Quebec

No eBay Joy for me apparently: I LIVE IN  QUEBEC

@eBay: PLEASE don't send me ads for a contest I can't participate in because of where I live.

I have $20,000,000 dollars for you! ... oh, never mind: you don't live in QUEBEC!!!!

😉

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Quebec

Why don't you contact your government and have them change the silly laws you have in Quebec preventing companies from offering those contests to Quebec residents?

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Quebec

@pierrelebel wrote:

Why don't you contact your government and have them change the silly laws you have in Quebec preventing companies from offering those contests to Quebec residents?

Actually the laws are not there to prevent companies from offering contests, it is there to protect consumers or participants from fraudulous contests.  What the law says, is that if a company, organization or individual wants to open a contest, they have to put the equivalent of the total amount of the prizes offered in a trust account (money given back once contest is over and everything went well).  So it is a deterant for fraudulous individuals.  Worked at a place where we did a contest and RACJ procedures are very simple and smooth going.

I know it can be a real pain to see contest you can't participate, but it is there to protect the people.

So no changes on laws in my opinion, they are not preventing companies from doing contests,

Real question is why can't E-Bay but 2400$ (if my calculation are good)  in a trust account and fill out the easy paperwork..... too lazy ???  Do not care about Qc residents ?

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

Quebec

"it is there to protect consumers or participants from fraudulous contests. "

Same results.

If local laws make it difficult for a participant to offer a contest to local residents, the contest will not be available to those residents.

One can put the blame wherever they want, the results are the same.

All other juristictions in Canada have consumer protection legislation. Yet, they make it possible for companies to offer contests to their residents.

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

Quebec

I'm also from Québec and I was really suprised when I saw that I could not participate...
I mean, just DON'T SEND ME the offer IF I CANNOT PARTICIPATE!

I was even more suprised when I saw that the only way to contest it was to wrote a message here, where only users and not ebay helpers can participate to the conversation and resolve an issue...
EBAY, you're VERY disapointing!
Message 5 of 28
latest reply

Quebec

i'm all for the quebec laws, it makes it unique. The problem with ebay is they likely thinks its not worthed and we are a super-big company, you are less than a drop in the bucket. with the latest court decision, they wont even think about it.

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

Quebec

First of all,what we think about EBAY is none of your business and unless you are paid to watch this board (5049 posts)and bash  those who live in Québec,I strongly suggest that you find another hobby..Woman Tongue

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

Quebec

"where only users and not ebay helpers can participate to the conversation"

eBay.ca staffers offer a "weekly hour" every Wednesday at 1:00pm (Eastern) where they invite questions from users. They may not be able to give you the answer you want but you have the opportunity to ask your question.

Check this thread next Wednesday: http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Board-Hour-Session/bd-p/23000000073

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

Quebec

"unless you are paid to watch this board (5049 posts)"

???

eBay does not pay users to use the discussion boards. 

Maybe 5,049 posts seem like a lot to you but, considering that I have been here for more than ten years, it works out to about 500 a year or less than two a day!

Welcome to the discussion boards.  Feel free to visit anytime you want, express an opinion or ask a question.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

Quebec

there are a lot of companies having contest in La Belle Province, the problem with ebay is they are to lazy or they think to highly of themself

business can be done anywhere, you just have to go with the local laws.

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

Quebec

i don't get quebec has been fighting to be seperate and special for as long as i have been alive .. So why is everyone surprised ..congrats your l;aws are different..

Ebay is here for the world not for quebec it is not ebay that needs to change ...

fyi nothing against quebec i live on the border and all is well just saying why would a million people change for 10 people type of thing

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

Quebec

@angus_coin_shop wrote:

there are a lot of companies having contest in La Belle Province, the problem with ebay is they are to lazy or they think to highly of themself

business can be done anywhere, you just have to go with the local laws.

I've seen many contests with disclaimers that the contest wasn't available in Quebec so ebay is certainly not unique in that way.

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

Quebec

It's not just Ebay. Quebec is exempt from most North American contests. Sorry Quebec. You want to be included; get on your governments case.

One does not simply buy. One eBays!
Message 14 of 28
latest reply

Quebec

All business have to abide to the laws of the province or countries where they want to and or do business in.

i applaud quebec for enforcing laws that protects there citizen.

Message 15 of 28
latest reply

Quebec

Quebec is not the center of the univers. This is Quebec to adjust their law and not contest mamager to cotnact quebec each time they fart...

Ces lois sont stupides et elle sont digne de la Corée du Nord.

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

Quebec

Ebay is not lazy, the quebec law are

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

Quebec

@ramzet wrote:

Ebay is not lazy, the quebec law are

How can a law be "lazy"? This makes no sense.

Why can we have a lot of contests from Canadian companies but not from Ebay? Who is really lazy?

However, I can understand QC market is not big enough for Ebay.

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

Quebec

Ok, maybe you should relax with the notion that everyone is 'bashing' Quebec when they say anything that is remotely critical! You are just regurgitating the words of your politicians; don't be so quick to get on the bandwagon.

Secondly, the reason Quebec is often left out of the multitude of contests is simply because we practice civil law, as opposed to the rest of North America, which practices common law. The two don't mesh, and companies can't be bothered to sort out all the legal entanglements or the exorbitant legal costs in order to accommodate a population of 6 million people.

When Mr.Label uses the word "silly" to describe the laws, I think e may be using the correct adjective. What else would you call a province that prevents its citizens from browsing certain websites in order to prevent them from purchasing outside of Quebec?  Silly? You might even say it as akin to communist China.

Let's not forget, Quebec virtually bans the English language and even came close to banning religious minorities from wearing any religious clothing or paraphernalia.

I think calling Quebec's laws silly was sugar-coating it.

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

Quebec

Interesting to see how few words like Quebec, french, different,... can ignite a simple discussion about a promotional contest !!!

Glad to read you all.

Be friendly and do not forget your village is the world now !!!

Message 20 of 28
latest reply