contacting someone

how do you actually contact someone? My package went through customs to canada and is heading back to the USA. This feels like a scam to me

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

contacting someone

Perhaps the item you purchased is on the Canada Customs Prohibited List...

http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-inspection-experience/clearing-customs/prohibited-items/

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

contacting someone

Since it was sent, there is no reason to think it is a scam.

Even less if tracking shows it is being returned to the seller.

Canada prohibits the import all kinds of items, including some paintball supplies which are commonly available commercially here and a type of chimney cleaning 'firework' that I used to import for the woodstove business I managed.

An item could be legal in Canada and legal in the USA but still be stopped at the border.

That it is being returned to the sender is a bonus. You may be able to get at least the price back, if not the shipping.

Contact the seller and politely ask how he wants to handle the problem. Politely.

BTW, the importer is responsible for knowing what can and cannot be imported. The seller is not responsible for knowing the rules of all 178 countries in the United Nations.

Politely.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

contacting someone

Sorry.

Go to the original listing.

There should be a Contact Seller link on the right side.

If not look on the seller's feedback page, again on the right side.

Or look on your Paypal account for the invoice, his email address should be there too.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

contacting someone

Step One: Contact the seller. They have more say with the shipping company than the buyer when there are problems.

Two: If it does not arrive after the last estimated arrival date, you have 30 days to open a Item-Not-Received (INR) case via ebay. Do not close the case unless you get a refund OR the item. Do NOT accept an offer of a replacement (if it bounced once it will bounce twice).

Three: If you missed the eBay INR deadline, you can open a case on PayPal for INR for up to 180 days (6 months) after your purchase date.

-..-

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

contacting someone

Because the possibility of restricted materials has arisen, this is a comprehensive database of items that cannot be imported by mail for all countries which is handily managed by Canada Post. Carriers may have their own specific rules about handling materials too. 

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/pgIntDest-e.asp?letter=R%C2%A0

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

contacting someone

amcdc79
Community Member

@shawlace_32 wrote:

how do you actually contact someone? My package went through customs to canada and is heading back to the USA. This feels like a scam to me

Not really enough information to speculate whether or not it is a scam.

You do know that mail order brides are not allowed to be mailed.

That said, here are a few children who were mailed.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/brief-history-children-sent-through-mail-180959372/

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

contacting someone

Earlier this year, I had something returned to the sender in its originating country by Canada Customs because the seller had not supplied the appropriate paperwork. The source of your concern may be as simple as that. Although agreeably inconvenient, it is unlikely to be the scam you suspect.

If it is determined to be the fault of the seller that your package is being returned to him, you certainly are NOT obligated to pay shipping again. If the transaction must be canceled because it is undeliverable due to your purchased item not being allowed entry into Canada, this is another matter. That would be likely determined to be your fault, and the seller should not be expected to be financially held accountable for your error. You would have to cal ebay Customer Service for a ruling there, it is within the finer points of the MoneyBack Guarantee how they would treat that. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

contacting someone

Wait, is this a purchase made through the Global Shipping Program? Are you certain that you are interpreting the tracking correctly? May we have a screenshot?

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

contacting someone

Bingo.

Listings from the one seller who left feedback read;

No additional import charges at delivery!
This item will be shipped through the Global Shipping Program and includes international tracking.

The original tracking information ends when the parcel is transferred to the Canadian carrier (generally Canada Post).. Contact the seller and ask for more information.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

contacting someone

Thank you for your help. Ebay is a platform that i don't think I will use anymore. Amazon and other platforms are much easier and safe. Shipping is less on other sites as well. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply