Listing fees just increased 10%

My listing fees just increased 10% in July, I understand the GST/HST is being added but I live in Alberta where our GST is only 5%.

Have called ebay, so far they don't knw why the fee has increased 10% either.

Has anyone else encountered this, it makes a significant difference to me with the number of listings I have.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

The 2017 Spring Seller Update reduced the TRS discount from 20% to 10%. But you should have seen that on the June invoice too since it was in effect from May 1, 2017.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

What's your base listing fee?

I see eBay is charging the tax on each fee instead of on the invoice total (although that might just be for the transition period from no tax to taxed).

So if you're listing fee is 10 cents the taxed fee will be 11 cents (5% GST, rounded).

-..-

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

The 2017 Spring Seller Update reduced the TRS discount from 20% to 10%. But you should have seen that on the June invoice too since it was in effect from May 1, 2017.

My seller dashboard still shows 20%.

Do you think I can hold them to it?

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Which is actually a 10% increase

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Exactly, it's a 10% tax not 5%. The girl on the ebay call end said it was 10% "Tax", not 5% rounded, but she would look into it and call back, am not holding my breath as the call backs usually never happen).

How much are they sending to CRA ?

Base fee is 10 cents, now getting billed 11.

The Discount still shows 20% but whether it's reduced to 10% is a different issue. That's a double hit in one month !

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Perhaps the exchange rate comes into play here???....the exchange rate has gone up about 4-1/2 % over the past month....

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@arcticmedals wrote:

Exactly, it's a 10% tax not 5%. The girl on the ebay call end said it was 10% "Tax", not 5% rounded, but she would look into it and call back, am not holding my breath as the call backs usually never happen).

How much are they sending to CRA ?

Base fee is 10 cents, now getting billed 11.

You expect an ebay support person based outside Canada to understand Canadian taxes ???

It's the same rounding you get when you buy taxable stuff in a store. The problem is when it's for very small amounts.

The CRA does get grumpy if they don't get sent what was collected. That's what auditors are for.

Hopefully after the transition period is over eBay will be charging tax based on the invoice total, rather than each individual fee.

If I had 10 cent listing fees, being in a 13% HST province, with rounding I'd see 11 cents with tax included.

As to the 20% currently displayed by the dashboard, when I asked earlier this week, I was told that the team responsible for the dashboard have been instructed to fix it to show the proper rate. One would expect this to be a simple correction, but then this is eBay ...

-..- 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I had thought that the gst/hst would be one total on a bill, just like it is when you are billed for anything else. It makes bookkeeping much easier.  I really hope they don't plan on separating the tax in the future.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

The exchange rate should have any effect on our fees. Its Ebay.ca. With an agreed fee when you signed up. Just like discount you earned was 20 percent and they change it to 10 percent without your input. Everyone getting the picture? As I posted before they just want you to keep drinking the KOOL-AID. More and more will leave unless they do something.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 11
latest reply