July 19 2017 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Howdy everyone,

As a point of information, there will not be a weekly chat 7/26, as I will be assisting with eBay Open events. If you'll be there feel free to drop by the Community booth and say hi!

Opening up the thread for our Weekly Chat Session for July 19, 2017. This thread will be open until tomorrow, so please post any questions or subjects for which you would like eBay support.

Please find the below table of open issues with the latest updates, as well as what we need in order to pursue them further. Many of them (having been older issues) require more recent examples for me to pursue any type of update. My time on the boards is limited, so I can't do as much digging as I'd like, so I really appreciate the effort that you've made to get me information - thank you!

Issue Status Latest Update Action taken/Next Steps
Items missing from combined invoice  Open/no updates "We need more details to investigate, will the original reported please let us know the status." Proposed removal from list if no update: 7/26
Search results page shows shipping costs inconsistent with what's on the item pages  Need clarification/examples "Shipping not matching is not a bug if it's a GSP item" Need more examples/information, let us know
Shipping Calculator returning erroneous rates Open/no updates "In order to test further we need current examples of this." Need more examples/information, let us know
Selling limits live items count discrepancy  Open/no updates "Can you provide a more recent example?" Need more examples/information, let us know
Handling times not being added properly  Report Filed No update at this point Waiting for tech team's response
Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

What is happening with ebay Guides? 

Last year, I wrote two on ebay.co.uk since the option was not available on ebay.ca and they formatted better than what was available on ebay.com. 

Last week, I noticed they are nowhere to be found.

What is going on? I spent a considerable amount of time on those guides and I would write more if I knew the program wasn't being eliminated on purpose. 

Thank you.

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

Also, since I posed the question to you last week about ebay Canada French sellers not being able to have buyers check-out, two more users have come to Community with the same problem but as buyers. Can you please tell us what is being done for these users? Thank you. 

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

A Buyer has just opened a case on me because They stated that they did not authorize this purchase

This happened last year and I tried to fight it because I had proof I sent the item and they received it, but the credit card  company they used sent them back their payment and the money was taken out of my account. Even though they said they didn't want the item they didn't even have to send it back, How is this allowed to happen?

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

We were told by eBay that by enabling the combine rules discounts on our account, it would solve the problem of the buyer not being able to ask for an invoice, even if no rule is actually input. Well... I did that, and I still have buyers telling me they are not able to ask for an invoice. So what now?

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

Hello,

Can you debunk the theory that there is no such thing as a "rolling blackout".  I hate to even ask the question but my sales are so bulked into certain times that I cannot help but feel that something is going on behind the scenes.  This is not necessarily to say that sales are slow because overall I'm doing ok during what tends to be my slow period of the year but rather why they come in groups on certain days of the week while other days of the week are completely empty.  This has been fairly consistent where by I have enough sales data to ask this question.

At the end of the day I just want to here that I'm being ridiculous lol and my store is visible to all customers that I ship to 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Thank you for your time.

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Hi Tyler,

for the Selling limits live items count discrepancy ,the selling limits section of my account shows that I sold 9 items so far this month and that I currently have 264 active listings.  

The actual number of my active listings is 943 and the number of items sold is significantly more. Is this an example of what you are looking for?

Kind regards, Monika

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

I have exposed an annoying bug with the ebay iPhone app. 

When a seller uses their Sales Record to mark shipped and upload tracking, it somehow subtly communicates that differently to the iPhone app than does doing it from the Selling Manager Summary page. And then the app refuses to acknowledge the orders as shipped, regardless of how long ago that was done. And, yes, I'm running the latest version of the mobile app, I checked.

Cases in point. Screenshot from the app:

IMG_3848.jpg

The orders that shipped (and in one case, actually Delivered for more than a week) but are not considered shipped:

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 11.03.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 11.04.00 AM.png

The only thing I did differently in my work flow at my desktop is, like I say, add the tracking number and click 'Shipped on' from the Sales Record itself. 

For obvious reasons, I find it super annoying to have the app telling me for 60 days to ship orders that are long gone. Is there any way I can address this? Thanks.

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

Hi Tyler, 

Could you take a look at the issue reported in this thread, and let those of us who list on .com know what's happening please?  It seems some of the functions are not working properly, or have been removed.  Seller Hub on .com looks wildly different than it did a few weeks ago.  Is this another beta test of some sort? 

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Those-days-you-wonder-how-ebay-dev-projects-get-approved/...

From my own point of view, it seemed as if this new .com Order Management page wasn't communicating properly with my Selling Manager on .ca.  Two items on .com were flagged with bright red warnings that "Shipping is overdue", when in fact I had manually entered "shipped" on my .ca Selling Manager nearly 2 weeks prior.  What's going on there? 

Could this latter problem be connected with the issue 'mjwl' referred to just above? 

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

I thought I'd post screen shots so you can see exactly what I'm seeing (re my post above).  The first is what appears on my eBay.com Order Management screen, the second on my eBay.ca Selling Manager -- Transaction Details (on eBay.ca, the item shows a "shipped" icon, as it should).  

The partial refund mentioned here was for over-payment by the buyer on shipping since these items cost less to ship together than had they been sent individually.  

(As an aside, I've never contacted CS to get my FVFs back on such orders, as it seemed such a lot of trouble and time to waste in every instance for a dollar or two.  But over time, it has probably added up to a not insignificant sum of over-billing by eBay.  Would it not be possible for eBay to set up a feature that would automatically reverse FVFs if a seller makes a partial refund for shipping?  Surely eBay can see the transaction details to confirm.  BTW, as you probably know, Paypal reverses its fees when a seller refunds a buyer, why not eBay?).  

As I said, I'd entered the "shipped" status manually on .ca, and it was a non-tracked parcel, which is why you see no tracking # recorded.  

2017-07-19-Screenshot-.com.jpg

...and the Transaction Details on .ca: 

2017-07-19-Screenshot2-.ca.jpg

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

One last question, again in relation to the link in my Post #9 above concerning issues on the new .com Seller Hub.  

Is it completely safe to create listings on .com at the moment?  I'm not being facetious.  I have a number of important listings to put up and I don't want to go through the process only to find that things are not working, not uploading properly, or not displaying properly.  

I don't know whether this involves contacting your U.S./.com counterparts, but some assurance about the site stability and functionality at the moment would be helpful.  Thanks. 

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

@bunbar wrote:

A Buyer has just opened a case on me because They stated that they did not authorize this purchase

This happened last year and I tried to fight it because I had proof I sent the item and they received it, but the credit card  company they used sent them back their payment and the money was taken out of my account. Even though they said they didn't want the item they didn't even have to send it back, How is this allowed to happen?

Hi @bunbar - it sounds like what you're describing is a dispute with the financial company itself, also called a charge-back. In this situation the card owner has gone directly to the card issuer to dispute the charge itself. That process is not under any eBay jurisdiction or decision making, it is instead between financial processors (usually a bank or credit card company and PayPal).

The financial institution has final say in the course of their investigation. One thing that I have seen help win a charge-back is confirmed tracking with signature proving the address and individual it was delivered to. In most circumstances, that is a little bit of overkill. What ends up being a little more realistic is to build a budget for losses of this type based on the total number of these disputes you've had in the last year averaged over the number of sales, and increasing your prices by that amount. This will set you up with a slush fund to absorb losses like this if they happen in the future.

From our perspective, while we aren't able to take action on this type of dispute for you, we do track the number of charge-backs buyers make and if it is excessive we take action on the account.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 31
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Also, since I posed the question to you last week about ebay Canada French sellers not being able to have buyers check-out, two more users have come to Community with the same problem but as buyers. Can you please tell us what is being done for these users? Thank you. 

Hey @momcqueen - This tech issue is still under review. If you'll point me to the threads in particular I'll happily get them added to the ticket as further proof this issue is ongoing and impactful. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 31
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Hey @momcqueen - This tech issue is still under review. If you'll point me to the threads in particular I'll happily get them added to the ticket as further proof this issue is ongoing and impactful. Thanks!

This is one of the two. I'll have to look a little harder for the second one to which I am referring but in the meantime, you have this one to log. Thanks.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Is-there-a-way-to-fix-this-error/td-p/378726

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

Or maybe I am just imagining the second one. It might have been that a second buyer added their comments to an existing thread, since I don't see a second new thread among my notifications. It may have been that the existing thread quoted to you last week drew another user/buyer who hadn't been involved in the original conversation. In which case it's semi-logged already. 

Message 15 of 31
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

What is happening with ebay Guides? 

Last year, I wrote two on ebay.co.uk since the option was not available on ebay.ca and they formatted better than what was available on ebay.com. 

Last week, I noticed they are nowhere to be found.

What is going on? I spent a considerable amount of time on those guides and I would write more if I knew the program wasn't being eliminated on purpose. 

Thank you.

I haven't heard of any changes to Guides, so it's disconcerting to hear that you've seen some go missing. I don't see any tech reports of this either, so I'd like to get this reported. Will you send me a PM with what you remember the guides being about (titles if you still have them would be great) and I'll see what I can do to get us more info. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 31
latest reply

It doesn't seem like it would be hard to find the person who received the item since the post office delivered it to the address on the package. Not only do I lose the payment, the shipping but also the item shipped. No matter what happens the seller is always protected no matter who;s fault it is, but the seller almost never is. It's very frustrating when there are no options at my end

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

We were told by eBay that by enabling the combine rules discounts on our account, it would solve the problem of the buyer not being able to ask for an invoice, even if no rule is actually input. Well... I did that, and I still have buyers telling me they are not able to ask for an invoice. So what now?

@lady.stark - there are limitations to when a buyer will be able to request an invoice. For example, if they only have one item in their cart, if you've set up combined shipping or free shipping rules, etc. If you send me an example buyer and item number or two that will help me establish exactly what could be going on. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 18 of 31
latest reply

@cgphile wrote:

Hi Tyler,

for the Selling limits live items count discrepancy ,the selling limits section of my account shows that I sold 9 items so far this month and that I currently have 264 active listings.  

The actual number of my active listings is 943 and the number of items sold is significantly more. Is this an example of what you are looking for?

Kind regards, Monika

@cgphile Yes! That is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll take that back and see what more I can get with a bona fide example now. Thank you!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 19 of 31
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Or maybe I am just imagining the second one. It might have been that a second buyer added their comments to an existing thread, since I don't see a second new thread among my notifications. It may have been that the existing thread quoted to you last week drew another user/buyer who hadn't been involved in the original conversation. In which case it's semi-logged already. 

The one thread will give me something to comb over and do some digging with - it helps immensely. If you do happen upon another one feel free to tag me or send me the link. Thank you!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 20 of 31
latest reply