Listing only appearing in some searches: Not "Commodore 64" , but Yes in "Commodore 64 Lot"

mepaddy
Community Member

I don't understand how the ebay search mechanism works. This is one of my listings:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Commodore-64-Lot-Skyfox-Sanxion-Legacy-Ancients-Knight-Games-BAT-Overlord-BC-...

When I search for "Commodore 64 Lot" and switch to "Ending soonest", it does appear in the correct time frame. However, searching for just "Commodore 64" (without "Lot") and the listing doesn't appear. Can someone explain what I'd need to do for future listings to avoid problems like this?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Listing only appearing in some searches: Not "Commodore 64" , but Yes in "Commodo

That is weird.  I was looking on com, and, using Commodore 64, your listing does not show. Using Commodore 64 and ANY of the other words from your title and the listing shows.

Oh, I get it. Adding any of the other words helps find the listing itself, and finds it in video games.

Just searching Commodore 64 lands you in Vintage Computing. Then, you need to select video games from the list on the left and your listing shows.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Re: Listing only appearing in some searches: Not "Commodore 64" , but Yes in "Commodo

I checked and found the same results.  "Commodore 64 lot" does show up but "Commodore 64" does not.

Something is wrong.

I suggest you immediately post that problem on the weekly thread with Raphael (before the thread closes).

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Chat-Session/June-22nd-2016-Weekly-Session/m-p/341534#U341534

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Two separate categories. One search lands in one category and the other lands in a different category.

Interesting.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

You listed under video games & consoles

When you search for "Commodore 64" ebay has determined people want things under the vintage computer category and only shows those.  If you use the categories on the left and select video games, your and other listings with "commodore 64" are shown.  Its how ebay is trying to show more relevant results.  You can see beside the search bar ebay has changed it to "vintage computing"

Doesn't appear to be stopping bids for those who listed in video games.  Its not a glitch, its what they are intending to do

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Interesting. So if you search for just Commodore 64, you don't actually get all listings that include the words "Commodore 64". I never knew that (both for buying and selling). Is there a way to achieve this - both for finding _all_ listings that include the words "Commodore 64" (or any other term) and ensuring your own listing shows up for anyone else searching for those two terms?

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Searching yourself, just change the category to "all categories" after you search.  Your casual buyers will have no idea to do that, so jsut make sure to use the most relevant category possible and use the item specifics.  Look at what other successful sellers did

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Is there a way to achieve this - both for finding _all_ listings that include the words "Commodore 64" (or any other term) and ensuring your own listing shows up for anyone else searching for those two terms?

Moving from your personal problem to the larger picture, you don't want that.
For example try searching turquoise (over i million listings including bedding, cell phones and toddler clothing), then turquoise bracelet (over 73,000), then turquoise bracelet silver (35,000+), then turquoise bracelet silver navaho (10 listings, one of which is not a bracelet).

Most of us can't comprehend the huge number of listings each day on eBay.

Which is why we use Item Specifics.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@mepaddy wrote:

Interesting. So if you search for just Commodore 64, you don't actually get all listings that include the words "Commodore 64". I never knew that (both for buying and selling). Is there a way to achieve this - both for finding _all_ listings that include the words "Commodore 64" (or any other term) and ensuring your own listing shows up for anyone else searching for those two terms?

At the eBay Radio Party last June, the eBay manager said "If you are in the right category your listing will show".

The results of what we are talking about seems to indicate that buyers search in categories as well as just keywords.

This is simply interesting for going forward.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 9
latest reply