Chinese sellers Stop Shipping to Canada?

I have noticed in the past week or so many Chinese sellers have stopped shipping to Canada. The only reasonable explanation is that the Canada Post striking has caused this.

I had a large order to fill now for the holiday season only to find out that my supplier (and many others) have stopped shipping to Canada available all of a sudden! This makes ding business impossible. What am I to say to customers? Any solution, thoughts. comments welcome.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Has the cost of shipping to Canada changed?

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

6 days ago Canada Post suspended all international shipments of parcels coming into Canada. https://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/canada-post-asks-for-halt-to-international-...

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Can you send it to an address in the USA and call a parcel service to bring it to you instead?

It’s due to the strikes.

My advice to everyone affected is the same. Write the PMO and your MP and the federal Minister of Labour and cc local media. I did. The labour disruption affects many of us.
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I am not sure the cost has changed but service has for certain. I noticed also that most of my suppliers  in China changed shipping times for Standard, and Economy. As mentioned, I can only surmise that this is due to increasing complaints by consumers as result of the strike. The other major issue as mentioned is some sellers have stopped altogether shipping to Canada

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Shipping to Canada from USA cost is formidable (furthermore...)!!!!!!
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

So in your estimation does this mean that things will return to business as usual once an agreement is reached at Canada Post? (I would add that in all likelihood this will affect shipping times and availability for many months regardless)
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I noticed also that most of my suppliers  in China changed shipping times for Standard, and Economy.

More likely this has to do with the increased cost of shipping from China now that the UPU has finally persuaded China Post to raise their rates.

If your seller is using DelCon (airmail and tracked) shipping his costs (and shipping charges to you) have already risen.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

We had a few things from china in cart for a few days and went to complete them yesterday.  Both stopped shipping to Canada and we had to buy from elsewhere.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/canada-post-phasing-out-controversial-shipping-di...

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/2169214/china-regrets-americas-departure-universal...

https://www.ft.com/content/44e4eebe-d6c2-11e8-ab8e-6be0dcf18713

https://www.ft.com/content/3af8bfb8-ad3a-11e8-94bd-cba20d67390c

The Chinese were using the United States Postal Service and Canada Post to subsidize the costs of shipping items out of China

Now, they will have to pay like other first world countries....

The days of free shipping from China are numbered. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Obviously in the current climate of Canada Post and labor disruptions, many Chinese vendors will not ship to Canada as packages are being returned or will face major delays, far more than usual.

As far as postage rates, it really depends on the seller. Your typical Chinese seller that sells odds and ends for 99¢ with free shipping will suddenly face issues with shipping costs.

In the category I purchase from (watch parts) where individual prices are $15-20 per item, where my typical spend is $60-70 dollars, they usually send with ePacket or UBI Smart Parcel. They don't charge extra shipping. So in this scenario they must make enough profit they can invest in tracked packages.

So the experience of shoppers will vary depending on the price point and profit margin of what they buy from China as far as shipping goes. (Present CPC kerfuffle aside)
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I think the new higher China Post rates will make a big difference to Chinese businesses selling cheap junk.

Maybe they will have to charge $2USD instead of $1USD to keep the Free Shipping that is an important part of thir business plan.

Sellers like yours who already use tracked and Air Mail delivery probably won't be affected.

Is this good news for small online sellers in Canada?  Possibly the lazy types who have been dropshipping from Chinese catalogues, but not those importing wholesale and shipping from Canada.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I ordered a camera system. Cheap one but the seller said he cannot ship to me and made me cancel the order. I keep asking why but won’t answer me
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@findingmyway40 wrote:
I ordered a camera system. Cheap one but the seller said he cannot ship to me and made me cancel the order. I keep asking why but won’t answer me

You should start a new thread discussion. 

This an old ZOMBIE thread where the problems were related to the 2018 postal strikes.

Many reasons why a Seller might have decided not to ship their item (some valid, some not).

The good thing at least, is they were not a Seller who pretended to ship it to you in hopes of scamming your money.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply