Can you give a negative to a non-paying bidder without him giving me a retaliaton negative as well?

4kats
Community Member

The first item I sold, the bidder didn't like my shipping options which were clearly placed in ad and wanted me to ship via United States Postal Service in a flat rate box for $4 or $6. As I live in Canada, this option wasn't easily accessable so I compromised and dropped shipping costs to $10 at a loss to me. He totally ignored and I contacted ebay to get my fees back. He deserves a negative to warn other sellers (new buyer with 1 feedback) but can he give me a retalliation negative feedback even though I wasted a lot of time  (I had 2 bidders) and tried my best to accomodate him and I did nothing wrong? Not a good start and will be very careful listing other items as Ebay seems to favor the buyers. - Thanks Jef

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Can you give a negative to a non-paying bidder without him giving me a retaliaton negative as well?

Sellers can only give positive feedback or none at all. Buyers can give positive, negative or neutral feedback or none at all.

Sellers cannot give positive feedback with a "negative" message in it.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Thanks for answering. It would be nice to warn other sellers but as I said Ebay favors the buyers. - Jeff

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

The reality is that U.S. buyers will usually expect to pay US shipping prices, wherever they purchase from.  In addition, eBay has been pushing and promoting free shipping which has raised buyer expectation greatly. 

As 'poco' says, sellers can't leave anything but positive FB for buyers, and are not allowed to leave negative comments in "positive" FB for buyers.  If you do so, you may find the buyer will have eBay remove it.  

In this situation, although I understand you attempted to accommodate the buyer, from his point of view he only got half a deal on shipping.  Treat his opinion and any FB he leaves as a learning experience and try to determine what you can do with your pricing to avoid it in future if you sell mainly to the U.S. -- for example rolling some of the shipping cost into the item price and absorbing some of the rest yourself.  

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I believe you can leave a follow up to the original feedback where you should be able to warn others of any issues and that Ebay will not remove it as the original feedback was positive

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Not sure if you can even leave feedback for a non paying buyer at all, positive or otherwise. Might be interesting to try leaving a positive for a non payer and then leave an update telling the truth.

I know it works for paying buyers. Once you leave feedback, you can do a follow up which is good if you have problem buyers which are not legitimate.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

You can leave a Response to any feedback, your or his, and your Response does not have to be positive.

Like the most effective feedback, the most effective Response is calm and factual.

"Refused to pay for shipping." would pretty well cover it.

But as I said in my response to your other posting, since you seem to have won an Unpaid Item Dispute, neither of you can leave feedback.

Instead by using the UID you got your fees back, and he got a Strike that will make it harder for him to bid on other listings.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Only 2 of your current and completed listings have a shipping price showing for the U.S. so that is likely part of the problem. If it was the TCM forklift that your buyer didn't pay for, there are no U.S. prices in that listing so they probably didn't realize how much shipping would cost. Although they should have asked before buying, it does tend to cause problems when there is no shipping price shown.

Your current listing for the hood ornament does have free shipping for Canada but nothing stated for the the U.S.  If you do have the info entered, the problem could be that the dimensions are too small for the service specified.  In that situation, the calculator won't tell you there is a problem when you do the listing.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:
You can leave a Response to any feedback, your or his, and your Response does not have to be positive.

I wasn't aware that you could do this, risk-free.  I thought that would subject you to possible "disciplinary action" by eBay.

However, I believe it's still a no-no for a seller to state in further feedback that the buyer filed a dispute, of any kind.  Is that correct?

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

To the best of my knowledge, mentioning disputes and claims is still not allowed. But as I understand it, (lotta weasel words, eh?) the mention has to be brought to eBay's attention.

The most important thing in posting either feedback or Responses, is that you should be calm and factual. Other future customers will read your words. You want to look like the patron saint of patient kindly sellers who was attacked by a screeching feral scammer. 

No matter how angry you are, or how nutso the buyer's demands, future customers will decide whether they want to get into a transaction with you based on your feedback and responses left.

Well I appreciate your honesty. Not, you know, a lot. - Durran Haymer

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Thanks femme.  You never fail to make me laugh.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

The quotes are mostly Joss Whedon. Everything I know, I learned from Firefly.

“Come a day there won’t be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. This job goes south, there well may not be another. So here is us, on the raggedy edge. Don’t push me, and I won’t push you. Dong le ma?” - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Forget trying to expose a bad buyer with feedback just put on your blocked list and carry on, feedback for a seller is a double edged sword, remember takes one minute for
anyone to register.

Let EBay deal with deadbeat buyers or sellers.
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

The quotes are mostly Joss Whedon. Everything I know, I learned from Firefly.

“Come a day there won’t be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. This job goes south, there well may not be another. So here is us, on the raggedy edge. Don’t push me, and I won’t push you. Dong le ma?” - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

It was the "screeching feral scammer" that made me chuckle.  Just the image of it was enough.  Woman LOL

Message 14 of 14
latest reply