New store with promotionla offer

Hello Guys, 

I am planning to launch my store next month, and for first 3 days of launch period, I plan to offer free items excluding shipping of course, I will be charging one flat shipping fee.

Is there anyway in the store to restrict one item for one buyer only? I don't want one buyer to buy more than one item during the promotion period.

Can I do that or not?

Regards

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: New store with promotionla offer

If you are new to ebay, it would be better to start by experiencing it as a buyer first.

Sellers with zero feedback are a magnet to unethical types who make seek to exploit your inexperience.

Please don't take it personally, it is the advice that I give to every potential new seller. You need to start as a buyer to build feedback. 

Also, you will be subject to Selling Limits. Make certain you designate your items Immediate Payment Required or you may find your monthly Selling Limits eaten up by Unpaid Items. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I presume you are trying to build up your reputation & get some practice as a seller. What kind of items are you thinking of selling? I don't think you are allowed to sell items for free. At least I have never seen it. The lowest price I have seen is .99.  Why don't you sell the item for a set price & offer free shipping. That would work. And if they bought more than one item at least they would be charged for each item but with free shipping.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

You are absolutely right, the idea is to build reputation and get some positive feed backs from customers.

Mostly I will be selling computer/ cell phones, parts, accessories. books etc.

Your idea of free shipping does make sense, I can surely work on it .

Thanks for the reply.

Regards
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I would also recomend that as a new seller you only ship to Canada & the US.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

If you are new to ebay, it would be better to start by experiencing it as a buyer first.

Sellers with zero feedback are a magnet to unethical types who make seek to exploit your inexperience.

Please don't take it personally, it is the advice that I give to every potential new seller. You need to start as a buyer to build feedback. 

Also, you will be subject to Selling Limits. Make certain you designate your items Immediate Payment Required or you may find your monthly Selling Limits eaten up by Unpaid Items. 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@tnyshoes wrote:

Hello Guys, 

I am planning to launch my store next month, and for first 3 days of launch period, I plan to offer free items excluding shipping of course, I will be charging one flat shipping fee.

Is there anyway in the store to restrict one item for one buyer only? I don't want one buyer to buy more than one item during the promotion period.

Can I do that or not?

Regards

If you are a new seller on a new eBay id, there are Selling Limits as to how many items you can sell. The limit for a brand new seller is 10 items with a total value of $1,000 in the first month. If the id is successful and sells some of the first 10 items, then you may get an increase in the 10 items a month to 20 or 25 and a higher dollar value.

It makes absolutely no sense to open a store when you are a new seller. A new seller has too much to learn and will make mistakes. A store may be allowed 250 free listings but you cannot use them because of the selling limits.

As well as selling limits, until you have a solid reputation as a seller, your sales will be subject to a 21 day hold.

Last the type of items that you are selling, computers and cell phones are the most competitive and a new seller with 0 or low feedback will have many attempts from scammers buying their items.

So in summary, do not get a store, sell low value parts under $10, learn how to sell then gradually work your way up to more expensive items in a year. Even then the category that you are selling in is very competitive and to make a viable profit selling and shipping from Canada is very hard to do.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/sellinglimits.html

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Thanks ,, and appreciate your feedback. and valuable inputs.. I am glad I posted my question here, I am getting all the information which was totally invisible to me. 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

You're very welcome. We've learned the hard way. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why would you want to restrict buyers to only one item?  If a buyer wants to buy more than 1, I would go for it.  As for one same flat shipping rate, it is not possible as it is different rates to US comparing to Canada.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I noticed your listings has "shipping not specified".  As a buyer myself (also as a seller) when I see those comments, I just pass them by as it would be a waste of time having to asking the seller(s) how much to ship to Canada, etc.

You really need to do your homework and find the postage rates for each items and list the shipping costs in your listings to save time. otherwise you would have lots of potential buyers passing by your listings.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Because their intended promo is super low-cost items for a limited time, essentially give-aways. They don't want a competitor to swoop in and buy everything for resale.
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Frankly that's going to attract the worst kind of shoppers-- the armed bargain hunter.

The kind who will object to your shipping charges -- after he buys.

And then claims non-receipt when you change to a cheaper but untracked service, and gets his money back as well as the item, which really did arrive, although you can' prove it.

And then trashes your Feedback -- because he can.

You want the customer who asks questions before buying, pays a fair price and discusses any post-sale problems rationally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-xWhG4UU_Y

Your best advertising is your title and your best way to attract good customers is to have at least 10 feedback even if it is from sellers.

Buy a digital scale, a measuring tape, perhaps some of the eBay branded supplies if you are eligible. Or tube socks. Whatever.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Hi,

Thanks for the reply ,

Can you confirm which of the listings have Shipping not specified?

I just double checked and made sure that all of the listings has shipping specified to them

Regards

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

You have shipping to Canada on all your lots.

Have you actually measured and weighed your items , since you seem to be using Flat Rate Shipping?

Some are too large for Letter Rates and will need parcel service and those rates are extremely variable. Use Calculated Shiping in the dropdown so you don't spend more for shipping than you take in.

Your titles are terrible.

Garments should have sizes and colour in the title. And measurements in the description.

Books should name the author as well as give the title.

It helps to spell what the item is correctly.

Anything that has a sell before date, should state that sell before date.

Is that handbag leather or cloth or plastic? What are the measurements? The brand should be in the title. 

If you enter the brand and type of item, you will be directed to the catalogue, which will give a Description for you. Don't take this as being correct, but it is a good start.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 15
latest reply