Question about returns

Im more of a seller than a buyer and for what I have bought rarely did I have to do a return.

I filed and am in the process of returning an item. Gave tracking number as well as the carrier. Today I received a reminder stating that it doesn't appear that I sent back the item. I again gave the tracking and carrier info. I looked at the history of the eBay claim and it shows I have entered the info. twice. Again it stated Great we will relay the information when your carrier provides info ( or something like that).

Is there something I am missing here

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Question about returns

I find that when there is a weird disconnect between what you know you have done and what 'the system' is telling you that you must do, the only way to rectify it is to call ebay customer service. That way, if something has gone wrong due to a technical glitch, you've got that call recorded on your case. Empty your bladder and pack a lunch before you call, though. Sometimes the wait time is VERY long before you can speak to someone, anyone and never mind finding the correct person. If it is a truly complicated issue, you might be in a position where you are educating the customer service rep. Some are very friendly yet just don't know much about ebay other than how to answer the phone. 

Or you can wait a few minutes, even hours or even days (if you have that luxury) to see if it self-corrects. Sometimes there is simply a lag.

Or it might just be one of those things that never makes sense. I've had two cancellation requests come from buyers where, if I follow all the instructions that come from ebay, I'm told to do things that directly contradict what I've already done or that I was previously told to do. I just roll my eyes and move on. Mind you, these are fairly straightforward issues where the buyer requested to cancel a purchase because 'my child was buying things on ebay while I napped/cooked/drove' and there was no real danger of money lost and/or defects on the line.

Good luck as you carry forward.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Question about returns

Sounds as if , in spite of the tracking number, the returned item has not yet been received by the seller.

Have you checked about actual arrival with Canada Post? If it went to another country, you may also find it helpful to check the website of that country's postal system.

Then there is time.

There should be no problem using Surface service within North America, but tracking or no, if you used Surface shipping overseas, the parcel will not arrive for about three months.

And you will lose the Dispute, since you get only 20 days grace.

Contact the seller, politely give the tracking number and ask him politely to refund you immediately. Politely.

He doesn't have to since the item has not yet arrived, but he does avoid problems with eBay and his selling account if he refunds instead of PP doing it and then chasing him for their money.

Thus, politely.

This is why eBay recommends first contacting the seller about problems. It gives him a chance to cooperate.

Of course, don't be overly easy-going about it. Some bad sellers will try to draw the transaction out until your 45 day deadline has passed. But most people are honest, and most sellers would rather have a clean record**than be chased by PP.

** Okay, most sellers would rather have the money. But happy customers are nice too.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply