How to purchase extra insurance?

I have combined shipping on several items and the total value is substantially beyond the 100.00 standard coverage. If I purchase a label through Ebay.ca(parcel is going to the US), all carriers, Fedex, UPS and Canada Post do not allow me to purchase extra insurance beyond the 100.00 coverage limit.  The only thing I can add is a signiture for the parcel.
Ebay rep suggested that I buy my label outside of Ebay, but does this  affect my seller protection? Weird that there was no drop down to buy some additional insurance.
What is the best choice? Should I get worried about it as if the parcel is delivered, insurance does not matter as this items are not breakable. Just if the carrier loses the parcel altogether.
What do others do is they sell higher priced items to the US?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

You will still have seller protection, so long as you have tracking. All you need to do is copy the tracking code into the transaction after you mark it as shipped. Also, keep a copy of the tracking code in your records in case there is a glitch on the website and you need it for a claim.

You will need a signature if the order totals $750 or more (including tax+shipping). Looking at your eBay store, if this is the recent 600+ sale, I would opt for signature confirmation. 

You also have to make sure you send to the exact address provided. A common scam with expensive purchases is that the buyer will message you and say "Oh this is actually for my sister who lives at a different address, can you ship it to 123 Scam Street please." Shipping to an address that is different than the one provided by the buyer at checkout invalidates seller protection EVEN if they ask you to do so. 

You have a few options here. The easiest would be to sign up for a "small business" account with Canada Post (https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/small-business.page) - You don't need a business number, anybody can sign up. Then print a label online using the Canada Post website. You might get a similar discount to what you would get on eBay. If you don't have a printer, you will receive an e-mail with a QR code that you can bring to the post office and have them scan for you. Of course, you can buy a Canada Post label at a Post Office but Snap Ship offers you a discount compared to the counter rates.

The other option is to sign up for an account with a service called Chit Chats. https://chitchats.com/locations/calgary - They likely have a branch near you. You need to sign up on their website and print out the label at home. They aren't like Canada Post where you can pay at the branch. You may be able to ship via USPS Priority Mail with a signature and insurance for cheaper than Canada Post. They are fairly reliable, but I haven't used them for a while. Don't select their ultra cheap shipping option as that sometimes uses alternate carriers that take a long time. Select USPS Priority or Ground Advantage (you might need priority for insurance+signature confirmation).

I would not use Fedex or UPS because you could encounter issues with brokerage fees and import charges. You absolutely should declare the proper value of the package, but USPS/Canada Post don't charge excessive brokerage charges. Fedex and UPS do. On top of that, Fedex could come after you for the charges if the customer doesn't pay them. Fedex usually sends the customer a bill AFTER the package is delivered, so the customer doesn't have to pay the charges to receive the package. 

Ultimately, you will always have issues with insurance because if your package is lost or damaged you will be at the mercy of the customer providing the postal service with the required information. Once a customer receives their refund via an eBay case, they have less incentive to comply with the insurance case outside of eBay. So if this is an important package I would opt for signature confirmation as a way to minimize the chance the package is left outside. I would also write "Do Not Safe Drop" visibly on the side of the package. That translates to, don't leave this outside a house with nobody home. Chit Chats uses a third party for insurance, so I cannot comment on how easily a claim can be settled with Chit Chats vs Canada Post. At the end of the day, I am not bullish on shipping insurance on international orders because it requires a lot of cooperation just to get a claim to go through. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Yes, thanks, that is helpful.  Yes, the parcel goes to the address listed. Signature is a great idea. I was going to do that, and then just let it go, but I will get insurance anyway.  The buyer says she is happy to pay extra for insurance...How would I collect that as I did not expect to have to do it outside of Ebay? Send her a buy it now for insurance coverage? Can a buyer just send extra money to the seller?How do they do that. It will add 15.00 to shipping.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@ilikehockeyjerseys wrote:

You will still have seller protection, so long as you have tracking. All you need to do is copy the tracking code into the transaction after you mark it as shipped. Also, keep a copy of the tracking code in your records in case there is a glitch on the website and you need it for a claim.

You will need a signature if the order totals $750 or more (including tax+shipping). Looking at your eBay store, if this is the recent 600+ sale, I would opt for signature confirmation. 

You also have to make sure you send to the exact address provided. A common scam with expensive purchases is that the buyer will message you and say "Oh this is actually for my sister who lives at a different address, can you ship it to 123 Scam Street please." Shipping to an address that is different than the one provided by the buyer at checkout invalidates seller protection EVEN if they ask you to do so. 

You have a few options here. The easiest would be to sign up for a "small business" account with Canada Post (https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/small-business.page) - You don't need a business number, anybody can sign up. Then print a label online using the Canada Post website. You might get a similar discount to what you would get on eBay. If you don't have a printer, you will receive an e-mail with a QR code that you can bring to the post office and have them scan for you. Of course, you can buy a Canada Post label at a Post Office but Snap Ship offers you a discount compared to the counter rates.

The other option is to sign up for an account with a service called Chit Chats. https://chitchats.com/locations/calgary - They likely have a branch near you. You need to sign up on their website and print out the label at home. They aren't like Canada Post where you can pay at the branch. You may be able to ship via USPS Priority Mail with a signature and insurance for cheaper than Canada Post. They are fairly reliable, but I haven't used them for a while. Don't select their ultra cheap shipping option as that sometimes uses alternate carriers that take a long time. Select USPS Priority or Ground Advantage (you might need priority for insurance+signature confirmation).

I would not use Fedex or UPS because you could encounter issues with brokerage fees and import charges. You absolutely should declare the proper value of the package, but USPS/Canada Post don't charge excessive brokerage charges. Fedex and UPS do. On top of that, Fedex could come after you for the charges if the customer doesn't pay them. Fedex usually sends the customer a bill AFTER the package is delivered, so the customer doesn't have to pay the charges to receive the package. 

Ultimately, you will always have issues with insurance because if your package is lost or damaged you will be at the mercy of the customer providing the postal service with the required information. Once a customer receives their refund via an eBay case, they have less incentive to comply with the insurance case outside of eBay. So if this is an important package I would opt for signature confirmation as a way to minimize the chance the package is left outside. I would also write "Do Not Safe Drop" visibly on the side of the package. That translates to, don't leave this outside a house with nobody home. Chit Chats uses a third party for insurance, so I cannot comment on how easily a claim can be settled with Chit Chats vs Canada Post. At the end of the day, I am not bullish on shipping insurance on international orders because it requires a lot of cooperation just to get a claim to go through. 

@triplecgirl 

@ilikehockeyjerseys 

It should be a matter of just upgrading to USA Expedited. The option to buy extra insurance will be available with the change. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

There is no mechanism to send money through eBay once an item is paid.

The most user friendly way to do it would be to make a blank listing called something like 'Insurance For Bill C's Order', and then send them a link to the listing. (When pasting the link in a message to them, make sure to change the address from .ca to .com if they are in the US). They can then pay through that listing, and you can simply mark it as shipped. 

eBay technically allows you to exchange eTransfer or Paypal info if a buyer has already paid and there is a legitimate reason to do so. I would encourage you to check directly with eBay's customer service before doing that because their policies may have changed. 

I don't mean to suggest insurance is useless, or that there aren't buyers who will go out of their way to ensure you receive the settlement. Only that if you're the one paying for the insurance, the likelihood and difficulties that come with receiving a settlement need to be considered when factoring in whether the price is worth it. 

It sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

You are correct.

With that said, in a situation where a seller is very concerned about insurance, I would consider buying directly through Snap Ship, even if it is slightly more expensive. There have been people anecdotally through the years who have had additional complications with claims on labels purchased through eBay.

I don't know if it is still an issue, but the gist of it is that by buying the label through eBay, eBay ends up as the purchaser of the label, not the seller. 

Someone else can clarify/correct me if I am not interpreting this correctly. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@ilikehockeyjerseys wrote:

You are correct.

With that said, in a situation where a seller is very concerned about insurance, I would consider buying directly through Snap Ship, even if it is slightly more expensive. There have been people anecdotally through the years who have had additional complications with claims on labels purchased through eBay.

I don't know if it is still an issue, but the gist of it is that by buying the label through eBay, eBay ends up as the purchaser of the label, not the seller. 

Someone else can clarify/correct me if I am not interpreting this correctly. 

@ilikehockeyjerseys 

One of the little concerns with there being no actual invoice of charges when you purchase a label with eBay. If you were to purchase with CP directly all charges are documented like signature or extra insurance. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Actually problem solved. Fedex had a eally good shipping deal offered now, but was not there this afternoon. I split the order (there were actually 5 listings) into 2 boxes still keeping customs forms straight. So, long story short, got a bit more insurance, paid for signature scceptance, and I will just eat the extra cost.  Learning experience for me. Thanks for the advice everyone. It was all very helpful.  
Is there some rhyme or reason to the way shippers offer their discounts?

Message 8 of 8
latest reply