Flat rate shipping to internationnal

Recently a guy from japan selected Canada Post Tracked Packet - USA . I click on print label and I have to use internationnal shipping to ship to him.  I use flat rate. I talked to a ebay customer service and they said that if u have 1 option in internationnal shipping, they can chose it even if they are not in the USA.  doesnt make any sense to me. HELP thank you 🙂

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

@animeheaven.store wrote:

Recently a guy from japan selected Canada Post Tracked Packet - USA . I click on print label and I have to use internationnal shipping to ship to him.  I use flat rate. I talked to a ebay customer service and they said that if u have 1 option in internationnal shipping, they can chose it even if they are not in the USA.  doesnt make any sense to me. HELP thank you 🙂

@animeheaven.store 

Is it possible when you set up your shipping options for that or any other listings you did not apply countries correctly? If is extremely easy to do. With international...USA first you have to apply the US options you want to use to any selected  service. Then the same procedure for International applying the countries and blocking countries you do not want to ship to. The system AUTOMATICALLY defaults to USA for International shipping for some baffling reason. The other strange issue with setting up shipping is the services are grouped by speed vs by carrier. CP/UPS/Fedex. Standard setup would be by carrier.

On a number of your listings shipping is not set up for Japan. (They have please contact seller). With the screenshot checking japan it does show USA tracked. You will need to go in and edit listings to correct.

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1714669060788.png

-Lotz

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

As @lotzofuniquegoodies mentioned, a lot of your listings have worldwide shipping but instead  of specifying the US tracked packet rate to the US, it specifies that rate to all the countries.  When you are using a flat rate the calculator isn't in effect and the rates mimic what you entered.

If you are going to ship overseas, it would be to your benefit to use calculated shipping as there can be a big difference between the rate to the UK and the rate to Australia.  Plus, while all countries have small packet international not all of them have tracked packet.  And some countries have a poor delivery reputation if you use a non tracked service such as small packet.

I would really reccomend that you just list with shipping to the US and Canada until you have a little more experience selling here.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

If the shipping amount to Japan makes the sale not workable, I would cancel the sale with "problem with address" so that you do not get a seller defect.  A lot of international buyers have US shipping addresses to forwarders or friends.  In this case the address is in Japan and they selected a service clearly marked as "US" and the buyer selected it even though they have a US address.   

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

When you are choosing International Rates you can enter up to six different choices.

But first you have to choose World wide

->Destination

->  check off countries.

If you don't do that, whatever rate you chose will be the one applied Worldwide.

Looks like this was your error.

You can review what you actually did by using Sell Similar and then Revise to read the original.

If you don't plan to relist at this point, just stop there and the sold item will not relist.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

yes, if using flat rate shipping (as I do but I ship only to USA & Canada)within the listing's shipping section, for International shipping application process to pick the type of shipping >Destinations and choice is to check "Ships Worldwide" OR check the individual countries(and in my case I select "United States"), click on the blue "Done" and thern proceed to fill in "Buyer pays" for the shipping amount that will be charged to the buyer.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

yes, if using flat rate shipping (as I do but I ship only to USA & Canada)within the listing's shipping section, for International shipping application process to pick the type of shipping >Destinations and choice is to check "Ships Worldwide" OR check the individual countries(and in my case I select "United States"), click on the blue "Done" and thern proceed to fill in "Buyer pays" for the shipping amount that will be charged to the buyer.

@reallynicestamps 

@mrdutch1001 

In theory or practice, however you want to term it, the system should remember what you used last when creating a new listing from scratch. Unfortunately, not how it works. I've gone to create a new listing and Germany will be turned on as a ship to after turning off(again) with a most recent previous listing, Immediate payment required for buy it not turned on which I don't use and private listing activated which I NEVER use. You have to be extremely careful and proof listings even when using templates or selling similar. The default to USA tracked for International shipping has been baffling since implementation along with the "order arrangement" of shipping services.

It appears when the shipping option tool was created it was done with the possibility of making a mistake extremely easy to happen. 

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

PS. As a side, why I rarely use templates due to the risk that eBay has tinkered under the hood since a template was originally created.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I don't use templates but I do use "Sell Similar" and generally with no issues....BUT one does have to check to be sure everything is as it should be BEFORE letting listings go live.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply