Account Permanently Suspended...but why?

vowk8814
Community Member

Hello,

I created an eBay account 6 days ago because I was interested in buying a video game console that hasn’t been commercially available for some time. I saw one that I thought was reasonably priced (albeit used and significantly above retail price), submitted an offer, received a counteroffer a day or two later and countered that counteroffer, which was then allowed to expire by the seller. So I submitted a second offer to that seller at the price of the original counteroffer and did not hear a response for over 24 hours.

In the meantime, I browsed around the site last night, looking for original components of the gaming system. Eventually I found the same product that I had submitted the offer for that had a lower asking price than the offer I had made, so I made an offer on that one, which was instantly rejected. I made a second offer on the second product and it was instantly rejected as well. When I went to make a third offer, I received a notification that said that I could not make any more offers for the time being. Shortly thereafter, I received a message that my account had been permanently suspended!

I emailed right away, asking eBay to explain themselves. I got a response from Ravi who said that this “wasn’t a problem” and they wanted to know the answers to 4 questions, specifically what am I looking to buy, when would I pay if my bid was successful, how would I pay and what was my PayPal account. So I sent a response to all of their questions and received a reply a little bit later that said despite my answers, my account is still suspended permanently and this decision cannot be appealed. 

I sent a response to this saying that I really don’t understand this decision because all I did was make five offers over the course of a 6-day period using the “make an offer” functionality in order to negotiate a price. If the prices were firm, then why would that option be available? Besides, I don’t feel that I was low-balling- my initial offer on the first item that got countered was 16.7% below asking while my initial offer on the second item was 19% below asking- and even if I was, I would have expected such an offer to be rejected automatically, which was the case with the second item. 

The phrase “your account exhibits a risk to eBay and our community” has been cited in the responses from eBay. I just want to know what the specific problem is? Has my account been hacked without my knowledge and I’ve made thousands of ridiculous offers on everything on the site? The autocorrect on my iPad hasn’t helped matters by inserting a few grammar mistakes in my responses to eBay- grrr!

Can anyone offer any advice on this situation? I have read that creating a new account is a bad idea. That said, I did create this account just to post this message here. Thank you very much in advance for your advice on this troubling situation!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

mcrlmn
Community Member
DOS attack... eBay reacted to the barrage of offers and other correspondence.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I think, if what you say is accurate, and there has been no other activities....

That eBay has frankly shot itself in the foot, which amusing as it is, has placed you in a sour opinion of eBay and your ability to buy.

If eBay is saying its final I don't think anyone can change that.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Something similar just happened to me. I have never bought or sold anything. I put three of my own personal items up for sale, took my own pictures and made my own descriptions. They messaged me to say I was restricted. I contacted eBay and two agents just copy and pasted a script and then left the chat. They said I was a safety risk? How? I just started the account. I then chatted with a third agent who didn't just end the conversation but still was not helpful, gave me ZERO information. She said they won't delete my banking info because I wasn't in good standing? How exactly am I not in good standing, I've never purchased anything!

She said there's nothing that I can do and that I'm banned for life. But they get to keep my bank and credit card info?! Unreal! I feel like I have been scammed!

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@Anonymous

Did you set up a Managed Payments account first so that you could be paid?
EBay is very sloppy about that and it causes great confusion and upset when a new seller sees a Hold on the payment, has been told to ship, but can't put his hands on the cash.

Setting up the MP account calls for some pretty strict identification procedures, it's your money after all, but those should be good enough to confirm that the newbie is a serious seller.

The first poster was selling in a high value/high fraud category, where all parties (buyers, sellers and eBay) are very suspicious and unfortunately for good reason.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 6 of 6
latest reply