the issue of eBay pages being redirected to unsafe websites continues for me

I recently found a thread from 2017 about ebay pages redirecting to certain websites. Last update I read from Mar15/2018 shows ebay tech advising this has been resolved and for affected users to clear their cache. I did this I was being redirected while on ebay to website "Gamiss", this happened on 2 computers at home and 2 at work. ONLY on ebay. I cleared cache on all computers and had the same issue happen just now.   

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Sigh. Let's call ebay staff to the thread on this. This is something that really should not occur. Are you absolutely certain you have no malware on your system? Also, in the meantime, I would strongly recommend an AdBlock program.

Please, @happy_pigeon, could you look into this again for this user? 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

hi thanks for the reply. I don't think I have any malware, especially because it's happening on 4 computers, 2 of which are at work and they have even more extensive firewalls/protection then home computers (at least mine). I have also added another adblock program as recommended in the previous thread. I also reached out to happy pigeon.
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Also was redirected from one of my own ebay.ca listings to the gamiss.com site today, March 18, 2018 ... the first time this has happened here. I'm going to run malwarebytes now to see what is found if anything.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

yes i have been redirected twice, in the last week or so. and i run 2 ad blockers.. i think sometimes, the blockers miss it. because it doesn't happen very often.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemerawrote:

Also was redirected from one of my own ebay.ca listings to the gamiss.com site today, March 18, 2018 ... the first time this has happened here. I'm going to run malwarebytes now to see what is found if anything.

I just downloaded the latest version of Malwarybytes and run a scan ... no threats were found, nothing was quarantined.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

Sigh. Let's call ebay staff to the thread on this. This is something that really should not occur. Are you absolutely certain you have no malware on your system? Also, in the meantime, I would strongly recommend an AdBlock program.

Please, @happy_pigeon, could you look into this again for this user? 

Hello,

When I posted before, we had engaged all of our ad vendors to block this domain. The request took place almost immediately with the larger vendors, but some of the smaller vendors could take a few extra days to respond and fulfill the request. I apologise because I know it's so annoying in the meantime, but please give it a few days in case it is an ad served by one of the smaller vendors that you are seeing.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@happy_pigeon Sorry to say this problem has not been resolved.

Tonight, every single time I opened my ebay.ca watch-list page a looped music file would begin to play, a line from some oldie but goodie pop song looping repeatedly. 

Meanwhile as the music plays there appears at the far right side of the Chrome browser address bar a security icon displaying the following warning:

"This page is trying to load scripts from unauthorized sources". 

The warning does not state what these sources are, I did not feel I should allow the scripts to run.  Now, if I had allowed them my guess would be that I would have been redirected to gamiss.com as has been happening to others and myself on one occasion in recent months.

This issue continues to occur only while browsing ebay.ca, no other sites behave this way. The problem up until now at least has never occurred while using any part of Selling Manager , only happens while browsing other ebay.ca pages and only sporadically. 

I am running a fully updated Windows 10 desktop running the Chrome browser. Neither Windows Defender , IBM Rapport Trusteer nor Malwarebytes scans detect anything harmful residing on the system. Clearing cache and temporary files has no effect on this problem.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

I don't get redirected or see any ads referred to because I have an ad blocker installed in my browser.
I also have a modified 'Hosts' file in my system that also blocks many intrusions.

Have you installed an ad blocker?
If so, update the filters; possibly your browser also.

Install uBlock Origin if you don't have one in your Firefox browser.

It is also available for Chrome, Safari, and Opera.

Adblock is available for IE.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

There's no need for 2 ad blockers. I'm sure there's considerable redundancy, and the possibility of affecting browser speed.

Some ad blockers are better than others, and have more frequent filter updates.
Get rid of any add on toolbars and/or search helpers you may have installed.

I've tried many combinations, and prefer Firefox x64 with uBlock Origin.
My daughter is a die hard Internet Explorer user, so I installed Adblock Plus on her laptop, as uBlock isn't available for IE.
Adblock Plus was letting a few annoyances sneak by, but the addition of the modified 'Hosts' file resolved that.

With a good blocker and updated filters, the opportunity for any malware intrusion is also reduced, as the user isn't presented with the opportunity to invite the malware in.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

It's a different ad this time. Unusual to get so many in such a short period of time; I've forwarded it to the PM who blocked the other one.

One the meantime, ad blockers should work, as others have suggested (and, as others have also mentioned, I agree that you should not "have" to use an ad blocker to view a site, but this is just a workaround for now). If you're using Chrome, you can also right-click on the tab itself and choose "Mute site" or Mute tab". I'm sure other browsers have this option as well.

Veuillez patienter...

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I used to get Gamiss, now I'm getting some windows flag and it's almost impossible to close, keeps taking me to another page.  

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

That's awful, sounds like a pest has perhaps hijacked your browser.

There's a faint chance you might have the incognitosearch browser hijacker or something similar.

You could check on your browser's installed "add-ons" or "extensions" found in your browser "settings". Look for suspiciously titled extensions, if you don’t like the look of something delete it. Also while in settings check that your default "home" page setting hasn't been altered. Same thing goes for the default "search" engine setting, it may be directing you to their phony search.
Another place to check is the OS installed programs , Windows used to call it "Add and Remove Programs", think it's called something else now, maybe "Program Features ".

You could also look for a "return to default settings" command , that would likely be in the "advanced " browser settings .

On the off chance you're not aware, an adblocker is just a little browser add- on or extension. The browser will have a search tool for finding something suitable, usually free... sort of.

Best of luck.
Message 13 of 13
latest reply