May 16th 2018 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hey howdy hey -

I am back and ready to get to your questions. Hoping you had a good week and looking forward to chatting with you soon!

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Good evening, Tyler. I only wish I could remember on Tuesday night what I thought was so important to raise on Saturday. Oh wait. I remember now. I was invited to an eBay Bucks Offer 8x earnings that expired the night before the message was delivered to me. Which is normal for my account, all my messages from eBay (not other users but eBay Canada itself) seem to be delivered days later than others receive them or days after they take effect. What’s the deal with that? I’d have used the 8x eBay Bucks Offer, to get it only after it’s expired is just a kick to the seat of the pants.

Thanks,
Maureen
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Hello Tyler,

I received the bonus 8X ebay bucks on May 11 in my ebay messages - never got an email for it - for purchasing on ebay May 8-10.

On May 8 I purchased item #

On May 10 I purchased item #

On May 11 I called ebay - on hold for 45 minutes - spoke to Josephine -  first she said too bad, so sad ( or something similar) then she said it was sent to me on May 8th and I didn't activate it - after I told her it could be clearly seen in my ebay messages as arriving May 11, she said she would speak to a supervisor and call me back - sigh.

She called back - said I was approved for the 8x bonus ebay bucks for my 2 purchases and it should be there now - checked it and nothing but the regular bucks - then she said it would be there in 24 hours - nope, nothing.

Tyler, I'm not talking about a lot of money here - just a few dollars - it's the principle of the thing.  Is there anything you can do so that I don't have to call again?  Such a hassle.
Thank you,
Judith

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Given the post above, I can see this problem with the 8x eBay Bucks Offer was not isolated to me alone.
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

G'morning Tyler, 

Has there been any thoughts to revising the current customer return request(NAD) to add more options? I don't have a view of one at the moment but as I recall it appears choose a, b, or c when g applies. Another possibility would be Other or a place for the seller to select their own choice when the 2 parties are not in agreement.

Thanks,

CM

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Hi Tyler, 

Since you're here today, I thought I'd mention this scary experience I've just had while it's fresh in my mind.  I believe I also mentioned this a couple of weeks ago.  

A few moments ago, while doing an ordinary eBay search, using my alternate ID, my cursor happened to stray slightly off to the right of the screen, and suddenly an entirely different screen jumped out, superimposed over the eBay page, and took over.   I couldn't get back to the eBay screen (although I could see "bits" of it around the edges), nor could I close it off with the "X" at the top right of the screen.  I tried several times, to no avail.  I took a screen shot, but unfortunately that was lost because my only recourse was to use CTRL-ALT-DEL to regain control over my laptop and sign off entirely.  

So although I don't have the screen shot to show you, I can recall enough detail to hopefully be of some use.  The intruding screen had the "Microsoft" blue background, with what looked like some of the common MS app icons at the bottom in large size.  Everything was bouncing around and my cursor was useless.  In the middle of the screen was a fairly large white dialogue box telling me to call a phone number (855-703-2197) immediately, and admonishing me that if I didn't, all sorts of nefarious things would happen to my computer, including stolen personal information.   I assume that "dialogue box" was completely bogus, although unlike most fraudulent emails, etc., the language was colloquial English, with none of the tell-tale grammatical or spelling errors that often give away offshore hackers.  

As I said, this is not the first time this has happened to me while I've been minding my own business, simply scrolling through an eBay search results page.  This is extremely worrying, and I would ask you to pass this along and let us know if there has been an intrusion into eBay.  It has, by the way, only occurred both times while I was on eBay.   Sadly, the only bit of information I was able to capture before I had to get out of that little nightmare was the phone number noted above.  Perhaps someone at eBay should try checking that number out and determining who it belongs to?  I don't dare do it myself. 

I'd appreciate a PM or -- if you feel we should all be aware -- an update on any investigation eBay can do into this.  I can imagine buyers confronted with this kind of thing would quickly flee and be afraid to return!  I know that's how I felt.   It was frightening. 

BTW, I have the full suite of McAfee internet and virus protection, and none of this has been reflected in any of their reports on my own PC's operation.   

What's going on?  Please help! 

P.S. If this happens again (as I'm almost certain it will), I'll try to take a picture of the screen with my camera and/or write down the contents of the bogus dialogue box.  Although it had the appearance of the usual warning dialogue boxes from Microsoft, the text certainly didn't sound like anything Microsoft would publish. 

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

amcdc79
Community Member

Hello Tyler,

Nice to see you, and I thank ebay for whatever promos they send my way. The 15% off was cool, and the 20% off of FVF's seems to actually stimulate my sales.

My question while not as serious as Rose's MAJOR glitch, the one I encounter has some of my items showing "free shipping", on my eBay page view, when there is a charge for shipping. When I click on the listing, it does show the proper shipping cost, but just looking at it, it shows "free shipping" just like the ones I sell that actually have free shipping.

If I knew how to take a screen shot of it I would. As long as there is a shipping cost shown when the buyer clicks on the listing, I don't really care. But if it upsets them so much they won't buy, so another lost sale.

Over the years, I have had more than one buyers pay for an item and not pay for shipping, due to a glitch such as this. Now you are aware of this issue, please fix. Tia.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

I have noted a variation of this after I have accepted a best offer. Either for 1 unit or several units of the same item. When I go send the adjusted invoice it is either defaulting to Pickup(wasn't an option), letter rate(which was never originally offered due to item size) or removing the original options for postage and then have to confirm rates to send the correct invoice. Unfortunately pickup more than likely would not be an option for most customers when they were in PR and I am in Alberta. Is this a new glitch or a variation of the older postage glitches? I'm worried customers are getting in-accurate invoices and I am going to be unable to recover postage if they pay too quickly.

-CM

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:
Good evening, Tyler. I only wish I could remember on Tuesday night what I thought was so important to raise on Saturday. Oh wait. I remember now. I was invited to an eBay Bucks Offer 8x earnings that expired the night before the message was delivered to me. Which is normal for my account, all my messages from eBay (not other users but eBay Canada itself) seem to be delivered days later than others receive them or days after they take effect. What’s the deal with that? I’d have used the 8x eBay Bucks Offer, to get it only after it’s expired is just a kick to the seat of the pants.

Thanks,
Maureen

Hi @momcqueen - that's never fun. I'm still playing catch up from my time off last week, but I do know that there was an issue with email notifications that should have been corrected going forward.

Tagging @lucitabby too because it sounds as though there were similar issues. I'll take a look and see what I can find out and reach out to you with updates. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

G'morning Tyler, 

Has there been any thoughts to revising the current customer return request(NAD) to add more options? I don't have a view of one at the moment but as I recall it appears choose a, b, or c when g applies. Another possibility would be Other or a place for the seller to select their own choice when the 2 parties are not in agreement.

Thanks,

CM

I think you have an interesting idea there. The goal with changes to the returns process is to simplify things as much as possible. As part of that, the reduction in return reason codes was made to streamline the process from both perspectives (both seller and buyer). So while the specific reason for the buyer's return may not be available from the drop down ('The size I got was too small') the more core reason should be ('Wrong size/doesn't fit').

I'm intrigued about your suggestion to add an 'other' field. Would this be for a buyer opening a return or for you as a seller when you respond to one? Can you PM me a bit about why this would be helpful for you? I'm open to pitching the idea, but want to get a better grasp on what you're thinking. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Today, on each screen of ebay.ca there is a red box at the top which states Buy Canadian - GREAT.

If you click on it you get a screen with ads and on the left it states "Buy Canadian" under which it states "Categories" -  click on Antiques, then Antique Linens, then Antique Handkerchiefs you get 560 listings of items from around the world mostly USA & China.

There are only 10 from Canadian sellers in that 560.

My question is,  Why advertise Buy Canadian and show all listings .  Not great!

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

And when you click the Buy Canadian box on the front page of the iPhone app, you get only the standard Page Not Responding.
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Hi Tyler, 

Since you're here today, I thought I'd mention this scary experience I've just had while it's fresh in my mind.  I believe I also mentioned this a couple of weeks ago.  

A few moments ago, while doing an ordinary eBay search, using my alternate ID, my cursor happened to stray slightly off to the right of the screen, and suddenly an entirely different screen jumped out, superimposed over the eBay page, and took over.   I couldn't get back to the eBay screen (although I could see "bits" of it around the edges), nor could I close it off with the "X" at the top right of the screen.  I tried several times, to no avail.  I took a screen shot, but unfortunately that was lost because my only recourse was to use CTRL-ALT-DEL to regain control over my laptop and sign off entirely.  

So although I don't have the screen shot to show you, I can recall enough detail to hopefully be of some use.  The intruding screen had the "Microsoft" blue background, with what looked like some of the common MS app icons at the bottom in large size.  Everything was bouncing around and my cursor was useless.  In the middle of the screen was a fairly large white dialogue box telling me to call a phone number (855-703-2197) immediately, and admonishing me that if I didn't, all sorts of nefarious things would happen to my computer, including stolen personal information.   I assume that "dialogue box" was completely bogus, although unlike most fraudulent emails, etc., the language was colloquial English, with none of the tell-tale grammatical or spelling errors that often give away offshore hackers.  

As I said, this is not the first time this has happened to me while I've been minding my own business, simply scrolling through an eBay search results page.  This is extremely worrying, and I would ask you to pass this along and let us know if there has been an intrusion into eBay.  It has, by the way, only occurred both times while I was on eBay.   Sadly, the only bit of information I was able to capture before I had to get out of that little nightmare was the phone number noted above.  Perhaps someone at eBay should try checking that number out and determining who it belongs to?  I don't dare do it myself. 

I'd appreciate a PM or -- if you feel we should all be aware -- an update on any investigation eBay can do into this.  I can imagine buyers confronted with this kind of thing would quickly flee and be afraid to return!  I know that's how I felt.   It was frightening. 

BTW, I have the full suite of McAfee internet and virus protection, and none of this has been reflected in any of their reports on my own PC's operation.   

What's going on?  Please help! 

P.S. If this happens again (as I'm almost certain it will), I'll try to take a picture of the screen with my camera and/or write down the contents of the bogus dialogue box.  Although it had the appearance of the usual warning dialogue boxes from Microsoft, the text certainly didn't sound like anything Microsoft would publish. 

Hi @rose-dee - that sounds really alarming, and I'd be interested to know what search you were doing when that occurred (both times if you happen to remember). You can always PM me with those details.

I'm not a tech by any means, but it sounds as though there's something that could be machine or browser specific. Would you try from more than one browser and let me know if you see the same thing happen?

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for all your participation today. 🙂

I got pulled into several meetings today that meant you've had to wait a bit of time before I can get to you, but I will have updates for you by the end of the day.

Thanks again, and join us next week!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@amcdc79 wrote:

Hello Tyler,

Nice to see you, and I thank ebay for whatever promos they send my way. The 15% off was cool, and the 20% off of FVF's seems to actually stimulate my sales.

My question while not as serious as Rose's MAJOR glitch, the one I encounter has some of my items showing "free shipping", on my eBay page view, when there is a charge for shipping. When I click on the listing, it does show the proper shipping cost, but just looking at it, it shows "free shipping" just like the ones I sell that actually have free shipping.

If I knew how to take a screen shot of it I would. As long as there is a shipping cost shown when the buyer clicks on the listing, I don't really care. But if it upsets them so much they won't buy, so another lost sale.

Over the years, I have had more than one buyers pay for an item and not pay for shipping, due to a glitch such as this. Now you are aware of this issue, please fix. Tia.

Hi @amcdc79 - thanks for letting me know. There's been a few similar reports lately. I'll work to get your details added to them and hopefully we'll see it corrected quickly.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 17
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

I have noted a variation of this after I have accepted a best offer. Either for 1 unit or several units of the same item. When I go send the adjusted invoice it is either defaulting to Pickup(wasn't an option), letter rate(which was never originally offered due to item size) or removing the original options for postage and then have to confirm rates to send the correct invoice. Unfortunately pickup more than likely would not be an option for most customers when they were in PR and I am in Alberta. Is this a new glitch or a variation of the older postage glitches? I'm worried customers are getting in-accurate invoices and I am going to be unable to recover postage if they pay too quickly.

-CM

Hmmmm....that's not something I've seen many other reports of @lotzofuniquegoodies. There's a thread from last week that points out something similar happening, though it's not the exact same thing. I'll see what I can find.

If you happen to have that situation occur again would you be able to DM me and get me specifics like item numbers/buyer id so I can get it investigated? Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 17
latest reply

@lucitabby wrote:

Today, on each screen of ebay.ca there is a red box at the top which states Buy Canadian - GREAT.

If you click on it you get a screen with ads and on the left it states "Buy Canadian" under which it states "Categories" -  click on Antiques, then Antique Linens, then Antique Handkerchiefs you get 560 listings of items from around the world mostly USA & China.

There are only 10 from Canadian sellers in that 560.

My question is,  Why advertise Buy Canadian and show all listings .  Not great!

Hi @lucitabby - great call out. I'm not sure why that particular pathway isn't sorting to display Canada Only items, but I've gotten it reported.

When I try other categories they appear to be working like you'd expect: showing items located in Canada only.

Thanks @momcqueen for letting me know about the mobile issue too!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 17 of 17
latest reply