November 8th 2017 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone -

Opening up the chat, looking forward to talking with you tomorrow!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Hi Tyler. I have two issues but one I will send to you via PM.

The other is the 125+ items showing as Unsold in my listings tally that are, in fact, relisted and were immediately relisted as part of an automation rule.

This glitch doesn't affect all ended auctions but it does at least one of every two. It's not particular to item either as a five-day auction will show as relisted normally the next time. This has been ongoing for months, only recently did I decide to keep those Unsold-and-showing-Not-Relisted-but-actually-immediately-Relisted listings in my Unsold folder so that someone can look at it.

I keep a very close eye on my number of active listings but it would be easy for a seller to duplicate listings as a result of this ebay glitch and land themselves in hot water because of it. Can you look into this please? Or report it to the appropriate party for a fix.

Thanks,

Maureen 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

HI, I just received an email that says Immediate action required. Remove policy and/or security violations from your listings.

There were 10 of these on the Canadian site and 10 on the US one.  View listings with HTTP content/links. I fixed the 10 on the CDN site all at the same time with no problem. It doesn't work on the US site.I've tried more than 10 times

I still haven't figured out how to fix active content problems in bulk. I have way to many listings to do them one at a time

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Good morning Tyler!  I have 4 issues that I've been very worried about and I hope you can clarify.  Please check my item #: 162742507325 as a listing example. 

1)  Yesterday, when I attempted to relist this item (and another similar one), I found I couldn't because the eBay SYI form was telling me I hadn't uploaded any photos.  Yet there they were on the SYI form.  When I looked at the listing "preview", sure enough, the gallery was blank, the main photo section with a message saying: "No photos have been uploaded to this listing" or something to that effect.  What on earth is causing this?  Do you know? 

I decided to give up trying to relist the item from within eBay and uploaded the listing again from Auctiva -- this is the listing you see now, but it's virtually identical to the previous version.  Can you see all 12 gallery photos?  Can you see all 12 photos that are within the "Description" section?  

2)  Possibly related to the above (or maybe a completely separate problem??), a few days ago I had a friend look at a few of my listings on her Iphone (I don't have one), and on all of them the photos in my description section had vanished.  Also, the description section itself wasn't viewable on the main listing page -- a link "See Full Description" opened it, but the photos weren't visible.  These listings were uploaded from Auctiva.  Do you know why this would be happening?  

3)  Perhaps related to the above (I have no idea) is the mess around "http/https".  I have no idea what to do about this issue at this point.  The "I-ways" tool I tried to use was completely inconsistent.  Based on the first list it brought up I attempted to "search and replace" http, yet after apparently cleaning up the problem listings, on running the I-ways tool again, some of these, as well as other listings that weren't originally flagged were now flagged.  

Honestly, my understanding of all things digital is practical, not technical.  I'm now really at a total loss, and I fear much of my listing information isn't even being made visible.  Can you help, perhaps with a step-by-step explanation of what to do to remove/replace the offending text?  

4)  Unrelated to any of the above, I'm very concerned about what the new, paranoid bot will think of my listings where I ask customers to contact me if they have questions, need further size or colour information, or want to request combined shipping.  I used to state that customers should use the "Request Total" feature for the latter, but as you probably know, that is now a completely unreliable wreck, so I don't dare say that either. 

Also as I'm sure you know, eBay has made it very convoluted and not exactly plainly visible, for buyers to simply ask the seller a question.  Now that feature is hidden way down at the bottom of the listing page, in a corner, in small print.  If the buyer does manage to find it, they have to search through a bunch of usually useless FAQ answers before finally locating the button that allows them to actually contact the seller.  Personally I thought this was one of the worst things eBay ever did.  If eBay is going to outlaw language in listings that invite prospective buyers to get in touch with sellers, then I think they should put that "Ask Seller a Question" button back, right up front in every listing, in big bold letters, outlined in red. 

I'm at a loss here too, as I don't know precisely what language is now permitted and what isn't.  The "announcement" around this was extremely vague.  Can you clarify please? 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Hello Tyler: Could you please provide me (us) with some information on drafts, specifically the total amount of drafts we can have saved and also the total amount of time they can be stored. I subscribe to Selling Manager (not Pro) I went to complete my saved drafts last night and several of them could not be listed. The first message that came up was that "The item is not accessible" I left these items to the end and tried again today, and now I just get a message that "There is a problem. Try again Later" All of the ones with problems were created from Oct. 9 to Oct. 12 and were complete except for photos. A lot of time went into creating the listings and making the photos. It's very frustrating when Poof they are gone. I suspect (but don't know) it has something to do with the time they were stored, however I have a couple basic drafts that I used to use and make multiple copies and then fill in the blanks (I can't do that anymore 😞 ) that were created in September and I did a test on one of them and they worked fine. The drafts with the problems look fine on my drafts page but when I go to complete them I get the Error message and cannot work on them. I have also had a similar problem with missing photos on items when I go to relist them. Everything looks OK on the Unsold Items page, but when I go to relist them I am told there are no photos, even though the main photo shows on the Unsold Item page. Again with this issue I suspect it might have something to do with the time that the item has been stored. I cannot remember exactly but I think it is usually on the items getting close to the storage time limit which I think is 90 days. If that is the case, I can live with that but I wish the item listings would be deleted from my Unsold Items list before or at the same time as the photos are deleted from the server. Both of these issues have caused me a lot of wasted time, as I decide what to list based on what is shown to me and then round up the items and get things organized. Then when I go to do the listing I cannot complete it. I'd really appreciate it if you could post some hard and fast rules, so I would know for sure what is going on and try to avoid the same issues in the future. Thanks
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Sorry about the lack of  formatting on the above post. I guess copy and paste doesn't work

I tried to edit it but got timed out

I can't delete it so I hope you can work your way through if not let me know a

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Hi Tyler. I have two issues but one I will send to you via PM.

The other is the 125+ items showing as Unsold in my listings tally that are, in fact, relisted and were immediately relisted as part of an automation rule.

This glitch doesn't affect all ended auctions but it does at least one of every two. It's not particular to item either as a five-day auction will show as relisted normally the next time. This has been ongoing for months, only recently did I decide to keep those Unsold-and-showing-Not-Relisted-but-actually-immediately-Relisted listings in my Unsold folder so that someone can look at it.

I keep a very close eye on my number of active listings but it would be easy for a seller to duplicate listings as a result of this ebay glitch and land themselves in hot water because of it. Can you look into this please? Or report it to the appropriate party for a fix.

Thanks,

Maureen 

Hi Maureen!

Firstly, looking forward to your PM.

Secondly - I'll definitely take a look at this and respond in the PM reply. As you know, listings shouldn't be displaying as 'not relisted' if they've been relisted (manually, due to an automation rule, or otherwise). Thanks for saving them for me to review and report, and for bringing it to my attention. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@bunbar wrote:

HI, I just received an email that says Immediate action required. Remove policy and/or security violations from your listings.

There were 10 of these on the Canadian site and 10 on the US one.  View listings with HTTP content/links. I fixed the 10 on the CDN site all at the same time with no problem. It doesn't work on the US site.I've tried more than 10 times

I still haven't figured out how to fix active content problems in bulk. I have way to many listings to do them one at a time

Hi @bunbar - I'm not sure exactly what you're letting me know about here: is it that the link in the email didn't work? Or that you're having to correct the active content issues on .com individually?

Because the code, links or content that is causing the issue can be different in all listings, there isn't always going to be a way to correct it in bulk. You should have the ability on .com or .ca to check which listings we're seeing as non-compliant, and get information about the links within them that are causing the disruption.

If you use Selling Manager/Pro in the Summary page there should be a link that says "Remove HTTP content from your listings" in the "Improve your listings, sell more" section.

If you use the older All Selling layout the "Selling Reminders" section should have a link that says "Remove HTTP content from your listings".

In either of these situations you should be able to click the link and get details about which listings we are finding as non-compliant and getting the exact links that we're seeing that need to be changed. While that doesn't necessarily do it for you, it should drastically cut down the amount of work that goes into correcting it. Best of luck!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Good morning Tyler!  I have 4 issues that I've been very worried about and I hope you can clarify.  Please check my item #: 162742507325 as a listing example. 

1)  Yesterday, when I attempted to relist this item (and another similar one), I found I couldn't because the eBay SYI form was telling me I hadn't uploaded any photos.  Yet there they were on the SYI form.  When I looked at the listing "preview", sure enough, the gallery was blank, the main photo section with a message saying: "No photos have been uploaded to this listing" or something to that effect.  What on earth is causing this?  Do you know? 

I decided to give up trying to relist the item from within eBay and uploaded the listing again from Auctiva -- this is the listing you see now, but it's virtually identical to the previous version.  Can you see all 12 gallery photos?  Can you see all 12 photos that are within the "Description" section?  

2)  Possibly related to the above (or maybe a completely separate problem??), a few days ago I had a friend look at a few of my listings on her Iphone (I don't have one), and on all of them the photos in my description section had vanished.  Also, the description section itself wasn't viewable on the main listing page -- a link "See Full Description" opened it, but the photos weren't visible.  These listings were uploaded from Auctiva.  Do you know why this would be happening?  

3)  Perhaps related to the above (I have no idea) is the mess around "http/https".  I have no idea what to do about this issue at this point.  The "I-ways" tool I tried to use was completely inconsistent.  Based on the first list it brought up I attempted to "search and replace" http, yet after apparently cleaning up the problem listings, on running the I-ways tool again, some of these, as well as other listings that weren't originally flagged were now flagged.  

Honestly, my understanding of all things digital is practical, not technical.  I'm now really at a total loss, and I fear much of my listing information isn't even being made visible.  Can you help, perhaps with a step-by-step explanation of what to do to remove/replace the offending text?  

4)  Unrelated to any of the above, I'm very concerned about what the new, paranoid bot will think of my listings where I ask customers to contact me if they have questions, need further size or colour information, or want to request combined shipping.  I used to state that customers should use the "Request Total" feature for the latter, but as you probably know, that is now a completely unreliable wreck, so I don't dare say that either. 

Also as I'm sure you know, eBay has made it very convoluted and not exactly plainly visible, for buyers to simply ask the seller a question.  Now that feature is hidden way down at the bottom of the listing page, in a corner, in small print.  If the buyer does manage to find it, they have to search through a bunch of usually useless FAQ answers before finally locating the button that allows them to actually contact the seller.  Personally I thought this was one of the worst things eBay ever did.  If eBay is going to outlaw language in listings that invite prospective buyers to get in touch with sellers, then I think they should put that "Ask Seller a Question" button back, right up front in every listing, in big bold letters, outlined in red. 

I'm at a loss here too, as I don't know precisely what language is now permitted and what isn't.  The "announcement" around this was extremely vague.  Can you clarify please? 

Hi Rose-dee -

Going to address your questions by number for clarity:

1. Are you using self-hosted images or uploading images directly from your PC or mobile device? If you're using an image hosting service there is a possibility that the links you're using in SYI are older or considered non-compliant and potentially not registering as photos at all. Auctiva has worked hard to make sure that any images are compliant, so they may be correcting it on your behalf automatically. If you'll PM me a screenshot of the error on SYI I'll see if I can do more digging on this. 🙂

2. Hmm...what you've described is related to our solution to Google's HTTP/HTTPS conversion. The reason your friend is seeing a 'See Full Description' link is because there is HTTP data in the description itself. From what you've described it sounds like the image files themselves may be HTTP instead of HTTPS and causing the issue.

While this is frustrating, once corrected it should display as you would expect it to.

3. I-ways is one tool that you can use, but the one we recommend is the 'listing improvements' link within Selling Manager/Pro, All Selling and Seller Hub. That should quickly identify which of your listings have HTTP content, and can even drill down and provide you the link(s) that we're seeing as non-compliant.

More information related to the change is here. Particularly useful is the 'How to secure your listings' section which should give you a breakdown of things to look for, and how to replace them. Most of the time it's a simple fix to change the links from the term HTTP to HTTPS.

4. Advising a buyer to ask questions if they have any, or to message you if they have questions is not inappropriate, nor should it flag your listings for review. I appreciate your feedback on the Ask a Question button and will share it with the right teams. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@around_again_records wrote:
Hello Tyler: Could you please provide me (us) with some information on drafts, specifically the total amount of drafts we can have saved and also the total amount of time they can be stored. I subscribe to Selling Manager (not Pro) I went to complete my saved drafts last night and several of them could not be listed. The first message that came up was that "The item is not accessible" I left these items to the end and tried again today, and now I just get a message that "There is a problem. Try again Later" All of the ones with problems were created from Oct. 9 to Oct. 12 and were complete except for photos. A lot of time went into creating the listings and making the photos. It's very frustrating when Poof they are gone. I suspect (but don't know) it has something to do with the time they were stored, however I have a couple basic drafts that I used to use and make multiple copies and then fill in the blanks (I can't do that anymore 😞 ) that were created in September and I did a test on one of them and they worked fine. The drafts with the problems look fine on my drafts page but when I go to complete them I get the Error message and cannot work on them. I have also had a similar problem with missing photos on items when I go to relist them. Everything looks OK on the Unsold Items page, but when I go to relist them I am told there are no photos, even though the main photo shows on the Unsold Item page. Again with this issue I suspect it might have something to do with the time that the item has been stored. I cannot remember exactly but I think it is usually on the items getting close to the storage time limit which I think is 90 days. If that is the case, I can live with that but I wish the item listings would be deleted from my Unsold Items list before or at the same time as the photos are deleted from the server. Both of these issues have caused me a lot of wasted time, as I decide what to list based on what is shown to me and then round up the items and get things organized. Then when I go to do the listing I cannot complete it. I'd really appreciate it if you could post some hard and fast rules, so I would know for sure what is going on and try to avoid the same issues in the future. Thanks

Hi @around_again_records - sorry to hear you ran into this! There's a known issue that has impacted several members with the exact error around drafts. That's why you were having these particular issues with the 'Try again later' error. I'll get you added to the open ticket, and hopefully this won't be an issue going forward.

When it comes to the exact number of draft listing you can have it depends on which listing tool you have. If you open the 'Sell your Item' form we'll display the last 7 draft listings you have that are less than 30 days old. If you use Selling Manager or Seller Hub you should be shown all draft listings you have less than 30 days old (no limit).

A draft remains for as many as 30 days from the last time you edited it, after which it expires and you cannot access it any longer. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining, the chat is closed.

See you next week! 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 11