Do we know if the new postal increases start on Monday?

I forgot to ask my PM yesterday, I looked on the CP site and all they had of recent news was the losses report yesterday. 

I can't find anything aside from the forewarning of the letter rate changes back in Februrary, but then again I've maybe missed something somewhere?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Ughh of course moments after I posted this I found the right page on the site...

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/doc/en/support/LM_e.pdf 

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/doc/en/support/LP-e.pdf 

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

FYI,

For anybody who doesn't get their stamps from a stamp seller, Rexall (Ontario) has P-stamps at 10 percent off this week. 

Limit of 4 per person, but you may be able to circumvent this with family members or different hats.

That should come out to 8.28 per booklet. Full retail on booklets will be 9.80. That's effectively 15.5 percent off of the new price. 

Costco has rolls of 100 at 5 percent off.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

My PM keeps a "supply" of "collector appropriate" stamps on hand for me. I cleaned up the $1700 supply of the Ps (92c) rate she had on hand, made quite the big sale day at my wee post office that day!!!

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Thanks for the links! They don't seem to make it easy to find that stuff as I looked earlier and didn't see it.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

I actually don't know how I found them, the new and improved much easier to find things website they proclaimed doesn't seem to be so....to me at least!

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I thought perhaps they were using the same outsourced programmers that eBay uses. 😂

Seriously, imo they need 'users' help on designing their website.  I find it really clunky and hard to find certain things on it.  When they do make changes it often seems to add more work for the user.  (referring to CP but the same is true for eBay.)

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Just want to confirm my thinking on the new rates.  So if I want to send Letter mail to Canada and I am using the P stamp it would now be One P stamp (.99cents) + 16 cents in stamps to equal the new rate of $1.15 for up to 30g letter.

For the USA it would then be one P stamp (.99cents) + 41 cents in stamps to equal the new rate of $1.40 for up to 30g letter.

And for international I could just use 3 P stamps for up to 30g. to cover the new rate of $2.92

Is my math correct?

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@skylarstuff For regular letter up to 30g JUST the P stamp is all you need, it's the "permanent" first class letter rate up to 30g within Canada. 

There is a lot of discussion about if you put "non-P" stamps on whether you need 99c or $1.15 in total, but if you are using a P stamp that is all you need.

Your methods for US and international are ok.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Just a contribution to the 99 cents vs 1.15 discussion.

FYI, you can technically put two P-stamps for 100g oversized. There is a specific rule in the massive Canada Post book. Given small denomination postage is difficult to get, this is a good thing to know.

I am not suggesting people pull a fast one on Canada Post and underpay on postage, there is a specific rule about this but I am unsure how it is worded.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@ilikehockeyjerseys I discussed this with my PM some time ago. I don't have the exact wording but it is meant to be there for an "oops" kind of situation as opposed to always. I asked why do I have to put the extra 10c (at the time) on when it says in the manual it can go with 2 Ps. 

She told me that they're to let them go as one offs and not as regulars.

Personally I wouldn't bother anyway, its the same saga as the 99c or $1.15 of stamps, it's not worth the "risk"  of them coming back (the 10c only costs me max 5c as I'm using discounted postage) as underpaid by some CP uninformed "do gooder" as other sellers have experience along with all the ebay related problems of late shipments/returns etc resulting from it.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

For what it is worth.......if you use stamps and find yourself a few cents worth short of what you need, you can drop it in a mail box as is and most all postal employees know, from their "handbook" to let any mail that is short up to 10 cents (the amount is debatable) go through, not returned to sender. This is the info I get from my my Postmaster and Postmistress from the 2 PO's I use.

Perhaps even more so as it is getting more and more difficult to get smaller denomination stamps from retail. I think 10 cent stamps were actually discountinued. That is all.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@snoopwiz wrote:

For what it is worth.......if you use stamps and find yourself a few cents worth short of what you need, you can drop it in a mail box as is and most all postal employees know, from their "handbook" to let any mail that is short up to 10 cents (the amount is debatable) go through, not returned to sender. This is the info I get from my my Postmaster and Postmistress from the 2 PO's I use.

Perhaps even more so as it is getting more and more difficult to get smaller denomination stamps from retail. I think 10 cent stamps were actually discountinued. That is all.

If the depot is on the ball or of the larger variety (high volume) they should have stock of different small denomination stamps to make up the difference. They can also print individual stamps on demand if you ask. Or they used to be able to. If you use your SSB account you can order the stamps to make up any difference. Minimum order is like 25.oo or so to get free shipping which includes signature service. Screenshot of some of the available stamps attached. Full list with the link.

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1715033147194.png

https://store.canadapost-postescanada.ca/store-boutique/en/5/c/postage-stamps

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@snoopwiz wrote:

It actually isn't debatable, it's specified clearly in the Retail Operations Manual. With the most recent Lettermail increase the "shortpaid" allowance has actually gone up to 11 cents, as that's the difference between 2xP stamps ($1.98) and the Oversized Lettermail rate under 100g ($2.09) - as others have stated, Canada Post accepts 2 'P' stamps in place of an Oversized Lettermail stamp. Employees at sortation depots are encouraged to use their "best judgment" when returning shortpaid items though, so it is possible that items shortpaid more than 11 cents could be pushed through just fine.

Annoyingly they've stopped producing low-value definitive stamps so they're hard to come by these days. Most post offices should have a stock of the ones that are available, but popular ones like 10 cent and 5 cent have sold out from Canada Post directly so you would have to luck into finding a post office that has a backstock of them. 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 22, and 25 cent stamps are still in stock and can be purchased in panes of 50 from the Canada Post website (as Lotz shows above) but once they're sold out they won't be coming back. Canada Post eliminated the low-value definitive with the reasoning that post offices can print off a meter label in any denomination - unfortunately the downside to this is that you can't purchase a bunch of them to take home with you, and the meter labels are huge and take up a ton of real estate on the front of an envelope.

Here's the relevant pages from the most recent "Rate Action" booklet that was sent out to post offices in advance of the May 6th rate increase if anyone wants to read about Lettermail (and it also has the answers to popular questions such as "What are 'P' stamps actually worth"?). I've blanked out any information that would be relevant only to post offices (such as ordering instructions and allocation information):

IMG_6053.JPGIMG_6054.JPGIMG_6055.JPGIMG_6056.pngIMG_6057.pngIMG_6058.JPG

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

I believe this spells out the answer to the long debated 99c vs $1.15 when there are stamps already on the envlope too!!

As always THX for posting this stuff!!

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

All true but..........my post was only a heads up for a "what if" situation. Do you really want to go into a PO for a few cents in stamps or prefer dropping the envelope a few pennies "short" in the corner red box?

Message 16 of 16
latest reply