Shipping

sofblend
Community Member

It may be obvious to many sellers that all shipments to a successful buyer should be trackable or traceable.

I recently sold an item to Vietnam and the cost of trackable airmail was very expensive so the buyer asked me to ship the item by regular (surface) mail which was considerably cheaper, but with a delivery time in excess of 6 weeks.

After only 4 weeks, the buyer has opened up a 'non-delivery' dispute with Paypal.

I am certainly not questioning the buyers integrity, but I suddenly realised that I have no way of substantiating if and when the item is delivered.

In future I will refuse all requests for shipping items via an untraceable service.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Shipping

NEVER NEVER NEVER ship surface mail overseas.  Tracking is not necessary for most items but you need to ship airmail.  Don't worry, we've all done it and learned quickly.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Because Canadian shipping rates are so high, I always offer the option of with or without confirmation and the different methods of shipping, to international customers.

I've shipped over 20 items like that, and they've ALL received their items.  They understand that I will not do it, unless they authorize it in an email and agree that I am not responsible if the item is not received.

(If you had the email, and they opened an claim because they never received it, that would be the end of it.)

A few have wanted confirmation anyway, but the majority take the risk.  But, it's the Buyer's risk, not mine.  And, so far, no one has been disappointed.  🙂

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Again, some buyers know how to work the system. Might not be In this case but always cover your butt. Come to the boards for advice first.

Hopefully It was not an expensive Item.

Like so many have mentioned in previous posts Never Ship Overseas via Surface.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

"Never Ship Overseas via Surface" via eBay is what I do.

If people contacted me via my personal website, then I do ship surface. Never had any problem with that.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I become so very disappointed in Ebay and the sellers on the cost of shipping I believe that people are over charging cause I took an item that I wanted to purchase which I have simular one and went to my post office and asked what cost to ship to the USA and the price was much different then what I find many sellers are charging. I am very sad cause some of these items I am in much need of and are getting harder to find.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Oct 2 - Package shipped from Georgia to Saskatchewan.

Oct 6 - Pacakge arrives in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Oct 10 - Package shipped to Halifax, Nova Scotia (why?  No idea)

Oct 21 - Package to be delived in Saskatchewan.

No wonder Canada Post is losing money.  They're a JOKE!  Saskatchewan is next door to Manitoba, yet the parcel has to go to Halifax, Nova Scotia? 

AVOID USING CANADA POST AT ALL COSTS (no pun intended).

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

It may be obvious to many sellers that all shipments to a successful buyer should be trackable or traceable.

Not obvious at all. I rarely use trackable services, even over seas.

I do insure my shipments, some with self-insurance, some with Canada Post , some with a third party insurer (Hugh Wood International who insure collectors and dealers in collectibles). Other sellers use shipsurance.com and report satisfaction.

BTW, some sellers use the shipsurance "uninsurable destinations" list as a guide for blocking countries with poor postal systems or high levels of fraud.

Having a trackable parcel can work against you, because if  the parcel has been delivered, the insurance company may not pay out.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

so the buyer asked me to ship the item by regular (surface) mail....

I am certainly not questioning the buyers integrity

Really?

Are you in the market for a bridge? I have one for sale in Brooklyn.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I mailed my package insured and with tracking. Buyer denies receiving it. Paypal gives him a refund.Unable to file insurance claim because buyer refuses to help  with claim.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Did the tracking show that the package was received?

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Hello. I completely agree with your idea regarding responsibility of the buyer who chooses the cheaper way to ship. I am going through a 11.00 sale where the buyer hasn't received the item after 40 days. I have yet to no have an item delivered with my methods. I even took a picture at the post office, of the package with dated cancellation stamps on the package. I contacted ebay resolution centre to see what my options were.

The answer I received from Ebay: the buyer gets a refund according to ebay rules. Ebay holds the seller responsible for "hiring" the post office to deliver the package, thus a seller responsibility. Even if you state in the listing that the buyer is responsible if they choose the cheaper shipping for any undelivered packages.

I do not agree with this policy by a long shot as I did due diligence in all aspects to ensure the buyer gets their item. I feel the seller is not at all protected.

I am contacting Ebay further on this as I am not at all satisfied with what I heard from the resolution centre.

I encourage other sellers to challenge this as it is unfair to sellers, especially if the buyer goes the cheap way.

All the best

Dan

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I am sorry about your experience of non-delivery to your buyer.  It does happen to all sellers from time to time.

That policy has little to do with eBay.

It is pretty well "universal" by now and eBay's policy simply reflects what is happening in the "real world" out there.

Sellers are generally responsible to get the goods delivered to the buyer.  End of story.

That is how mail order business has been conducted for hundreds of years.

If you are a buyer and purchased an item from anywhere and did not receive it within a reasonable period of time, simply call your credit card issuer or any payment agency (such as PayPal) used to arrange the credit card payment.  A chargeback will be initiated where you (buyer) get your money back and the seller's account gets debited for the same amount.

That's the way the mail order business works.  And selling on eBay is a business.  The same rules apply.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

The Paypal and Ebay seller and buyer protections policies are quite clear that if a buyer does not receive the item, the seller is responsible for refunding the buyer unless they have delivery confirmation showing that the item was delivered.  It is a good idea to know the terms before buying or selling.

I understand that it is frustrating when an item is lost and it has happened to all of us at least once but put yourself in the buyers place. If you ordered an item and didn't receive it, would you be happy if the seller didn't take responsibility and you were out the money?

Message 14 of 14
latest reply