How does this new tax effect sellers that use ebay.ca

I am a seller that has a ebay store.I don't use this for huge sales,I do this for a hobby.

How will this effect small sellers like myself?Am I going to have to stop selling on ebay?We already have to pay so many fees now with this,were does this leave me?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

@magicflakes wrote:

I am a seller that has a ebay store.I don't use this for huge sales,I do this for a hobby.

How will this effect small sellers like myself?

You'll see an extra line on your monthly invoice with the GST/HST on your eBay FEES.

That's it. It does not effect your listings.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 11.36.22 AM.png

The only sales tax will be charged on the fees YOU pay to ebay for selling here, nothing else. It does not matter what you sell or how much you sell. It doesn't affect your customers.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

It does if you decide to become GST/HST registered and charge the buyer GST/HST as a result.

Increases their cost 5% to 15% for everything Canadians buy from Canadian sellers that will register after this increase from Ebay/our government.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

There is no reason for a seller grossing less than $30,000 (including postage) from eBay to register to charge and collect GST/HST/PST.

If a seller is collecting that much, she can if she wishes, include the tax  she calculates she must remit (on Canadian sales only) into the asking price for all her items.

She does have to include her GST number on her invoices if she is registered.

Anecdotally, Canadian sellers seem to sell 10% or less of their goods domestically. The other 90% of sales is GST/PST/HST free.

What non-registered sellers do have to do, is include their eBay PROFIT on their income tax return. I suspect a lot of sellers, especially those who are cleaning the basement or disposing of collections, don't realize that.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

"How will this effect small sellers like myself?"

So here is an HONEST answer for you! It means that once again the little guy gets screwed!

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

It's paying a nominal amount of tax to the federal government on services (our seller's fees only) that should have been collected from the onset of ebay Canada. It's not going to make-or-break me and I am a small seller. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

It's just one more nail in Ebay's coffin. I think it will affect Ebay the most in the end. High store fees, FVF's, FVF's on shipping, PayPal fees etc etc etc. It never ends!

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I will give this a try for this month and see how much more I will pay on fees.I offer free shipping to my Canadian buyers and it has increased my sales.I Think it has its advantages.More buyers and fast delivery time.I don not want to have charge shipping to my Canadian buyers because in my opinion they are they best costumers to deal with.
After this month,I will see my new fees with all the new government charges.I will not charge my CANADIAN BUYERS any shipping.
My options,close my account and stop selling if it doesn't make any sense.
This is such a sad situation.....this is something I do because I like the sports card hobby and do this for fun with my kids.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

This IS NOT A TAX BUYERS WILL SEE ON THEIR PURCHASES. This change does not add Sales Taxes to the Shopping Cart. It is a change to the internal structure of eBay where we will now pay service tax on our monthly sellers' fees to eBay Canada instead of no tax on monthly sellers' fees to eBay International.
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Therefore it has no direct impact on whether you offer free shipping or not. The additional charges to you, the GST or HST, will hardly be noticeable.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

"How will this effect small sellers like myself?"

Ebay does what Ebay wants and we have no voice, which is wrong. I was told to post here so here I am. It won't be of any good though.

I feel as though the carpet was pulled out from under my feet. 20 percent discount cut back to 10 percent with no discussion with me?

Store fees increased. I committed to Ebay for 12 months at a certain fee. They changed the fee. More for Ebay = less for me.

The frustration level is through the roof over this and I don't know if I will stay with Ebay right now.

It would seem they want you to just drink the kool-aid and everything will be great.

Fees from Paypal,Shipo Ebay.  I won't even mention how Shippo has been.

Not happy Mr. Ebay. Not Happy at all.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 13
latest reply