I won an auction and the seller just jacked up the shipping rate from 4 to 10$ How is this possible?

I had won an auction for a cheap baseball card that was just a few dollars and as I went to go pay today, I noticed he jacked the shipping cost from 4 to 10 dollars! How is this allowed? I have the screen shots to play it. I'm not going to pay 10$ shipping for a 3 dollar baseball card.

Can someone explain this to me?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I won an auction and the seller just jacked up the shipping rate from 4 to 10$ How is this possible?

And now 1 day later, here's how it shows up in my cart.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

No, someone is not allowed to change the shipping charge after an auction is won. Perhaps you sent you an adjusted invoice, are you trying to pay from an invoice or from the actual order/win.

Have you reached out to him to ask and/or tell him this is not the shipping charge originally agreed to? Just ask for the order to be cancelled if he is not going to adjust the shipping to original amount you agreed to when bidding.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Somehow the shipping rate has changed when I go to the cart, but I double checked on the completed listing, and when I went to go send him a message about it, it showed above that the shipping was 4 dollars.

I sent him a message and he has yet to reply. I'm not sure what to do as I don't want to get dinged with a no-payment strike.

It's worth noting on his listing, at the bottom of the page he has it typed that shipping is a flat 10 dollars, but thats NOT the price that was listed for the shipping rate where you place the bid. So I think he's running some kind of a scam and from my research, the shipping price entered in is the one that has to be honored.

It's very frustrating. He's not even an international seller, he's from Canada as am I.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Hopefully he will reply (but if this is something he does often he may not). Instead of "going to cart", if it shows the 4 dollar amount on your completed listing try to pay from there, or also you would have received a "You won" email from eBay, see if the pay now works directly from there with the $4 shipping.

You can also try contacting eBay's customer service to tell them the situation and ask what you should do.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I just tried that and it only shows the updated price... Really frustrating. That's a good idea, I'll try reaching out to someone if he doesn't get back to me today with a resolution.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Looking at some of the seller's other completed listings, they all seem to have this discrepancy between the shipping cost stated in the listing description and the shipping cost stated in the "shipping" section of the listing.   Even their current auction of a Stan Lee card that's currently over $250 in bids has a $4.00 shipping charge but instead of being described as "standard delivery," it's described as "secure delivery with tracking."

My guess is that they've tried to make some modifications to their listings but messed up.  I assume you missed the charge stated in the description of the listing so you didn't ask the seller about the discrepancy before bidding?

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

The seller usually sells high-end slabbed graded cards, so I assumed he was just using a stock template for the cheap ungraded card and that the listed shipping price was the price to pay attention to. The idea of charging 10 dollar shipping on a 3 dollar card is insanity to me. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply