DELAYING SHIPPING UNTIL AFTER CHRISTMAS......

I've have a few International sales that I accepted "best offer" on, I emailed the buyers prior to accepting their offers with the understanding that the packages would be shipped out after Christmas and to "not pay" me until that time.

One of the buyers went ahead and initiated payment so there's going to be a week or two before the package is mailed out with payment received.

My question is what happens if I marked the item as shipped two weeks after the fact...

The package will be shipping Canada Post Small-Packet Airmail International so there's no Tracking Number.

Will I receive a "defect" for the extended handling time?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

tobyshitzu
Community Member

Defect if the buyer leaves fb and answers the question that it didn't arrive on time.  That is the same regardless of when its mailed  

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Defect if the buyer leaves fb and answers the question that it didn't arrive on time.  That is the same regardless of when its mailed  

Yes, I know that and the buyer understands that it will be shipped out after the Christmas break.... will there be a problem with marking it as shipped two weeks after the fact...... that's my only concern.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@silverpinups wrote:

will there be a problem with marking it as shipped two weeks after the fact...... that's my only concern.

I don't think the system will even know.  Have you extended your handling time on all your listings so that it matches what will actually be reflected in the shipping?  Without tracking there isn't much the system can do.  What if you mailed it right away but forgot to mark it as shipped for 2 wks?

Untracked parcels basically rely on that On Time question.  

If you have a 3 week handling time, you will for sure be within your right to mail it after 3 weeks (or whatever) .

If you have all the emails where the buyer says it is fine to mail it after Christmas, then even if they do answer NO and it turns into a defect you should be able to get that removed if you call eBay CS and show them the message exchange.  

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@silverpinups wrote:

will there be a problem with marking it as shipped two weeks after the fact...... that's my only concern.

Like Vivian mentioned, the system won't know when it was actually shipped (we've all forgotten to mark items as shipped during busy periods).  Rather than worry about this through the Christmas period, why don't you send a brief note to the buyer saying something to the effect that since they paid far in advance of your stated shipping time, when they are presented with the "on-time" question, would they kindly answer yes since, to do otherwise, you will be penalized.  Keep it short and friendly and I'm sure there will be no problem.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Yes, I intend on sending them a friendly reminder about the eBay's "estimated delivery time" that takes effect as soon as payment is received.. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Well, your business is your business, but personally, I would be shipping now.

If you are worried that the holiday traffic will hold up your shipment, so will a three week delay in shipping.

What you gain lose on the coconuts, you gain on the roundabouts.

Or just closing down and putting the store On Vacation with no visibility until you are ready to ship. I have done that in the past.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I've never had any problems during the Christmas season... I always try and cover my bases but there's always a buyer that agrees to your terms and then goes ahead and changes it..... it's a pending payment coming from the buyers bank account so it should take 5-7 business days to clear. 

I don't foresee any problems with the buyer, as we've had positive communications with one another. I just would have preferred being paid after Christmas.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply