'eBay Compensates Shoppers for Slow Delivery and SNADs'

Found this today. It affects our friends to the south only (I think) but I thought it posed some interesting questions. 

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y15/m03/i19/s01

I'll get you started:

EcommerceBytes-NewsFlash, Number 3540 - March 19, 2015 - ISSN 1539-5065    1 of 4 
eBay Compensates Shoppers for Slow Delivery and SNADsBy Ina Steiner 
EcommerceBytes.com 
March 19, 2015

inShare1 

Email This Story to a Friend

Several threads on its discussion boards reveal that eBay is giving away $5 in coupons to shoppers who experience delays in receiving their package, or experienced other problems with their orders.

One user who said she mostly sells on eBay received an email from eBay saying her package for an order she had placed with one of its sellers hadn't arrived within the time expected and included a $5 promo code for her next purchase.

"Is this normal," she asked, "and how does it get generated? From all I can see, the seller shipped on a timely basis and I'm patiently waiting, not inquiring or complaining. Probably wouldn't even have given it any thought except for getting this email."

Another buyer said they were aware of weather delays that might have caused their order to be delayed and said......

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Slow Delivery, I wanted to touch on this subject:

I recently bought a video game disc using the GSP, I had asked the seller if she would consider using another form of mailing, namely the US postal office, she said no it would be easier to use the GSP. So I told her I would do an experiment, and send her a game from my address free of charge on the same day and same time as she sent her disc to me. So I sent it by Canada Post, and she got the game two days ago, cost was $5.00 to send it to her. My cost for her to send to me was around $20.00 Canadian ($11.54 plus $5.55 for import fees in Amercian funds) I still have NOT gotten the game from the GSP.....

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

The vouchers were for American domestic purchases but, yes, I hear what you're saying. The last thing I sent to the USA by Canada Post International Tracked Packet was delivered in three business days even with the standard being a respectable seven. The last thing that was sent to me by USPS First Class also arrived in three business days so.....

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

.... and I've used the GSP once and that was the one and only time. It did not go well. Not because of slow delivery or import fees but that I ordered two of an item but got only one. The hoops that I had to jump through in order to get half my money back was a second slap in the face. I had to submit a completed police report to satisfy paypal. This was more than two years ago and it still offends me to think of it. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is bad enough that eBay "thinks" they knew the time estimate when in fact they don't know at all!!

eBay needs to remove time estimate, as we cannot rely on the mail system to do their jobs.  Yes some do delivered them fast but most of time, very, very slow which is becoming a trend now but eBay doesn't get it!  We as sellers don't need additional problems like eBay's wrong time estimate.

Not everyone can use mail service with tracking number which eBay can track them.  Duh to eBay!!

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

As I have mentioned on other topics at other times, I would like to see paypal shipping put pressure on Canada Post to develop trackable options so that we can offer tracking for a reasonable cost on all products. Paypal MUST be one of the top ten parcel postage purchasers in Canada. Tracking offers assurances to the buyer and is the only way that a seller can legitimately protect himself from those who commit fraud when they claim an item is not received. (Or from theft from within the postal corporation itself.) I simply cannot believe that having a guy scan an airmail barcode is worth three times the cost on Small Packets versus Tracked Packet. The issue must then be liability for said item. 

But this case with buyers getting apologies and coupons for something they hadn't even complained about? It seems at times to me that between the eBay Bucks program being cancelled in Canada and this fiasco with .ca listings being incompatible in the .com Cart and .co.uk. Basket that we .ca users are the poor cousins at the wedding. We have severe weather all the time in Canada and it often delays the mail. I've never seen a warning for it on the feedback page as there has been for weather events in the USA.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I agree.

Canada Post executives including Deepak Chopra, have gone on record that CPO sees parcel delivery as their future, not personal or business mail.

Adding a cheap Confirmation of Delivery for postage purchased online would be a cheap way to encourage this for personal and small business use.

And by cheap, I mean no more than 50 cents -- comparing the cost to the 25 cent USD cost of USPS.

There is a relatively low personnel cost,since the pickup and delivery staff are already in place. Including post offices and outlets and the corner mailboxes.

There is no stock to handle, since the postage would be on demand and usually from the user's own printer and paper.

Delivery staff already carry barcode readers.

Confirmation of Delivery rather than tracking would not require a lot of work only that the posties, and more importantly the contract workers, actually complete the paperwork.

There already is a barcode on postage labels purchased online.

Now to satisfy the egos of the top management it would be necessary to have a consulting company come in and tell them this after hanging around for six months or so and charging $350 an hour for the time. But they have to burn through that 2014 profit somehow.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I have experienced the same many of times. Most 99.9 % of the time I order from the States I never was charged for Duty and Tax even for items of 200.00US. Now with the Global Shipping  from the States I find it slower and too expensive. I talked to many sellers in the States and they did not realize the amount that I was charged for shipping because Paypal only shows their portion of the payment. But if you look at your paypal statement it shows xx amount to the seller then xx amount to PBowls. After talking to a few of the sellers they removed themselves from the Global shipping service. Now I try to only buy from sellers that DON'T use the service. Cheaper, faster shipping and the tracking # actually works.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

When I see that Global shipping being used for billing shipping cost:  I don't buy.   It should be up to Canada Customs to charge me import duties if they want.   At least if they charge me import duties I know it is going to my government to waste.   When prepaying import duties who's to say where that money is going.

Maurice

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hey everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 10
latest reply