Problem with Tracked Packet International Ebay rate Calculator

Tyler@ebay.ca

I just created a listing on ebay.ca (will start at 6:04 PST, on June 8, 2018).

Number is 382485591611

Package dimensions entered into the ebay rate calculator are 41x41x16 cm, with a weight of 1-2kg.

I selected Canadapost tracked packet international (as well as canadapost xpresspost, and air parcel) .     As well as Canadapost expedited for the US.

Ebay took all three, and is giving a shipping rate for all three.     The 

The problem is Canadapost tracket packet international can not be used for the dimensions entered into ebay!

As a result of shipping by Canadapost for 18 years, I know (and I also confirmed from their web site prior to writing this note), that the size limit for Canadapost tracked packet international is 90cm L+W+H.   As you can see from the above dimensions are 99 cm L+W+H, which exceeds the 90cm max.     

The canadapost web site correctly shows that tracked packet international can not be used for this package.

The ebay rate calculator incorrectly tells buyers that tracked packet international can be used, and gives them a cheaper mail option that does not exist.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

That's been an on going issue with Shippo since the switch over. Issues with the system not recognizing certain package min/max measurements for some services. The one I see on a regular basis is the package is under the Canadapost measurement requirements for Expedited Air to USA but giving it as an option when I've gone to process a shipment. (It was blocking if you inputted measurements over 1 kg for tracked last time I checked during creation of the listing.) Never had an issue with a shipment being returned because of the Expedited issue.  As long as the label fits on the box and can be scanned. A while back when eBay was "trying" to fix the non-sensible error with Calculating postage for multiple items it was actually displaying rates for tracked packages that would have been definitely over the weight limits for Tracked US if the customer were to purchase more than 1 unit but acceptable for a single unit purchase. As I've stated before: Most sellers would package in 1 box, not several packages for multiple units and really that's how the calculator is supposed to work and how has been working all along for US sellers on dot com.

-CM

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Tyler, Raphael, Happy, Kalvin, Hobbs, Tom, Dick & Harry, the living members of the Grateful Dead et al are aware of the issue. Last word I received was because it involves several departments and the left foot talking to the right hand it may be awhile still. Speaking of which I never did get the 1 time credit of  drum roll please...$5.00 for the grief it has caused. There goes that early retirement I had planned!!!

-CM

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

This is the first time I have ever heard of this particular issue that the op is referring to so I don't think that Tyler or others at ebay are aware of it.  

I know that you like to give 'credit' to Shippo for any problems with the ebay calculator although we had problems with it long before Shippo ever came along. I still don't think that Shippo has anything to do with programming the calculator here although perhaps someone else knows that they do??

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

As I've stated before: Most sellers would package in 1 box, not several packages for multiple units and really that's how the calculator is supposed to work and how has been working all along for US sellers on dot com.

-CM

How would any calculator know what size of a box and which service a seller was going to use if a combined purchase was too big for the service the seller had chosen for the calculator?  The US calculator does not work like that, I've read numerous comments about it on the .com boards.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Re: Current features not working

Hello Tyler, ‎06-07-2018

1. Calculated shipping for multiple quantity items - Issue since Nov 2017 - Causes drive by views.

2. Watchers do not display on actual listings. (Noted by others sellers previously) - Watchers generate traffic and show interest.

3. Not real time for emails for ended listing, relists, eBay updates, acknowledgement of a sale, offers .....(Noted by other sellers previously)

Hi CM - ‎06-07-2018 01:29 PM

1. This is a known issue, we're still working on it and I wish I had more updates for you than I do.

2. This is an intended change. If a listing meets certain criteria they could show up in search results, but the idea is to streamline and simplify the View Item Page as much as possible. This includes removal of duplicate links, reduced verbiage and focusing on select 'call to action' icons like your reputation as a seller (Trusted Seller!) and returns or shipping costs. Tests like this are being done regularly, with the goal to increase traffic and conversion for everyone.

3. Definitely aware of this, and working on getting as many people added to the tickets I have filed as possible. Mo got me a thread on the chat this week that I've been going through and adding as I have some extra time in the day.

Tyler

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I’m confused as to why you posted that because Imo the issues you posted to Tyler aren’t related to anything mentioned in this thread but I really  don’t want to detract even more from the op’s issue so I’ll stop at this post.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

in reply to 06-09-2018 04:50:04 PM
Last Edited 06-09-2018 04:50:44 PM

This is the first time I have ever heard of this particular issue that the op is referring to so I don't think that Tyler or others at ebay are aware of it.  

It was to clarify the fact that Avian's newest issue was just a continuation of the original/neverending issues  with the shipping calculator and its various features since Nov 2017 and the most recent response I received from Tyler. There were cases opened back then(Nov 2017). Ebay shortly thereafter "thought" they had it resolved so they stopped pursuing it anymore. Meantime it was never fully resolved. Since then they were re-advised it was still an issue they have started to work on fixing again. (Band aid Fixes) The explanation I have received + apologies  was that because of the various departments and offices involved it takes time to repair. And to muddy the issue even more, there were fixes made on dot com but was never fixed on ca. So, yes they are aware of it. The same sellers are mentioning it because it is still affecting them to various extremes. I have found other Canadian Sellers with the same issues I reported, in their listings. They didn't even know it was affecting their listings. Calculated shipping should work like it did previous to the observed problems. Until it is 100% fixed it is STILL a problem. If you have items that will work with  Flat Rate/Free Shipping it is not an issue. This is not the case for all sellers.

-CM

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

FYI, the affected item number should read 292596869800

The item number shown above was the correct number initially, but that number was assigned to a different item (thats a different problem).

So once again.

Package size entered into the ebay.ca rate calculator dimensions in cm, and instead of excluding a shipping option because it is not offered by the shipper (Canadapost), ebay is allowing it.

This is a very simple flaw in the ebay shipping rate calculator.   

Its disturbing that Ebay's programmers are apparently so bad at their jobs, that they fail to enter the Canadapost maximum size limit into the ebay shipping rate calculator.   

On second thought - its even worse!   Ebay's programmers had it right originally, but then some other incompetent Ebay programmer came along, and changed it, so now it doesn't work.

I'm tempted to create a listing with a box 1 km x 1 km x 1 km, and see if Ebay will tell prospective buyers that Canadapost will ship it to UK for all of $60 ish!

It gets to the point were you have to ask yourself, what are we paying ebay for?

This is one more example of ebay taking something that works (this very issue for example), and changing it to something that doesn't work!

Its supposed to be the other way around - start with something that doesn't work, then make it work.    

Can you imagine what else ebay has changed from working to not working, that we don't know about?

I do know my sales are way down in non correlated product classes.   I know I've started selling those same items elsewhere, and on those other places, my sales are doing just fine.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

This problem just became real, and showed up on my Westcoastart2 site.

I just sold 273166556602 to a buying in Australia.

Ebay told the buyer (by way of shipping rate calculator and invoice), that it can be sent to him by Canadapost Tracked Packet International.

The package measurements entered into the ebay rate calculator are 47cm x 42cm x 8cm (total 97 cm), with a weight of 1-2 kg.

The max size limit for Canadapost tracked packet international is 90cm L+W+H.

Canadapost will not ship this item by tracked packet international because its too large.

This means the buyer will pay for tracked packet international (about $90 ish), but I will have to ship by Canadapost Xpresspost (about $146).    Thats an extra $56 out of my pocket from a $99 sale!   

This is a really sneaky way of ebay giving buyers discounted shipping rates at the sellers expense!

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

To make matters even worse.

I created this listing quite some time ago (as an automatic relisting buy-it-now).

I don't remember if I even put Canadapost tracked packet international as an option.    

I raise this concern because I sell art on this site, and that is almost always too large for Tracked Packet International, so I'm surprised to see it here.

I'm wondering if I did not even include tracked packet international as an option, but somehow ebay added it to the listing some weeks or months ago.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

tyler@ebay

@happy_pigeon

i haven’t seen anyone respond to the original post yet.  This seems to be a new problem but how is it possible that the calculator is giving prices for a service when the dimensions are too big for that service?

Also, as far as I know the calculator is still allowing sellers to choose expedited parcel even if the dimensions are too small.  In that situation it gives a buyer an error message rather than a price so the sutuation is slightly better than the tracked packet situation but it has been a problem that has been around for years.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

There are a couple of problems in play here with this issue.

1. It will accept smaller measurements below the specified amounts for Expedited to the USA when you create a listing but doesn't display that option when the buyer checks using the calculator.

2.If your item sells and you go to process the package in Shippo using those smaller measurements Expedited returns as an  available option and will let you a create postage label with that option.

I have observed/reported these problems for a number of months and they don't seem anywhere close to being resolved.

-CM

PS. As far as I can tell from my testing, if you input measurements(Weight) that are over the specified  limits for Canadapost it does block unacceptable options when creating a listing.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

There are a couple of problems in play here with this issue.

1. It will accept smaller measurements below the specified amounts for Expedited to the USA when you create a listing but doesn't display that option when the buyer checks using the calculator.

It has been like that as long as I've been selling.

2.If your item sells and you go to process the package in Shippo using those smaller measurements Expedited returns as an  available option and will let you a create postage label with that option.

I have observed/reported these problems for a number of months and they don't seem anywhere close to being resolved.

-CM

PS. As far as I can tell from my testing, if you input measurements(Weight) that are over the specified  limits for Canadapost it does block unacceptable options when creating a listing.

It doesn't do that for Tracked packet international but perhaps you are referring to expedited parcel only.
Message 15 of 15
latest reply