July 5 2017 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Howdy everyone,

Opening up the thread for our Weekly Chat Session for July 5, 2017. This thread will be open until tomorrow, so please post any questions or subjects for which you would like eBay support.

Many of you have requested an ongoing list of open and resolved items, so we will try to keep a running list going when we open these weekly chats.  Here is the current version - more detailed responses can be found in a previous chat thread. See you then!

Open issues:

• Browse pages and Search pages showing different results for same category
  • Some Search pages show watchers, some don't
  • Items missing from combined invoice - we need more details to investigate.  Can the original reporter please let us know the status
  • Search results page shows shipping costs inconsistent with what's on the item pages - We are working with the Shipping team to figure out the issue and a solution. 
  • Shipping Calculator returning erroneous rates
  • Selling limits live items count discrepancy - We are investigating further.
  • Missing Tracked Packet destinations - still no update from PayPal and Pitney Bowes
  • Adding Economy International Shipping - requested here
  • Handling times not being added properly - requested here
  • Link to Community located on Feedback page points to eBay.com - appears to have been resolved, please tag us if this is still a problem you're encountering
Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

tyler@ebay wrote:

Open issues:

• Missing Tracked Packet destinations - still no update from PayPal and Pitney Bowes

The above issue has been around for 1 or 2 years with nothing ever done about it. If the issue still exists on the PayPal platform, then it should be brought up directly with PayPal tech support by users affected by it.

Since eBay.ca Canada uses and no longer uses the PayPal shipping platform, then the issue is no longer relevant to eBay.ca Canada Shippo shipping platform and should be dropped from the list above.

Has any eBay member checked if Shippo has all Tracked Packet destinations in its setup? I would think this would good to check out proactively while Shippo and eBay.ca are working out the bugs in the Shippo platform.

Message 2 of 43
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

Howdy everyone,

Opening up the thread for our Weekly Chat Session for July 5, 2017. This thread will be open until tomorrow, so please post any questions or subjects for which you would like eBay support.

Many of you have requested an ongoing list of open and resolved items, so we will try to keep a running list going when we open these weekly chats.  Here is the current version - more detailed responses can be found in a previous chat thread. See you then!

Open issues:

• Items missing from combined invoice - we need more details to investigate.  Can the original reporter please let us know the status
  • Search results page shows shipping costs inconsistent with what's on the item pages - We are working with the Shipping team to figure out the issue and a solution. 
  • Link to Community located on Feedback page points to eBay.com - appears to have been resolved, please tag us if this is still a problem you're encountering

Some of the above issues have the same status since they were added. How do sellers know they are still being looked at? How about a date last checked with each issue.

For example, my issue (in italics above) reported over a year ago and added to your list a few weeks ago, what is happening with it?

Message 3 of 43
latest reply

This is not a problem I am experiencing but one I grow weary of not being able to help solve for people who come to eBay Canada Community looking for answers.

The Guest Order system leaves much to be desired.

It seems like people who have an account and forget their password (or never had an account at all) place their orders and are not ever able to log back in to look at it. For a myriad of reasons. 

I get that offering a Guest Order process is important but there has to be some examination of the process from the buyer's end. People are getting turned off ebay big time by it. Or the Help Process is lacking severely. Or both.

Please search 'Guest Order' here for a hundred results. There are an average of three questions a week posed about it. And they're virtually all the same. 'I placed a Guest Order and it didn't come and now I cannot log in to look at it and I get some kind of error and please help.'

Message 4 of 43
latest reply

A 2 Part Question: Part 1

I sent a buyer (in Mexico) an email telling them that I was able to ship their item cheaper than I thought and that they would receive some of their shipping back. I received an email minutes later asking for a tracking number. I tried to explain that shipping an envelope (Large envelope with sheet music in it) from Canada has no shipping number. They instantly called me a liar and wanted their money back. (Package had just een mailed) I told them to return the music sheet and I would return the payment I even sent a link to the Canada post office that explained this. Each time I answered their email (in English and Spanish) I was called a liar. I was then given negative feedback in which I was also called a liar. At what point does ebay ever take the side of the buyer.

Message 5 of 43
latest reply

Part 2:

We must now use Shippo to ship from Canada. Before this when we used to make a label it automatically sent the buyer an email with the tracking number and marked the item as shipped, also with  the tracking number. Shippo is not doing any of this. No tracking number. No marking the item as shipped. No emails. I don’t even know how it was paid for. Nothing missing from my bank account or paypal. It did print the label but no confirmation except what you see in the picture

Message 6 of 43
latest reply

I must echo it is a step backwards into the Dark Ages that we have to manually upload tracking to eBay AND PayPal now with Shippo labels. Did no one trial this?
Message 7 of 43
latest reply

Hi tyler: you indicated below:

• Some Search pages show watchers, some don't.

It is not some search pages show watchers, it is some items show watchers some don't.  For instance:

watchers again.jpg

Message 8 of 43
latest reply

Hi Tyler, I mentioned previously that the CD catalogue was dropping off.  This has been happening on a regular basis.  At first you had it then poof, gone.   I have 3 examples here.  

Putumayo 

put doesn't show.jpg

J Geils

j geils result.jpg

no results.jpg

BB King:  

bb king found.jpgBBking can't find.jpg

Message 9 of 43
latest reply

How did you find the tracking number? If I use the tracking number on the label it says on the  Canada post site it says "This service does not include tracking"  Did you find a way to track a package?

Message 10 of 43
latest reply

Hi Tyler,

I would like to have my eBay Bucks invitation transferred to my buying I.D. Is this possible??

Thanks,

Derrick

Message 11 of 43
latest reply

When are they going to get a cart that works? I am tired of this when a seller ships worldwide:

This item does not ship to your location. Here is what you can do:

• To see if the seller will ship to you, contact the seller.
  • Go to checkout and change address.

:

Message 12 of 43
latest reply

Or this issue when you try to add to cart. No wonder buyers are PO'd, going away, and sellers are losing sales.

The seller does not offer combined shipping discounts.The seller has disallowed combined payments and shipping discounts. Please proceed to checkout to complete your purchase.

You go to checkout and get the previous problem.

This is getting ridiculous, Ebay loves to collect their fees but this needs to be fixed.

Maybe just one reason buyers and sellers go off site. So a buyer can buy and a seller can sell. With Ebay you can't do either a lot of the time.

Message 13 of 43
latest reply

A lot of problems are cropping up with Shippo.  Many sellers are already abandoning it for Canada Post's Snap Ship (me included).  I won't try again until I know most of these issues have been addressed. 

Please take a look at the sheer number of subject lines regarding "Shippo" on the Seller Central board.  This service is no match for what we had with Paypal, even considering Paypal's recognized flaws.

I'll try to summarize a few issues I've seen reported:

• No automated communication with the eBay transaction, i.e. item is not marked "shipped", no tracking # uploaded to eBay, no customer-specific packing slip (that I could find).  This is a huge time-waster, and it leaves sellers open to inadvertent omissions or mistakes that could cost them dearly in seller evaluations.
  • No immediate billing for labels.  This is a big deal for a lot of us.  The idea of once-in-a-while billing is not only very confusing, but adds extra accounting work for sellers (wasting more time). 
  • Confusing $USD and $CDN label charges.
  • Problems with weight inputs (customs vs. parcel) not being able to be entered properly.
  • No Light Packet service (a lot of us use it!).  I realize there is a temporary discount on Small Packet at the moment that makes it attractive as an alternative, but that won't last.  
  • Some apparently erroneous overcharges or -- at best -- confusing and unexplained charges when they do appear on Paypal.

If I've forgotten a few, I'd be glad to have other sellers fill in the blanks.  

The eBay Canada people said we were going to love this new shipping service.  Why was it not tested thoroughly on specifically Canadian scenarios to identify and eliminate these problems before launch?  

Message 14 of 43
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Or this issue when you try to add to cart. No wonder buyers are PO'd, going away, and sellers are losing sales.

The seller does not offer combined shipping discounts.The seller has disallowed combined payments and shipping discounts. Please proceed to checkout to complete your purchase.

You go to checkout and get the previous problem.

I expect eBay will say that all a seller has to do to avoid having buyers see the "no combined discounts" error message is to toggle the "offer combined discounts" option on within Seller Preferences.  That's true, but the reason this issue remains a problem is because eBay doesn't see it as anything they need to fix.  What they really need to do is either:  

1)  Make sellers aware of what they have to do to avoid it, via a general-distribution email explaining the issue in detail, preferably with visual examples on what steps and options lead to which results.  

Incidentally, a few months ago there was an odd banner message/warning that ran for a while on the top of .com SYI pages that referred to combined discounts.  It was so perplexing and incoherent that I couldn't make any sense of it at the time.  Now, in retrospect, I think it was a warning to sellers to turn on "offer combined discounts" (and possibly also to use automated rules only) -- but this needs to be stated far more clearly and understandably for the average seller to grasp what needs to be done. 

OR: 

2)  Change the system so that not toggling the discounts to "on" does not generate the error screen that is so confusing and frustrating to buyers.  

It seems that by introducing the option to turn on combined discounts or not, eBay has somehow knocked out the part of its checkout system that used to allow buyers to ask for a manually-adjusted total from within the cart (using "Request Total").  

I can say that I've had the same inability to request a total from a cart as a buyer several times over the past few months, and based on the explanations I've been given by the eBay staffers, I now know why -- my sellers probably had no idea whatsoever that they had to toggle the combined discount option on.  Whether having that option turned on avoids the "seller does not offer discounts" error screen even if a seller hasn't set up any automated discounts/rules, I really don't know.  Perhaps one of the eBay people could test and confirm this. 

This is such an critical function (in fact you could argue it's the most critical function of an online selling platform) that it's beyond belief why it hasn't been fully resolved before now.  Surely eBay doesn't want to lose all the FVFs generated by those multi-item orders, or worse -- lose confused and frustrated buyers from the site entirely.  

Message 15 of 43
latest reply

I made a purchase this morning and nothing in regards to Ebay bucks.

It is supposed to start today, so will I get them?

Message 16 of 43
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

Howdy everyone,

Open issues:

Some of the above issues have the same status since they were added. How do sellers know they are still being looked at? How about a date last checked with each issue.

For example, my issue (in italics above) reported over a year ago and added to your list a few weeks ago, what is happening with it?

Hi @pocomocomputing - I ask for updates on these weekly (usually Thursdays) and I edit any updates in the post for the weekly chat. 

I'll see what I can do to increase pressure for a response.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 17 of 43
latest reply

Last post here for today (sorry, I've been saving them up) --- 

This is more in the way of a suggestion.  For years (on .ca) in the SYI shipping section, I've had to choose "Worldwide" as a second international shipping destination in order to have New Zealand show up with a specific shipping cost in a listing.  However, the effect of this is to create a double entry for shipping to the U.S. on the Shipping section tab of the listing, which could be confusing for some buyers.  

Would it be possible to add "Oceania" or even "New Zealand" itself to the specific international destination list?  

For years, Australia has been on that list, along with some European and other countries.  Including "Oceania" in the list would capture NZ, and presumably a seller's own exclusion list would ensure that more obscure destinations would not be included.  For me (and I'm sure for many other Canadian sellers), NZ is a significant buyer market that I'd like to be able to cater to in displaying shipping costs. 

Can this be done??  

Message 18 of 43
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

This is not a problem I am experiencing but one I grow weary of not being able to help solve for people who come to eBay Canada Community looking for answers.

The Guest Order system leaves much to be desired.

It seems like people who have an account and forget their password (or never had an account at all) place their orders and are not ever able to log back in to look at it. For a myriad of reasons. 

I get that offering a Guest Order process is important but there has to be some examination of the process from the buyer's end. People are getting turned off ebay big time by it. Or the Help Process is lacking severely. Or both.

Please search 'Guest Order' here for a hundred results. There are an average of three questions a week posed about it. And they're virtually all the same. 'I placed a Guest Order and it didn't come and now I cannot log in to look at it and I get some kind of error and please help.'

Guest accounts can definitely be problematic, as removing the option completely isn't feasible, and an overhaul is unlikely. If a buyer were to lose the Guest Account email, they can contact CS for a re-send of the confirmation email and the access code they need in order to view their purchase details.

I agree that there can be more strides made to make that information more visible, I appreciate that feedback.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 19 of 43
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pocomocomputing wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

Open issues:

The above issue has been around for 1 or 2 years with nothing ever done about it. If the issue still exists on the PayPal platform, then it should be brought up directly with PayPal tech support by users affected by it.

Since eBay.ca Canada uses and no longer uses the PayPal shipping platform, then the issue is no longer relevant to eBay.ca Canada Shippo shipping platform and should be dropped from the list above.

Has any eBay member checked if Shippo has all Tracked Packet destinations in its setup? I would think this would good to check out proactively while Shippo and eBay.ca are working out the bugs in the Shippo platform.

Thanks pocomo. I'll check with Shippo and CPC when I connect with them later today. 

Message 20 of 43
latest reply