November 1st 2017 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Howdy everyone -

Opening the chat up for any questions you may have.

I'm running a bit behind on private messages lately too - sorry if I haven't responded, I promise I'll get to you!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Hi Tyler, I’ve been deleting a line in my listing descriptions “Please email me f you have any questions” since I read that we shouldn’t have outside contact with our buyers. Not sure if this sentence wiould have triggered any problems or not. I never have any outside contact, my buyers always contact me through eBay messages. Wondering if I should re-phrase to say something like “Please use Contact Seller if you have any questions” or should I just leave it out completely?

On a side note, after many years, I actually had to cancel one of my stores, sales have dropped to a point where it was going to start costing me money. Hopefully, things will pick up and I can reopen it some day.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

I have noticed a problem with trying to use promotional codes or redeeming eBay Bucks on eBay.ca.  It will not accept them on the Canadian site.  Always comes up with a notice that the code is invalid. This even happens when trying to pay some US sellers.  I have found the only way around it, is to go to eBay.com. The US site seems to accept the codes. But we shouldn't have to do this. We should be able to use promotional codes & redeem our eBay Bucks on the Canadian site. Please could you look into this. Thanks

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

At the end of each listing, potential buyers have the option to .

Ask a question

There is no problem for someone to ask a question....

Sellers must answer the question and not provide unacceptable links in the answer to the question.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Hi, can you tell us why sometimes we see a button "See full item description" in an item listing instead of the full description. It seems to be an on and off problem. Sometimes I see it, sometimes I don't - and always on eBay.com

There are no links in the description, no photos, no active content. Everything is plain text and I still see that button instead of the real description. Why?

Thread I opened on the problem as well as a screen shot:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/EBay-hiding-description/m-p/386985/highlight/false#M8539...

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

At the end of each listing, potential buyers have the option to .

Ask a question

There is no problem for someone to ask a question....

Sellers must answer the question and not provide unacceptable links in the answer to the question.

Yes, on dot CA there is Ask a question. On dot COM contact seller is hidden in the top corner under seller information and the ask a question is at the bottom of the listing but is only for general questions about the product, and you can't answer the person asking the question. Buyers are being very confused by this, they expect an answer back and can't get one, so they give up.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Yes you can.

One of the options is "My question is not here". Click on that and you can use your own words to ask and the seller can use his own to answer.

And the question and answer can, if the seller wants, be posted to the listing.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

amcdc79
Community Member

Howdy Tyler,

I have a question regarding second categories.

A few years ago ebay took down my Dreamcast Banner listing, because they said it was in the wrong category(video games). I put it in the video games merchandise section, where it's been ever since. Sales have slowed on it lately, (mind you, a fine poster on the forums, crossed their toes for me, and two sold a day apart)

When I try to add a second category to put it into the video games section #139973, I'm told that "The second category you selected conflicts with your main category. Try choosing a different second category."

I realize that my first choice must be in the "Merchandise" section, but why can I not pay to list it in the games area?

Please advise, and tia.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

By the way, concerning my previous post, this is not a browser issue. This is a site issue. At home, I have the latest Firefox version and I see this message on many items (including some of mine from time to time).

I'm currently at work on an old Explorer, and I still see that message. Example: item 322759057870 (not mine).

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

By the way, concerning my previous post, this is not a browser issue. This is a site issue. At home, I have the latest Firefox version and I see this message on many items (including some of mine from time to time).

I'm currently at work on an old Explorer, and I still see that message. Example: item 322759057870 (not mine).

If you see it on others, it is because they have not fixed their listings, HTTP instead of https, images in description not on a secure host and many other things. 

There are still a lot of sellers that do not care and refuse to do all the work to fix them for nothing.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

At least this problem can be fixed in bulk. (changing HTTP to HTTPS)

still haven't figured out how to fix the active content without doing it one at a time.someone sent me an email to help with this last week but I couldn't figure it out.Anybody figured it out?

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@msmaggie060 wrote:

Hi Tyler, I’ve been deleting a line in my listing descriptions “Please email me f you have any questions” since I read that we shouldn’t have outside contact with our buyers. Not sure if this sentence wiould have triggered any problems or not. I never have any outside contact, my buyers always contact me through eBay messages. Wondering if I should re-phrase to say something like “Please use Contact Seller if you have any questions” or should I just leave it out completely?

On a side note, after many years, I actually had to cancel one of my stores, sales have dropped to a point where it was going to start costing me money. Hopefully, things will pick up and I can reopen it some day.

Hi @msmaggie060 - good question! I really like the clarification of 'use Contact Seller' in your listings versus 'email me'. Personally I don't think that it would trigger any problems for you, but I'm a fan of being as specific as possible to avoid any potential trouble.

Fingers crossed for your sales to pick up soon! 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

Hi, can you tell us why sometimes we see a button "See full item description" in an item listing instead of the full description. It seems to be an on and off problem. Sometimes I see it, sometimes I don't - and always on eBay.com

There are no links in the description, no photos, no active content. Everything is plain text and I still see that button instead of the real description. Why?

Thread I opened on the problem as well as a screen shot:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/EBay-hiding-description/m-p/386985/highlight/false#M8539...

Hi @lady.stark - @dutchman48 is correct that the reason you're seeing this is due to updated Google Chrome requirements (details here:http://ebay.to/2yLSnap). Thanks for the link - I'll hop over and clarify there too. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@amcdc79 wrote:

Howdy Tyler,

I have a question regarding second categories.

A few years ago ebay took down my Dreamcast Banner listing, because they said it was in the wrong category(video games). I put it in the video games merchandise section, where it's been ever since. Sales have slowed on it lately, (mind you, a fine poster on the forums, crossed their toes for me, and two sold a day apart)

When I try to add a second category to put it into the video games section #139973, I'm told that "The second category you selected conflicts with your main category. Try choosing a different second category."

I realize that my first choice must be in the "Merchandise" section, but why can I not pay to list it in the games area?

Please advise, and tia.

Dreamcast takes me back! I remember being infernally jealous of my buddy who had one when I was little. The banner looks great! Ultimately the reason we disallow you from using the Video Games category is that what you have for sale isn't a video game. It's merchandise associated with video games to be certain, but not a game itself. That's why you're running into the block, to prevent possible misunderstanding with potential buyers.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@dustmite007 wrote:

I have noticed a problem with trying to use promotional codes or redeeming eBay Bucks on eBay.ca.  It will not accept them on the Canadian site.  Always comes up with a notice that the code is invalid. This even happens when trying to pay some US sellers.  I have found the only way around it, is to go to eBay.com. The US site seems to accept the codes. But we shouldn't have to do this. We should be able to use promotional codes & redeem our eBay Bucks on the Canadian site. Please could you look into this. Thanks

Hi @2nd-time-around-jewelry - that's really unusual, as you should be able to redeem them on .com or .ca or .cafr without issue (as long as the seller offers PayPal). I've been combing through the Ts&Cs (http://pages.ebay.ca/ebay-bucks/index.html#m17-tb3) and can't find a reason why you'd be given an error. Will you send me a screenshot of the errors you're running into so I can get it sent to the right people? Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 16
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining today - see you next week!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 16
latest reply