idlesurvey???

Help!!! Sometimes when I am browsing eBay and stay on an item page for a minute, I would be redirected to some bogus online survey without me pressing anything at all. I don't know if my computer has been infected with some sneaky Trojan viruses, but it's only happening when I am browsing the eBay website. I've scanned my PC with several antivirus programs and couldn't find a culprit. Has this happened to anyone else??? How do I stop/prevent this egregious behavior from happening again? Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

idlesurvey???

I don't have that problem on eBay and only three or four times a year do I encounter it on other websites.

I use the firefox browser with the adblock plus extension.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

idlesurvey???

It happens to me also. I'm looking into it.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

idlesurvey???

Having the same issue.  Which browsers are people using?

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

idlesurvey???

Just popped up for me too! A scam survey!

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

idlesurvey???

I have the same issue every time I browse on ebay.ca no matter I use Edge or Chrome. The web site was redirected to www.idlesurvey.com/xxxxxxx and popped up survey for Rogers. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

idlesurvey???

Something to bring up at the eBay Chat on Wednesday with tyler@ebay.com

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

idlesurvey???

Same here. Popped up off eBay page a few times.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

idlesurvey???

roadcabe
Community Member

Same here. It's some sort of adware/malware for sure (I get it on other websites as well). It has nothing to do with ebay but I'm glad someone is posting about it! 

Unfortunately I've tried a lot of spyware/malware software to remove it, nothing has worked so far.. hopefully someone has a solution soon.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

idlesurvey???

Actually, it is eBay specific. It ONLY happens on their website for me, and they've been aware of it since at least May from what I can see on Twitter etc. This happens EVERY time I visit ebay.ca search pages, and never, ever happens on any other reputable website I visit. Ever. I've checked with multiple computers, Windows 7 and 10, and it happens whenever I'm using Chrome, with no add ons or extensions running in the browser. Multiple free and subscription antivirus and anti malware programs have declared all my computers clean. So far Microsoft Edge has actually had no issues with this.

I suspect it's the ads ebay is running on the search pages and some hidden scripts that are affecting Chrome, as this doesn't happen on the home page or my ebay pages, just the searches. I guess the ad revenue is worth more than the fees from items being sold, because I imagine a lot of buyers are giving up when they try to search and the page redirects to a page their antivirus marks as suspicious.

I'm visiting some 20 - 30 different websites per day on multiple computers and this happens every time I try an ebay search and nowhere else. Sad really. No wonder my sales have continued to tank to the point it isn't even worth the effort to go at this full time.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

idlesurvey???

Have you tried using CCleaner or Malwarebytes? I’ve never had that specific problem but have had malware latch onto my computer on specific sites and one of those programs always worked. I don’t understand exactly how these things work but I do know that eBay can’t help as the adware has to be taken off the computer it has latched on to.

I just googled idlesurvey and found a page that describes how to remove it.

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-idlesurvey-com/

Message 11 of 11
latest reply