Opening the chat now.

See you tomorrow!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

December 13th 2017 Weekly Session

Good evening, can you look at this strange message I see on my listings with calculated shipping on eBay Canada? It shows a price, but it also says "Shipping cost cannot be calculated. Please enter a valid postal code".

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I am still getting that message on my calculated shipping too.

I did notice something strange though when I checked it again I thought I would look at some of my DVD box sets that have calculated shipping. I only ship them to Canada and US as opposed to my other listings that I ship Internationally. Otherwise I do not see any difference in how they are set up. Shipping method is Small Packet USA Air and the error message does NOT show up on those listings.

Here are a couple item numbers. 282765712594 and 282765715403 These 2 both work fine. All of my other calculated listings where I ship Worldwide still show the Error message for Small Packet Air USA

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I have noticed some of my listings for books are being bounced into the wrong category when I put in the ISBN or UPC number. I would not mind if the category they got bounced to made sense, but it is just wrong. The catalogue information is (usually) correct but I cannot change the category once the UPC code is there.

Right now I have 9 active listings under Textbooks and Education that should not be there. Most of the time it happens with Non Fiction listings, but not always, one of them is an Agatha Christie novel. I have a bunch of drafts I'm working on right now that are all biographies, and most of them are getting filed under Textbooks and Education. They should be under Non Fiction Biography/Autobiography.

I would rather have them filed in the right category and forego the catalogue info, but I've tried that in the past and sometimes I get an error or can't continue until I fill in the ISBN. Sometimes it seems to work, but I'd rather have the catalogue info AND the right category.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know WHY eBay is so obsessed about UPC and codes, etc.  I felt that they are NOT that important.  It is not like anyone would type the UPC codes to find the item.  Retire them!  That includes item specifics!

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Good morning,

It's almost too late for it to matter for 2017, but is there any chance we could get a gift wrap option for buyers to consider upgrading on checkout? I suggested it earlier this year. Short of adding a 'Gift Wrap Service' listing to my store which likely no one would find when they needed it, I can't think of any way to offer this service which some buyers may find very useful.

Thanks,

Maureen 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@around_again_records wrote:

I am still getting that message on my calculated shipping too.

I did notice something strange though when I checked it again I thought I would look at some of my DVD box sets that have calculated shipping. I only ship them to Canada and US as opposed to my other listings that I ship Internationally. Otherwise I do not see any difference in how they are set up. Shipping method is Small Packet USA Air and the error message does NOT show up on those listings.

Here are a couple item numbers. 282765712594 and 282765715403 These 2 both work fine. All of my other calculated listings where I ship Worldwide still show the Error message for Small Packet Air USA

Hi @around_again_records & @lady.stark!

This is an ongoing issue that @simeovivia0 is working with our development teams on a permanent solution as well as a temporary fix. We'll keep you posted as we have progress updates!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@around_again_records wrote:

I have noticed some of my listings for books are being bounced into the wrong category when I put in the ISBN or UPC number. I would not mind if the category they got bounced to made sense, but it is just wrong. The catalogue information is (usually) correct but I cannot change the category once the UPC code is there.

Right now I have 9 active listings under Textbooks and Education that should not be there. Most of the time it happens with Non Fiction listings, but not always, one of them is an Agatha Christie novel. I have a bunch of drafts I'm working on right now that are all biographies, and most of them are getting filed under Textbooks and Education. They should be under Non Fiction Biography/Autobiography.

I would rather have them filed in the right category and forego the catalogue info, but I've tried that in the past and sometimes I get an error or can't continue until I fill in the ISBN. Sometimes it seems to work, but I'd rather have the catalogue info AND the right category.

I agree - I'd rather you have both the catalogue info and the proper category. I see a few different reports of this and would like to get your information added to the  open tickets, will you please send me a PM with a few item numbers as examples to include? Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know WHY eBay is so obsessed about UPC and codes, etc.  I felt that they are NOT that important.  It is not like anyone would type the UPC codes to find the item.  Retire them!  That includes item specifics!

Hi @Anonymous - we don't expect members to search by UPC code (though it's an option for them if desired). By adding item specifics and UPC codes it allows us to correlate your listings with other search queries from potential buyers and make sure that your listings are more relevant in the results they appear in. Additionally, item specifics allow buyers to quickly filter through results to narrow down their search to the items they're looking for, increasing the likelihood of a sale.

While most item specifics are optional, we do encourage you to utilize them to make the best of the refinements that buyers are using!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Good morning,

It's almost too late for it to matter for 2017, but is there any chance we could get a gift wrap option for buyers to consider upgrading on checkout? I suggested it earlier this year. Short of adding a 'Gift Wrap Service' listing to my store which likely no one would find when they needed it, I can't think of any way to offer this service which some buyers may find very useful.

Thanks,

Maureen 

Hi Maureen -

Thanks for your patience with this, and for not letting it be forgotten!

When pressed on this, the product team has stated they will not be implementing it "at this time". It is something they say they look at regularly, so we may see it in the future, but given the response I've received I feel like we're looking at a more distant future than sooner.

I know it's not ideal, but you could consider adding to your items' description with the link to your 'item' about gift wrapping service, and advise to add it to the cart if they're interested. Alternatively I was thinking about using Promotions Manager to do so, but that is a little bit clunkier and convoluted.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining today - See you next week!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 11
latest reply