March 21st 2018 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone -

Thanks for your mentions and messages over the weekend. I'll be working through those this week.

Opening the chat for your questions, see you tomorrow!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Hi. Good evening.

I have ongoing concerns about the Grouped versus Ungrouped search results being shown on ebay.com. I am still nowhere to be found. Also, ebay.com has eliminated, from what I can tell, the opportunity to search only within North America in favour of Guaranteed Within X Days which now lumps ebay sellers located in Canada with everyone else (China), does it not? Now, there's no way I can find to eliminate only the sellers outside North America. I don't like that as either a buyer or a seller.

Ungrouped, arranged by nearest firstUngrouped, arranged by nearest firstGrouped, and you'd think I ceased to existGrouped, and you'd think I ceased to exist

Second, the issue arose in a thread I created about buyers sending embarrassing or personal details about their health or economic wellbeing as part of their Terms in a Best Offer and how other sellers deal with this, and within it there arose some users have been approached to 'sponsor' people, like YouTubers, in exchange for free stuff. My question is: is this sort of proposition allowed by ebay? It's like a proposition, or spam, unsolicited to my mind. Starts at Message 23 of 30 https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/How-do-you-as-a-seller-respond-to-Best-Offers-that-come-...

What are your thoughts on that? 

Thanks,

Maureen 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I do recall being told, a few years back, by an eBay Canada employee who transferred to San Jose a year or so ago that the corp was working on a Canadian supplier for shipping supplies.  A possibility or, do will we just keep getting/qualifying (in my case, generally unwanted/unneeded) "free" 33 cent boxes for $2.00 (against our quarterly credit) a piece?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

amcdc79
Community Member

First off, thank you and ebay for having this weekly session.

Secondly, from those who received the latest promotions, thank you ebay also.

Lastly, if I may throw this idea your way. Your predecessor had a list of questions he was working on, and would start the session with updates whenever he had heard back from the various teams working on the answers. Could you please do likewise?

Many times the folks who have asked you to look into finding the answer, will have to remind you, or bring it up again. We all know, it can take time to get to the bottom of some of the issues, so this is just a suggestion, thanks.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

Hi. Good evening.

I have ongoing concerns about the Grouped versus Ungrouped search results being shown on ebay.com. I am still nowhere to be found. Also, ebay.com has eliminated, from what I can tell, the opportunity to search only within North America in favour of Guaranteed Within X Days which now lumps ebay sellers located in Canada with everyone else (China), does it not? Now, there's no way I can find to eliminate only the sellers outside North America. I don't like that as either a buyer or a seller.

Ungrouped, arranged by nearest firstUngrouped, arranged by nearest firstGrouped, and you'd think I ceased to existGrouped, and you'd think I ceased to exist

Second, the issue arose in a thread I created about buyers sending embarrassing or personal details about their health or economic wellbeing as part of their Terms in a Best Offer and how other sellers deal with this, and within it there arose some users have been approached to 'sponsor' people, like YouTubers, in exchange for free stuff. My question is: is this sort of proposition allowed by ebay? It's like a proposition, or spam, unsolicited to my mind. Starts at Message 23 of 30 https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/How-do-you-as-a-seller-respond-to-Best-Offers-that-come-...

What are your thoughts on that? 

Thanks,

Maureen 

Hi Maureen! Here's what I've been able to find on your questions:

There has not been a change to search filters that I am aware of. In scouring my knowledge base and doing tests on both the mobile app and various browsers and sites I have no idea why the 'item location' field is not showing on PC results on .com. However, when I load a .ca browser 'item location' appears, as well as on mobile (both US and CA locations). At this point I'm considering this a tech issue and am sending it for more review and clarification. I'll keep you posted as I hear back.

When it comes to grouped search results, I don't have an answer for you at this point. The last time we spoke about this we talked about the fact that in order to show up in grouped search a listing must use the eBay catalog. I can't find your items in a grouped search, but I also can't tell for certain that the item of yours I looked at specifically (the memo Rojas JR) used the catalog. Would you be able to take a look and double check for me?

With regards to the thread you linked: requesting a free item in exchange for YouTube 'exposure' isn't something we'd consider an off-eBay sale, though we would consider it an abuse of the messaging system as there's no intent to facilitate a transaction on the site. If you get anything like this coming through please contact CS and report it so we can take appropriate action with the buyer!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@snoopwiz wrote:

I do recall being told, a few years back, by an eBay Canada employee who transferred to San Jose a year or so ago that the corp was working on a Canadian supplier for shipping supplies.  A possibility or, do will we just keep getting/qualifying (in my case, generally unwanted/unneeded) "free" 33 cent boxes for $2.00 (against our quarterly credit) a piece?

Hi @snoopwiz - that's definitely something that's possible, though not something I have heard is in the works.

The pricing of eBay Shipping Supplies is something that's near and dear to me and one I wish I had more info to share. For the time being, you're looking at no change with the quarterly coupon and the supplies you can exchange them for.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@amcdc79 wrote:

First off, thank you and ebay for having this weekly session.

Secondly, from those who received the latest promotions, thank you ebay also.

Lastly, if I may throw this idea your way. Your predecessor had a list of questions he was working on, and would start the session with updates whenever he had heard back from the various teams working on the answers. Could you please do likewise?

Many times the folks who have asked you to look into finding the answer, will have to remind you, or bring it up again. We all know, it can take time to get to the bottom of some of the issues, so this is just a suggestion, thanks.

Hi @amcdc79 - this is a great question! I used to do this and after some, shall we say, aggressive feedback about the speed of how things updated on the list I discontinued it as it ended up causing more frustration than help.

Because my time with the Community Boards here is limited (5 hours weekly) I am limited in what I can do. If that adjusts and I have more time allocated to spend here I will definitely consider it!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining this week everyone! I'll be on the boards on Friday and get to mentions and messages!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 8
latest reply