Fees are criminal to take commission on postage.

wgs0-64
Community Member

Why is ebay continuing to take commission from postage? That is a **bleep**ing rip off.......

Then you have the nerve to send this **bleep** to me. I know nobody else will see this note except the flunkies that control all of the bull**bleep** coming from ebay. Then when I get danced around by your people on the phone, you ask for feedback. That will never happen. I have nothing good to say about anyone I have ever talked to in about 20 years of selling on ebay. I have many items listed on other auction sites that do not rip off the buyer or the seller.

William (wgs-064)

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

There was once a time when fees were only taken from the cost of the item sold.

Then the percentage for the fee went up ...

.......and that is when some sellers would price the item at $1.00  and shipping at $60.... or other price for shipping cost.

That is when eBay started to take a selling fee from the price of the item .....plus ..... the cost of shipping.

Fees are taken from shipping cost to prevent a seller from evading fees with a very low price for an item  being sold and fees calculated only on the price of an item being sold ....

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

The phone workers are subcontractors, undertrained and underpaid. They do not work for eBay.

You want the various Chat eBay employees.

The posters here are members like yourself.

EBay has charged fees on shipping for over a decade. Their original reason was that some smartalecs were charging 99c for the item and $99 for shipping, which not only cheated eBay of their fees but also infuriated buyers.

Nowadays, eBay is back to their status quo ante 2015 when they were forced to sell off Paypal and have a new in house payment processor, Managed Payments.

And all payment processors, as you may know if you have ever run a B&M business that took credit cards, charge their fees on the whole payment.

So when we had a shop in Ottawa, we paid fees on shipping and fees on sales taxes as well because when our customer handed over his credit card, our processor (Moneris mostly) charged their fee on the whole amount.

It's a Standard Business Practice.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not just fees on shipping that's criminal, but charging sellers 12.55% on taxes must be illegal. It's nothing more than corporate greed and sellers are paying the price. Instead of penalizing honest sellers, they should be going after those who are trying to screw the system by selling cheap and charging excessive shipping since that's the reason eBay uses for gouging the rest of us with fees on postage and taxes. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Get used to it, this is what eBay does year over year, to find new ways to get higher 4th quarter earnings over the previous year and it's all done out of the wallet of the seller. I'm actually quite surprised they're not in court over this and several other questionable behaviors. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@Anonymous   Technically......

They are not charging on taxes.

They are charging on the entire payment, which includes taxes and shipping.

And it has been Standard Business Practice for merchant credit card accounts to be charged on the entire payment processed since at least the lat 1970s, probably earlier when credit cards came into common use.

That fee, by the way, is why you will occasionally see convenience stores, and other businesses with many small transactions daily, refuse to take card payment if the amount is under $5 or $10 dollars. The fees being charged are greater than the potential profit on the sale. 

Another reason eBay sellers should not sell very cheap items (my own preference is under $10 including shipping) just the non-refundable 30c charge makes it uneconomic.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Back to the subject of charging FVF on shipping, also consider that sellers that offer "free" shipping usually have some or all of the shipping charge built into the price of the item.  If FVF weren't charged on shipping, it would create an uneven playing field and a disincentive for sellers to offer "free" shipping in their listings.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@Anonymous Consider that prior to Managed Payments, you were paying 10% in FVF to eBay and at least 2.9%+30 cents in fees to PayPal for each transaction for a total of 12.9%.  My understanding is that under the new fee structure, sellers pay less than 12.9% in FVF to mitigate the charges on sales tax.

If you were okay with what you were charged by eBay and PayPal prior to Managed Payments, you'll likely find that the fees charged on your sales now aren't much different.  It's better to focus on the total that eBay charges on your sales rather than get your Stanfield's in a twist over percentages.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Fees fees and more fees. This promotion ebay has had going for unlimited free listing fees for sportscards has gotten me active again. I went the free shipping route figuring that it would generate more customers. Unfortunately while it does increase the number of customers it also increases the number of scam artists. I have never been hit with as many item not received chargebacks in my whole time selling on eBay as I did in the first 2 months of last year. I didn't matter that more than one buyer had multiple positive feedbacks saying they did the same to other sellers. I even had an item not as described case opened that ebay sided with me and still refunded the buyer and left me out the $100 and the item. Ebay needs to do something more to protect sellers from all the scam artists out there. The ability to leave negative feedback for buyers needs to be brought back. Buyers arguments that sellers hold feedback hostage is ridiculous when they now can rip buyers off and have no worries of recourse.
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

You do understand that Free Shipping is not free, right?

It means you put your shipping cost into the asking price.

Which is cheaper :  a $10 card with $1 shipping or an $11 card with Free Shipping?

If you often get multiple purchases, "free" shipping means that the buyer of ten $11 cards with Free Shipping is paying you $110. How much more does it cost to ship ten cards than one card? Did "free" shipping suddenly becomes a profit centre?

Are you using Cookie Jar Insurance?

When we go commando on tracking, we have to include our losses to fraud (and occasionally to actual non-delivery) in the cost of every card we sell.

Which might mean than $10 card which includes a $1 shipping cost also includes at $0.10 Cookie Jar Insurance premium.  The buyer is now paying $11.10 for his card. Will your market bear that? Will your market bear $111.00 for ten cards purchased together?

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@you_found_what wrote:

Ebay needs to do something more to protect sellers from all the scam artists out there. 

If questionable Item Not Received claims are an issue for you, why aren't you using tracked shipping?

Message 11 of 11
latest reply