anyone getting fake javascript update from the ads>?

It started today, every 2nd or 3rd time I load the screen that has the adchoices ad, a fake javascript ad pops up and hijacks my Firefox screen.

I want to know what is going on here?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Exact same here. I went directly to the java website and downloaded the latest update, yet i'm still getting this java update notification on ebay.ca.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I have the same issue here! This is most likely triggered by an add banner. I have to force kill my web browsers every times this **bleep** pops up! I had the issue on ebay.ca and ebay.com as well... I'm using Google chrome but I tried with Internet Explorer and same thing happened... This thing is really a pain in the

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Same problem here. I tryed 8 times and this pop up appear all the time. My system shows than its a virus!! Im unable to stay in my ebay more than 15 seconds. We need help please!!!

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Same issue for me. Its a virus. How we can fix this or when ebay will fix this. Im unable to stay on my ebay. Very frustrating!!!

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

The problem is someone buried javascript redirect code into a photo advertisement that ebay is loading when they bring up a page (you know those two sides of the screen where ebay displays banner ads which most people don't even look at) that loads the infected ads.

Malwarebytes and microsoft security essentials will both catch it (assuming you have up to date versions) if you should click "ok" when it prompts you to update.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

One temporary solution is blocking the IP in Firewall or Anti-Virus.

I blocked http://69.162.91.235* in Nod32 and the annoying page is gone for me.

The permanent solution is for Ebay to work on their security issues.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I just contact ebay and they told me than its a security problem and they working on it.  They told me to avoid ebay for a while.. The time to fix it. 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Ya here too started this afternoon and cant even scroll through a page without getting the pop up 3 or 4 times in a row.   How do I stop it!!!!! Please help.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I've been getting this since this morning (the 17th). I discovered that for me it appears only if I view eBay through Google Chrome. I tried ordinary Google search and it never appeared at all plus it only shows up in eBay.ca! I went into eBay.com, eBay.co.uk and eBay.de and it never appeared at all. As an aside if you don't want to see the advertising down the right side try enlarging the browser.
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

same here. It happen when I move over the picture to zoom it. It happen here and then, not always.

I don't believe that my computer is infected but there is definitively something wrong with ebay and the java script since I'm not the only one to report this.

So same as other observed, I've been redirected to  which seems to be a Chinese site and a page is displayed to update my java which is already to the latest official version.

It did started today august 17th

btw.. I'm using firefox. I haven't check if it did happened with other browser but I do suspect it will happen as well.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Same story here, I was thinking... virus(!), but 3 times in the row, form different computers, it's definitely site security issue Smiley Sad

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

This post is 2 years old but the fake ads can still haunt many computer users, for example said me. I suffered these ads after freeware got installed on the PC. I tried to install ad-block extension, reset browser settings and re-installed Firefox browser but I failed in the end. The most lucky thing was that I found some tips. Hopefully it can help others in need too.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply