Why is the shipping amount quoted for an item on "My E-bay", watching or bidding on, always wrong?

15 REPLIES 15

Why is the shipping amount quoted for an item on "My E-bay", watching or bidding on, always wrong?

What do you mean by "wrong"?

Can you provide a specific example? Listing number for example?

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

What I don't understand is that a seller's ad may say free shipping but then lists the cost of shipping in the checkout !

It has all gotten so confusing. And what happened to fair cost shipping ? 

PS. Canadian customer.

Keith

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

"a seller's ad may say free shipping but then lists the cost of shipping in the checkout !'

Could you please provide an actual example?  Listing number?

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Are you looking at GSP items worth C20.00 or less?

On these the shipping cost quoted in your watch list will be a few dollars less than the costs shown in the actual listing.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Perhaps I don't understand the ad.

http://offer.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BinConfirm&rev=0&item=181317704085&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&fromP...

It says free shipping , but also shows the shipping cost. Confused!!

Keith

Seems I needed to copy link to sellers ad , not confirmed buy page ,perhaps you can see original ad.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

"It says free shipping"

You should read the ad carefully.,  Nowhere does it say "free shipping".

This is a listing by an American seller using GSP.  It states

No additional import charges at delivery!

It also state:

Shipping:
US $26.10 (approx. C $28.73) International Priority Shipping to Canada

Import charges:
US $8.79 (estimated and based on current bid)

If you take the time to click on the "?" in the listing following the information, it will explain how it works.

"Perhaps I don't understand the ad."

That is a fair conclusion.
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?LH_FS=1&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=tumbling+rough&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=3

these are ads that say free shipping , yet there is a shipping cost. See the first ad on the list.

Does free shipping simply mean 'no extra import duties ' ?

Perhaps sellers mean no cost shipping to lower 48 states ?

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

OK - That is a totally different problem - Obviously a major BUG on eBay.ca where all items in that search show "free shipping".  Wrong.  Even within the USA those sellers do not offer "free shipping"

When I do the same search on eBay.com, NOT all listings offer "free shipping".

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5468.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.Xtumbling+rough&_nkw=tumbling+ro...

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

"Perhaps sellers mean no cost shipping to lower 48 states ?"

Not in this case.  To determine the shipping cost within the USA, take a listing, click on the shipping tab, change the country to "United States" and enter a valid ZIP code (I use 90210).

This will tell you how much a seller wants to ship domestically (within the USA).

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Interesting mystery.

I attempted several searches on eBay.ca using random expressions such as "red barn", "frank sinatra", "barbie dollhouse" and could not replicate your results ("free shipping" on all items).

Then I tried "tumbling rough" and got:

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_trksid=m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.Xtumbling+rough&_nkw=tumbling+rough&_sa...

As you can see, NOT all items show "free shipping".

I am at a total loss to understand why your search result page shows "free shipping" on all items when an apparently identical search does not.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Testing a bit more, it appears that the search you made, requested "free shipping" only in the panel at left.

Obviously it gave wrong results.  Not sure why.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Ok here is an example, the only one on the "My E-bay" section that I currently have. The listing has expired but that doesn't change the result. Listing number 131106518428;on the "my e-bay" summary the shipping is listed as $12.95 Cdn, and I have my correct postal code and address. On the actual item listing, the shipping is quoted at $27.19 Cdn. ?

Quite a large difference. Simon

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Odd...shipping within the U.S. is $12.95 Canadian. I don't know why it would be showing you the U.S. shipping.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

when an ad says "free shipping" but then it charges you at checkout, what it's really saying is that the seller has specified certain locations that they will ship to for a price. Like myself: anywhere in canada is free, US is 2.49$ because of cross border charges that may or may not come up, and everywhere else in the world I charge $7.99 only because it does cost more to send it farther

Message 16 of 16
latest reply