How do you find the person behind a post?

I see a pair of my boots on ebay, I had loaned them to a person who I thought I could trust.

How do I find them? this person changed cell number and moved, so now have no way of contacting them but see my boots for sale!

Next, is the police if I can't figure it out here.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Privacy concerns prevent eBay from giving you any information other than what you see in a listing.

You can use the "contact seller" or "Ask a question" links to get in touch with seller and ascertain if these are your boots.

Otherwise, you may have to file a formal complaint with the police if you can prove they are your boots offered for sale without your authorization.  Whether your local police will bother or not... that is another question.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Prada boots may be expensive, but they are mass manufactured. No good reason to think that's your pair on eBay.

Where does your ex-friend work? Try calling there. If she has also left her job, you may be able to get her new employer's name.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Seems all the horror stories I've heard about stolen goods being sold on ebay are true afterall. The seller is well hidden behind a thick layer or "privacy"

Message to this seller sent, doubt any response will come either.

He took a collection of name-brand items (Chanel, Prada, Jimmy Choo..etc) from me and never heard from him again. Feel violated and helpless.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

There ARE my boots. No doubt.

No forwarding address, cancelled phone number. The usual tactics of thieves.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

"He took a collection of name-brand items (Chanel, Prada, Jimmy Choo..etc) from me"

Why did you let him take these goods from you?  Was there a gun at your head?  Was it a case of break and enter?

Or did you hand the goods to him and was he expected to sell them on your behalf?

Or....?

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

That seller, member of eBay since 2004, is located in Minnesota.  How did your goods get from you to him?

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

"Seems all the horror stories I've heard about stolen goods being sold on ebay are true afterall."

You seem well informed about stuff happening on eBay.  Maybe you are also well informed about lawsuits launched by reputable sellers against posters attacking their reputation.  Cases of libel and/or defamation are often initiated by sellers against posters claiming they are thieves, etc...

While it does cost some money for sellers to sue, it also cost a lot more to defend oneself unless one can prove the allegations in a court of law. A judge will not be amused by "... the boots really look like mine.... so they must be mine"

Courts have routinely ordered organizations to provide name and address and other personal information in such cases. 

Hiding behind a anonymous ID does not work.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Have you reported the theft to the local police?

Have you reported the theft to your insurance company?

Both will do you more good than randomly searching eBay (or CL or KJJ) for similar items.

The police would pay attention to the theft of a few thousand dollars worth of designer clobber.

Your insurance company will cover you against theft and burglary, although you will have to prove the original cost and there will probably be a deductible.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I think this is a lost cause.

Thank you all for your responses.

NO way to get in touch with anyone. Seller did not respond to my request to connect.

That says alot, don't you think?

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

"That says a lot, don't you think?"

Not really.  What exactly did you ask the seller?

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Well, here's a suggestion since you are convinced they really are your boots.

Buy them.

Ask for a local pickup.

Drive to Minnesota.

Stop at the local police station.

Charge the seller with theft.

Follow the police car to his house.

Watch the arrest.

There's nothing good on TV at this time of year anyway.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply