made me go back and check some of my listings

You are right. The calculator is NOT working for Expedited Parcel to USA

I do not have any listings using the International services that you do, so I cannot verify those.

All of my Small Packet USA listings seem to be fixed except for the Red Text Error message

Thanks for posting. I don't have that many items using Expedited Parcel. If you had not posted I would not have looked farther.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Currently, with the recent variety of known and intermittent issues, it's starting to cause a lack of confidence in what listings are actually displaying 100% correctly. And wondering how worthwhile it is to create new listings or modify active listings. It would be nice if there was a place to go to confirm Known issues, Issues eBay is working to resolve and Issues that have been fixed so we would all know if we're on the same page. Also wonder if there are issues we don't even know about? <Hmmmm>

-CM

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Hey CM I've been having the same thoughts. With so many issues, some that we know about some that we don't. Some we might find some we might not.

I've been wondering how buyers are feeling. I know I have very little patience with stuff on line that does not work, so if I was having problems seeing shipping costs, I'd just be gone. I don't have time to goof around, and my first thought as a buyer would be Something Fishy is going on here and that would be it.

I don't want that reaction to my listings, so I too have been wondering whether it might be best to leave things alone for awhile. I think if you quit selling for too long though, you loose any Seller status that you might have built up.

The thing that really bothers me, is that buyers will most likely assume it is the Seller that is making the mistakes NOT eBay.

Yup it would be nice if issues were posted. Not sure how we would correct them. I can't see myself adding messages to each listing - would go way over characters allowed if things remain the way they are now.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

@around_again_records

You are right. The calculator is NOT working for Expedited Parcel to USA

Just to doublecheck...for your listings that do not show a price for expedited USA, what are the dimensions of the package in the listing?  Are they at least 21cm x 14cm x .5cm?  If any of your numbers are smaller than those, the calculator won't work because those are the minimum dimensions for an expedited parcel to the US.  Expedited parcels within Canada can be smaller.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

I agree. If customers see something that is not correct in the listing, they tend to believe its the sellers fault. If we make a mistake in a listing as a seller, we are held accountable for it. Coming from eBay it would be much more official. And if they could give us a specific work around or a time frame for a fix, even better!! Lost track of all the listings I have changed, updated, added notes to and very time consuming/frustrating to go back and undo!!!

-CM

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

I just double checked in case I mistyped which happens occasionally

dimensions are 27 x 19 x 8 cm
weight 1.5 kg

everything looks OK in that respect.
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

OOOoops My Bad

While I was checking the dimensions. I clicked on the calculator again to see if it was working now. It still wasn't but then it came to me

For Small Packet, I don't need to enter a Posta (zip) code
I don't use Expedited Parcel USA very often, but I thought hmmm maybe I need to enter a code for Expedited.
I entered the code and the shipping calculator works now. It was my mistake

I do not know if this will solve the OPs issue, but on this end all is well - at least with the shipping calculator... I think....maybe....for now....
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

You do have  6 listings that do not show a shipping cost for the US.  If you view your listings with shipping plus price - lowest and then change the location to the US and enter a zip code -92110 will work and click on go. Then scroll to the bottom of your listings. The ones without a shipping price to the US will show at the very end. I thought the dimensions might be to small because a couple of those listings are for a single book and I thought those might be too small.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

@pjcdn2005wrote:

You do have  6 listings that do not show a shipping cost for the US.  If you view your listings with shipping plus price - lowest and then change the location to the US and enter a zip code -92110 will work and click on go. Then scroll to the bottom of your listings. The ones without a shipping price to the US will show at the very end. I thought the dimensions might be to small because a couple of those listings are for a single book and I thought those might be too small.

Wow, thank you for pointing this out to me. I will have to start figuring out how to modify my searches to find this stuff.

I think they are all corrected now. 3 different problems all my mistakes

1 had Light Packet selected and dimensions were too thick. It should have been Small Packet right from the start. I did notice as I was going through though that I still have some showing with the price for Light Packet. I thought I changed them all but I guess not 😞

4 items had 1 kg 750 grams instead of 750 grams, which made them too heavy for Small Packet. Again my fault. When I chose Custom Weight, I forgot to put 0 (zero) in the Kg field, and it defaults to 1 if you leave it blank.

The other one was the right weight but over 1 kg and I had Small Packet selected so I changed that to expedited. They should all be good now

Thanks again for taking the time to check that out and let me know.

Now - should I change those old Light Packet listings, or just suck up the extra 2 dollars if any of them sell.... Just talking to myself.

Is there a search I can do that will show them all, or do I just go through and look at the price. I know if shipping is 6.84 they are Small Packet.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

that last line above should read If shipping is 6.84 they are Light Packet (not Small Packet) see how easily I get confused. 😞
Message 14 of 22
latest reply

I think the light packet ones default to small packet.  If it is under 100 grams, small packet is $6.94 online.

There is no special search to do that. As long as you have shipping cost checked off so that you can see it in search view, you can scroll down to check the shipping cost of each listing.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

This does not fix my issue. I use 90210 as my test US ZIP code. The Ebay rep used her own US ZIP code to replicate my issue.

I have also entered the same information I have on the ebay listing, into the shipping rate calculator found at www.canadapost.ca, and Canadapost gives a shipping rate for CP USA Expedited mail, and CP Xpresspost International, and CP Air Parcel (Which ebay should do also, but is not doing)

I take my packages directly to the Canadian post office, and ship at the post office. If a package was not within the dimensions allowed by the particular shipping method, Canadapost will not take it.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

It's odd, some of your expedited US listing do have a US expedited cost when I go into the listing. example  - 382298893253  382319306070 They also show international xpresspost shippings costs but when I click on a country that doesn't have xpresspost such as Turkey, there is no shipping cost. 

But other items are showing US expedited, International Xpresspost and International Air for the pertinent countries   example - 292238699933  292244494544  29224447247

There is another variation. item 282643013056 does not show a cost for the US but it does show a cost for international countries that have tracked packet or xpresspost. I didn't notice any international air quotes on this one.

Item  382316039904 doesn't seem to show a shipping cost for any other countries other than Canada  There may be others like that too but I've had enough checking for now.

The examples I gave is what I see right now. I didn't click on every single listing and the ones I did check, I didn't click on every country.   But whatever the problem is, it isn't consistent in each listing.   I'm not offering solutions, just wanted to see if there was one consistent problem as that would probably make it easier for them to fix.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

I have been summoned. tyler@ebay so that he's aware, and I'll forward this to the PMs who were/are working on the original issue.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

I've been struggling with this for awhile now.  Sales have been slow and I it is possible that this issue may be a cause.  Looking into it I have found the following.  If you have a listing and are offering a shipping service and have clicked worldwide or North and South America (why those tow are considered similar is a confusing) but he service does not ship to the USA or other location you will get an error.

Example

Item A weights 240 grams and it's dimensions are 25x15x10 cm

USA must be chosen separately and the services must ship to the USA.  

Small Packet USA

Expedited USA

Xpresspost USA

When choosing other locations; you must also choose individually and not choose worldwide or N & S America.  If you do so it will send up an error when a buyer from the USA looks at the shipping cost.  This is because small packet international (eg.) does not go to the USA.

Hope this helps.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

And as noted previously calculator still does not work for calculating postage for multiple items. So not back. Still there. Even was able to locate this same  issue on some Ebay test listings level 2 and level 3. Flat rate and offering free shipping is NOT an option for Canadian sellers selling heavier items.

-CM

Message 20 of 22
latest reply