Second chance offer

nimofour
Community Member

I received a 'second chance' offer 30 seconds after the auction closed!  This smells like fraud to me. I wanted to contact E-bay about this but they seem oblivious to receiving complaints unless they pre-define it. That is frustrating to me.  E-bay with all the hype about customer service shoud publish an email address and have a team read and respnd to them.. especially if it concerns fraudulent activity, you think?  Here is the second chance offer I received almost immediately after the auction closed!  "

Lucky you, (Blanked Out)! The seller has offered you a second chance to buy this item. The second time can be a charm.  (Item description removed) Expiration Time:23-May-11 21:18:33 EDT Message from seller:Seller:pinkhaloangel (6281)99.7% Positive FeedbackMember since 28-Feb-02 in United States

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Second chance offer

The seller probably has more than one of the same item so rather than running another auction, they are offering it to another bidder. In that situation, there is nothing fraudulent going on.

But keep in mind that taking a second chance offer would mean that you are not going to get the exact coin pictured since it has been sold to the highest bidder. That isn't a problem with new items but it could be a problem in this case since you wouldn't know the condition of the coin that you are receiving. Although the seller doesn't have a ton of negative feedbacks, most of the ones that I looked at were because the buyer felt the item sent out was not the same as the one described in the listing.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Second chance offer

That is one big flaw with the Second Chance Offer when selling used items.  I had the same issue with wanting to send a SCO but the condition of the second item was not as good as the original.

I wanted to send the SCO with revised pictures in the listing and could not. I wanted to contact the second bidder to send a message that it was different and could not. Very annoying. I understand that eBay wants to block a seller from contacting the remaining bidders on the listing and sell directly to avoid ebay fees. But it does lead to misunderstandings.

Is there a solution to this issue with SCO? I could not find a way.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Second chance offer

no way around it that I'm aware of. Its meant to be used for identical items.  Different condition...different listing I guess.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Second chance offer

Anonymous
Not applicable

I usually offer second chance when I have more than 1 photo that I had printed from the original transparency, negative or slide, all same information, conditions, etc.  There is no fraud in that.  I normally don't offer the second chance if the item condition is different, only the same ones in everything.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Second chance offer

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just yesterday I offered the second chance offers to 10 buyers and sold all of them for way high prices than I would have if I have to relist them when I have some extras.  It seems by offering the second chance offers are ideal especially when there are bidding wars and I sold it for $102.00 and I offered the second chance offer for $101.00 and sold it.  Same with other item sold for $35.00 and $34.00, other with $55.00 and $54.00, awesome.  The starting price was $5.00 each!!

It is ideal for the items that have the same information, same conditions, etc.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Second chance offer

@pocomocomputing wrote:

I wanted to send the SCO with revised pictures in the listing and could not. I wanted to contact the second bidder to send a message that it was different and could not. Is there a solution to this issue with SCO? I could not find a way.

Yes, there is a way. Last time I sent one, it was possible to write a message with the offer. You can write the description there.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Second chance offer

@lady.stark wrote:

@pocomocomputing wrote:

I wanted to send the SCO with revised pictures in the listing and could not. I wanted to contact the second bidder to send a message that it was different and could not. Is there a solution to this issue with SCO? I could not find a way.

Yes, there is a way. Last time I sent one, it was possible to write a message with the offer. You can write the description there.

honeybed1950 opened up a old topic from 2011.  My reply back in 2011 was accurate. No message allowed back then as I recall.

Today SCO allows more communication with a buyer.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Second chance offer

@pocomocomputing wrote:
honeybed1950 opened up a old topic from 2011.  My reply back in 2011 was accurate. No message allowed back then as I recall.

OMG!! LOL! Didn't realise that, sorry!!

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Second chance offer

@lady.stark wrote:

@pocomocomputing wrote:

OMG!! LOL! Didn't realise that, sorry!!

No problem.

When these new forums were introduced, many forum members did not know how to set up their preferences for viewing topics and many old topics were showing first it seems so some replies were given to the old topics. It is still happening to some old topics but less now.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply