How to change currency view to Canadian

How do I change my currency view to Canadian funds?

My account shows I am Canadian, I am on eBay.ca, and yet, even when I click to only show items located in Canada, it still shows the pricing in US and then below shows the approximate value in Canadian funds.

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

If the listing is in US$, then the currency of the transaction will be US$.  It does not matter where the seller or buyer reside.

Message 2 of 38
latest reply

When a viewer (you or anyone else) views listings on eBay.ca, they will show:

US$ with approximate equivalent value in Cdn$ if the listing was made in US$, regardless of the site where listed

or

Cdn$ if listed in Cdn$ on eBay.ca

When purchasing an item originally listed in US$, that currency becomes the default currency for payment, regardless whether the seller or buyer reside in Canada or anywhere else.

Message 3 of 38
latest reply

That's kinda dumb... you'd think it would detect that I'm Canadian, and stick the equivalent CAD pricing first. It's already converting the value to CAD funds, why have it appear small, make it large and the original (US, UK, whatever) underneath in small type.

Message 4 of 38
latest reply

"you'd think it would detect that I'm Canadian"

Even if the system could detect your nationality, it does not change the fact that the seller has selected the currency of the listing.  Most listings you see on eBay.ca have been placed by American sellers who know nothing and want to know nothing about Canadian dollars.  They offer their products in US$ and expect payment in US$. 

eBay.ca, as a courtesy to Canadian buyers, offers an approximate Cdn$ equivalent in those US$ listings for the convenience of buyers challenged with currency conversion.

The same is true in reverse. If you look at listings on eBay.com and a listing was priced in Cdn$ by a seller listing on eBay. ca, the price will be shown in Canadian dollars with an approximate US$ equivalent for the convenience of American buyers.

When you think about it from a global perspective,  it makes perfect sense.

Message 5 of 38
latest reply

"Even if the system could detect your nationality"

There is no "if"... it obviously does... that's why regardless of what pricing is being listed, below it always shows the approx CAD value.

What I'm saying is, reverse them... put the approx CAD value on top in large, and the original posted price below in small, since I don't care how much an item is worth in pounds or US dollars, or what the seller decided to post the currency as... I'm only interested in what "I" am going to be paying for it. Which I'm sure if we held a poll, would be the case for almost everyone on eBay. 

Message 6 of 38
latest reply

" it obviously does... that's why regardless of what pricing is being listed, below it always shows the approx CAD value."

Sorry but it does not. 

If you are viewing a listing priced in US$ on eBay.ca, even if you are an American or Nigerian or Japanese, the system will give you an approximate Cdn$ converted value, not because it knows where you live but because you are viewing on eBay.ca.

Please do not take my word for it. Test it. Change your location to any other country and you will find the Cdn$ approximate conversion offered in the listings when viewed on eBay.ca, just like you will view a US$ approximate conversion when viewing items listed in Cdn$ viewed on eBay.com

"I'm only interested in what "I" am going to be paying for it."

If the listing is in US$, regardless whether you view on eBay.ca or eBay.com or any other eBay site, you will be paying the US$ value. not the approximate Canadian value shown.  If paying by credit card or through PayPal, the US$ transaction will be converted at time of payment and the converted value will include 2.5% conversion fee (not shown in the listing).  In addition to the 2,5% conversion fee, the amount may be slightly different due to fluctuation in the relative value of the Canadian dollar.  If you have US$ in your PayPal account, then no conversion will be needed.

Message 7 of 38
latest reply

For example, you recently purchased a display screen for Blackberry.  According to the listing:

Price:
US $13.75
Approximately C $14.28

Now, take a minute and check your PayPal and/or credit  card account

How much were you charged exactly in Cdn$ ?
Message 8 of 38
latest reply

I'll say that this isn't entirely true, or has been changed since the posting of the above responses. I'm in Taiwan and all of the prices for all of the items are in Taiwan dollars, regardless of the seller's origin. And there is no equivalent dollar amount in any other currency, only Taiwan dollars.

It's a little maddening at times. Especially since I can't seem to change it to US dollars. Although using the ebay app I can see everything in their proper currencies.

Message 9 of 38
latest reply

I would like to know how to change the currency view. It is obvious to me that it can be done because I am in the US. Last night I sent an inquiry about shipping rates to the US and when I looked on ebay this morning every thing in my wish list that as of last night was listed in us dollars is now listed in liras. I would like an answer on how to change it back.

Message 10 of 38
latest reply

"...how to change it back."

Log in on eBay.com and stay there.  If you log on other eBay sites, the currency will change depending on the site.

Message 11 of 38
latest reply

How do I filter out the listing of a particular item(s) that is only listed in Canadian dollars from sellers on E-bay ?
Is this possible ?
I notice most sellers from China, Hong Kong or Asian countries usually list them in U.S. dollars.
But sometimes I do see those sellers from those countries who list them in Canadian Dollars which is much better value because no conversion to U.S.A. dollars.

Thanks

@pierrelebel wrote:

"you'd think it would detect that I'm Canadian"

Even if the system could detect your nationality, it does not change the fact that the seller has selected the currency of the listing.  Most listings you see on eBay.ca have been placed by American sellers who know nothing and want to know nothing about Canadian dollars.  They offer their products in US$ and expect payment in US$. 

eBay.ca, as a courtesy to Canadian buyers, offers an approximate Cdn$ equivalent in those US$ listings for the convenience of buyers challenged with currency conversion.

The same is true in reverse. If you look at listings on eBay.com and a listing was priced in Cdn$ by a seller listing on eBay. ca, the price will be shown in Canadian dollars with an approximate US$ equivalent for the convenience of American buyers.

When you think about it from a global perspective,  it makes perfect sense.

Message 12 of 38
latest reply

"How do I filter out the listing of a particular item(s) that is only listed in Canadian dollars from sellers on E-bay ?  Is this possible ?"

No.  You have to look into each listing to determine the original currency used by the seller.

Message 13 of 38
latest reply

Alright, dude, from what I've read, you keep basically saying the same thing, without really answering the question. I'm in the same boat as the other guy, a Canadian who wants to see the price listed in CAD, not USD. It has nothing to do with what the seller wants for currency, because when i pay with CAD, it gets converted to USD. So when Ebay says "Approx. CAD dollar value" or whatever, i want to see that price.

Yes, I understand the CAD and USD fluctuate in value, but if Ebay can put an approximation, then it clearly is not unable to put a relatively accurate price. Yes, conversion fees, but that can be shown somewhere, like in the checkout. When i'm shopping online and i have a budget for what i want, i end up spending more than i have because of the conversion, i dont really think about it. And i mean, I'm a fairly smart guy, but i dont want to be checking my bank account and re-budgeting every time i make a purchase, going online to find the current exchange rate, yadda yadda yadda.

I want to see one price that I will pay, even if it's off by a small bit because the value of the CAD and USD hasn't been updated by Ebay's servers. I'd rather lose a few cents because the conversion is slightly off than a few dollars because i hadn't checked all the changes and do all the math, re-budgeting and all that fun stuff. 

I doubt doing that would take much programming at all on Ebay's side, although thats not really the topic, just making a point that it wouldn't be a hard thing to do, so it should already be possible.

Now, back to what the original guy was asking, there should be a way to see the CAD value of an item posted in other currency, such as the USD. You clearly don't know how, according to your posts, if there is a way, let alone how to do it. But maybe someone else does. Because, as I said, I'd like to know a price at least close to what i'm paying as the main price (and the actual price in the poster's chosen currency listed underneath if need be), not something 30% lower than what i'd actually pay. 

Message 14 of 38
latest reply

@lowca56 wrote:
... there should be a way to see the CAD value of an item posted in other currency, such as the USD. ...

You look at the listing on ebay.CA  to see estimates in Canadian dollars.

And they are estimates because eBay does NOT know when you are going to pay and does NOT know what payment method you are going to use.

Message 15 of 38
latest reply

" I'm in the same boat as the other guy, a Canadian who wants to see the price listed in CAD, not USD. "

I am sorry but, the seller (nobody else) selects the currency of a listing.

When viewing on eBay.ca, eBay will offer an approximate conversion value (not including the conversion fee)

Message 16 of 38
latest reply

I purchased an item from eBay uk site then received a screen showing C$199.99 and C$34.99 postage - PayPal then processed the payment as US$ converted to UK£ - this makes a considerable difference to the final cost - eBay say the listing was US$ but I took screen shots showing C$ - PayPal say they processed the payment based on information supplied by PayPal and eBay customer service accept the screen shot is genuine but say there is no difference to the final cost? Based on exchange rate 03/042016 I calculate a significant difference but I am getting nowhere with this and still am out of pocket... Who is liable for this error? I feel the invoice should be refunded and recalculated in C$ as per original invoice -
Message 17 of 38
latest reply

May want to start a new thread, this is a year old thread... unlikely anyone will be reading it.

Message 18 of 38
latest reply

"but I took screen shots showing C$ "

What is the listing number?

Message 19 of 38
latest reply

"I purchased an item from eBay uk site"

????

If you are in Canada and the seller is in Canada why did you buy the item on eBay.uk?

Message 20 of 38
latest reply